PDA

View Full Version : ex won't start

ky300ex
03-31-2005, 08:14 PM
I have a 00 300ex that i just finished putting all of the wiring back on and i can't get it to do nothing.....no lights,won't turn over at all,everything on it is dead. I know the battery is good because it will start my other 300ex. I checked and cleaned both battery connections and also made sure the ground was tight. I checked the fuse, it's still good. I tried crossing the solenoid and it turned the starter over,but it still would'nt start. I didn't have time to check to see if it was getting fire to the plug,i'll do that next. What else could it be? Bad cdi box maybe ? If it is the cdi box, how do i check it to see if it is bad ? Please give me some other idea's as to why this thing won't start.

duke416ex
04-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Check around the coil, where it bolts has to ground also. Just sounds to me like you aren't getting a ground somewhere, and that you aren't getting fire.

TCRACING425EX
04-01-2005, 12:05 PM
check fuses.

ky300ex
04-01-2005, 02:10 PM
I cleaned and checked to make sure the ground wire to the coil was tight. Also checked and replaced the fuse... it's still good. I have tried two different wiring harnesses thinking that i may have a short in the first one that i tried,so i switched it and everything else(coil,solenoid ,voltage regulator...etc) except for the cdi box. I didn't change the cdi box out becuase it was a modded box and this is going on a 330 motor. If the cdi box is bad, would i still have lights ?

2muchquad
04-01-2005, 10:00 PM
make sure your connections for the neutral safety switch are properly connected.those are the wires on the bottom of the motor next to the rear brake pedal,where the reverse cable goes.i had those wires off and the bike wont do anything.check it out..:)

ky300ex
04-03-2005, 02:38 PM
I checked the neutral switch wire and still nothing. What else could this possibly be? If the stator was bad would everything electrical on the quad be dead ? I'm trying everything possible to keep from taking this thing to the shop.

2muchquad
04-03-2005, 03:40 PM
i have heard the reverse inhibitor units will cause the same symptoms but im not positive.if you have another known good one give it a shot,make sure you connections are good,,make sure your connections are making GOOD contact behind the wire covers.dont assume its connected,same with your switches for your clutch lever(neutral safety).leave no stoned unturned,there are only so many things on a 300ex,you'll narrow it down eventually.good luck:)

ky300ex
04-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I finally got it started and everything working as it should. I checked everything with a multimeter starting at the battery. Everything checked ok until i got to the gray connector where the ignition switch,lights and cdi all connect to the rest of the wiring harness. I pulled it apart and it had a burnt or corroded connector ,so i switched it out and it fired right up.