PDA

View Full Version : 416 V 440

shellz4sand
03-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Who has what? I want the most pwer for riding in the sand.Which will go faster up the hills?A 440 or 416?I need speed.Will either of these even come close to staying up with a 450 or should I sell it now?Can you stroke a 400ex?

cals400ex
03-31-2005, 12:09 AM
this topic has been beat to death, search for more info if need be. what it is going to boil down to is this: what everyone has is what they will tell you to get. if power is more of a concern than the best reliability, go high compression and a large bore. it really depends on what you want to pay. these bikes can compete with the 450's. i do some drag racing for fun and my 426 hasn't lost to a stock yfz but it hasn't beat a piped one. those pipes on those bikes make a pretty big difference (even a fairly cheap slip on). yes, you can stroke the 400ex's. most people who i have talked to didn't recommend this unless you want low end power for trails or tight tracks. for dragging at the sand i wouldn't do it unless your going really huge like a 500 + cc's. you will need a cam too. a good full system will make a drastic difference when you have a pretty built engine. i am actually wishing i would have looked into destroking the bike (if that is even the correct term). this should make the bike rev higher and you can also go larger on the piston with their being less cubic centimeters. i really haven't heard of this being done much so i bet very few engine builders do this. if your going all out you might as well get a good head job as well. thermal coating several engine parts couldn't hurt either.

duke416ex
03-31-2005, 07:47 AM
Search like cal says, 426=reliable, 440=more money, not as reliable, if done right good power. Yes it can be stroked. Unless you want to work on your bike some, sell it and just buy a 450, the closer you stay to stock, the less you will be wrenching in my opinion.

norcalatver
04-01-2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by shellz4sand
Who has what? I want the most pwer for riding in the sand.Which will go faster up the hills?A 440 or 416?I need speed.Will either of these even come close to staying up with a 450 or should I sell it now?Can you stroke a 400ex?
I have a 505EX stroker that I am really happy with. The power you want really comes down to how much you want to spend. Where in Nor Cal do you ride? I'm in Sac. and my family and I ride all over. We're leaving this A.M. for Yerington.

nemesis
04-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by norcalatver
I have a 505EX stroker that I am really happy with. The power you want really comes down to how much you want to spend. Where in Nor Cal do you ride? I'm in Sac. and my family and I ride all over. We're leaving this A.M. for Yerington.
You should come up to the marysville mx track sometime. That is where I ride every thursday. It is only 30 minutes from sac.

wilkin250r
04-01-2005, 07:46 PM
The 400EX is a funny engine. I'm not exactly sure, but I think the stock deck height is really big, for some unfathomable reason. Because of this, the squish is something like 0.080 (it should be about 0.040) This is the reason I said in PM that I wouldn't really trust anybody in the Reno area to do a high-performance rebuild on a 400EX.

Unfortunately, most aftermarket pistons also have the same deck height, which means that their compression ratios aren't accurate. Thinner gaskets and/or machining the cylinder can correct this, but its something that must be done very carefully.

Many people will say that a 416 will actually rev higher than a 440, and thus would be better for sand dragging. I have a feeling much of this is due to compression ratio, I would bet that many people aren't running the compression ratio that they think they are.

Because of this funny deck height issue, I would put my money on a proffessionally-built 416 over a home-built 440 any day.

norcalatver
04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by nemesis
You should come up to the marysville mx track sometime. That is where I ride every thursday. It is only 30 minutes from sac.
Thanks for the invite, but i don't ride tracks much any more. I just ride for fun with my family and friends now.

shellz4sand
04-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Too many options! 416 v 440 v 505 stroker. I think I better ride some of these options before I dump alot of money in my engine. If I need to spend 2 grand I should just buy a 450 don't you think?I don't have a man to wrench on my bike(although my son does already rejet everything we own):cool:

BLEEDRED
04-05-2005, 10:03 AM
wilkin250r is right. I spent hours researching gasket thickness, deck height, squish and compression ratios before I set up my 440. I ended up decking .010" off the cylinder and running without a base gasket to get me 10.9:1 compression out of my 11:1 piston. Seems to run great now after a few lessons learned along the way.

Sorry to get off topic, but I would go with the 450 if I were you. Don't get me wrong, I loved building my 440 and learned a whole lot, but it would have been easier and I would have been better off in the long run to have went with a 450.

frogburner
04-05-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey, a 440 can be Extremely reliable if you do it right. Taking your time and buying good parts is the key to it all. Any Motor can be very reliable if your build them right, alot of people gripe about 440's, but I love mine, doesnt smoke a bit, never had a problem with it, and I tell people who wanna ride it, if you dont hit the rev-box, your not ridin'. Yes different size motors are going to perform different, thats obvious. Heck, I run 87 octane in mine sometimes, yes it pings, but when race is not available and I wanna ride , sure I'll dump it in. Yes my motor does get a little warmer in the woods, but you can over come that to with the right products like coolers, tanks, fuel, oil , RPM's. Go with what you think you would be happy with, not what everyone agrees on...

shellz4sand
04-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys I guess I have some thinking to do. What will make me happy is smoking all the other girls(and the pretty boys)to the top of the sand dunes.So for now I will change a few things and try it out next trip to the sand.I still have my good old two stroke to fall back on!

400exredrider
04-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by shellz4sand
Thanks guys I guess I have some thinking to do. What will make me happy is smoking all the other girls(and the pretty boys)to the top of the sand dunes.So for now I will change a few things and try it out next trip to the sand.I still have my good old two stroke to fall back on!

uhhh pretty boys huh,,, didnt know many atvers were like that:o :p :eek2: :huh

shellz4sand
04-05-2005, 08:33 PM
I meant the guys who drive around with there bikes in the back of there trucks to make it look like they ride.I didn't mean any of you.Sorry:(

400exredrider
04-05-2005, 08:40 PM
no that was my fault,,, i thought you were a guy and callin guys pretty my bad:o