PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads!

Dienamo111
05-12-2002, 02:39 PM
I have a new 400 ex, just bought in late march. I need to know the average length of time the factory pads last? Easy to replace???:confused:

Razorback
05-12-2002, 03:51 PM
expect the rear pads to wear out quickly, especially if you ride in dusty/sandy conditions, because the dirt/mud/sand gets in between the pads and the rotor and wears them down quicker. how quick they wear all depends on the conditions you ride in, but you'll probably have to change the rears within 3 months. the fronts will last probably a year or so. i ride in all kinds of bad conditions and have only had to change them once in over a year.

the pads are easy to change, for the rear, just a couple of bolts to remove for the caliper, then a couple of bolts that hold the pads in the caliper. the fronts are about the same, but you have to remove the wheels also. be sure when you are changing them, to clean out the caliper real good and grease the bolts that hold in the pads. this will keep them from seizing and wearing out the pads prematurely.

also, another note, every month or so, be sure to check the rear brake pedal to make sure it depresses and returns the way it should. where the pedal hooks to the frame will get dirty and eventually seize. just take it out and grease it and it will work like a champ.

good luck.

[edit] in my opinion, i wouldn't buy stock pads as replacements. get aftermarket, like ebc (part# fa84r for metallic pads). these seem to last longer. ebc also makes a severe duty pad that is supposed to last even longer, but they don't work very well when wet. whatever you get, keep in mind that kevlar pads are softer than metallic or semi-metallic, so the kevlar will wear out quicker.