PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On The Start??--I been thinkin......

QUADROOKIE
03-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I been doin alot of thinkin, maybe too much thinkin,LOL!! And I am debating on if I should just sit back on the start and let everyone go, then as I get comfortable try and see how far up I can go? This will be my first ever race, and I am REALLY nervous about the start, mainly because I am afraid my natural competative spirit will take over and I may try to force somthing and end up breaking me or the quad. I mean, I know everything will prolly be fine, but what if? Or should I TRY to take the holeshot, but if there is no chance, just hang back? I will most likely do whatever the concensus says I should, so honest opinions please! Thanks!!

5valves
03-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Go for the holeshot. I am not that fast , but do great off the line. It does make a big diffrence in the end, because all those riders who got a crappy start have to pase the slower guyss in the woods

Rdogg450
03-30-2005, 08:00 PM
My thoughts exactly on what 5valves said! The start is very important.:cool:

burrows
03-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Not always. I have seen Michael not be able to get the holeshot but he can pass well in the woods. Goes with several. They may not have the power to dominate the straight away but they ride faster and better in the woods. Just do what you feel you can do but safely. Just go out and have fun.....mommab

Johnny & Monica
03-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Just don't ride over your head and you'll be fine. Or not. Ha Ha

QUADROOKIE
03-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I decided that I have never been one to let somethin come to me, I have always gone after it, so why start now? Like when I met my wife, I didnt wait for her to come talk to me, I took control and made the first move and look where I am now........ohh....uhhh...maybe that wasnt such a good example!1LMAO!! Naw, just playin!~ But anyway, I am gonna giver hell and just go for it.

Steve-O
03-30-2005, 10:01 PM
you should know within the first ten feet if you have a shot at the holeshot. If it's not looking good just hang back, remember you cant win the race in the first corner.
good luck

UbeenSmoked
03-30-2005, 10:32 PM
i would go for the holeshot, to me when u have the faster people behind u u pushes u to go faster and to me that helps me out, but if i know that there going to go flying by me i will get over if i can

Shawn H
03-31-2005, 07:56 AM
Matt I dont buy what your selling there at all!!

Yea go for the holeshot but dont let a faster rider push you if he's faster he is going to get around you very quickly.

Thats wear riding over your head comes from.So many people get nervous and make mistakes when a faster rider approaches fast from behind.:scary:

UbeenSmoked
03-31-2005, 09:01 AM
well ya but wut im saying is its like if u follow a faster person on the track it helps u out cause u see how to take cornerss ans stuff, but when some approches me faster ir pushes me to drive harder, but thats me cuase i hate to be passed

1BADYFZ
03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
I tell ya what how about I hook up a tow rope behind my YFZ to your kawi and all you have to do is hold on for dear life, dont close your eyes!

Im not sure in harescrambles but in mx the holsehot is the most intense part of the race, nothing like 15 quads going full blast into a narrow turn. Only the lucky and fast survive.:macho I've seen a few quads destroyed from holsehots.:ermm:

Shawn H
03-31-2005, 11:20 AM
15 Quads is all you race against?

Shoot try at least 40 in his class, Thats why he was nervous first race ever and alot of people to worry about.

1BADYFZ
03-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
15 Quads is all you race against?

Shoot try at least 40 in his class, Thats why he was nervous first race ever and alot of people to worry about.

Don't you start from a dead stop in harescrambles? little less intense than the gate start in mx imo.

NEPA250R
03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
I felt the same way my first race. I figured I would just take it easy on the start, and then when the flag dropped my adrenaline pumped up and it was WOT from there on. I was actually in the top ten of thirty racers going into the first turn, but by the time we got to the woods, I had been passed by several riders. I would suggest to try to keep a clear head before the race and just do what comes natural at the start.

QUADROOKIE
03-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Steve-O
you should know within the first ten feet if you have a shot at the holeshot. If it's not looking good just hang back, remember you cant win the race in the first corner.
good luck
Actually, this is exactly what I was thinkin. I dont know about the first 10 feet, cuz I have seen several quads break away from the pack at 3/4 of the way to the 1st turn, but by half way or so, if I am not even in the hunt for a top 5, I will then pick a spot and settle in, and then go from there.

-----1badyfz........Having never raced either a mx or a xc race, I am going off of pure opinion by what I have seen. sitting behind a gate, engine running, along side 15 quads, and hammering the throttle as soon as the gate drops, to me, seems like a walk in the park compared to sitting dead engine, lined up with AT LEAST 40 other quads, wheel to wheel, with my hands on my helmet, waiting for a flagman 50 yards away to first give the "10 seconds" command, then anticipating when he will drop the flag, grab the clutch, push the button, then take off while not only keeping the front end down, but also trying to keep a straight line cuz there are quads literally right next to you, all racing to a corner or gate only usually wide enuff for 2-3 wide. Not to mention, a good portion of them prolly have no business racing, and with such a variety of skill levels, it can be a real mess sometimes. Again, just my "educated guess" as to how I would/will feel about the two types of racing.

Matt...I see what you mean I think. You may tend to relax and not push yourself to your ability if there is no "danger" of being passed. I can sort of relate, but my goal is to find a way to motivate myself to that same extent, that I ride that way even if there is nobody behind me I guess is how I look at it.

All this talk is gettin me excited!!!!!:D

dopeyferree
03-31-2005, 07:02 PM
If you can line up all the way to the out side of which ever way you are going. Then try for the holeshot, if not you only have to worry about the riders on the inside of you, your not getting pinched from both sides.

Shawn H
03-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Good advice but ya got alot farther way to go to the corner and ya best have a lead or you are going to get pinched anyways and be way outside and in last once everyone settles in place.

I try to line up the clearest,fastest line thru the corner could be the far inside but I usually line up 4-6 quads from the inside of the corner.

As far as dead engine starts to be honest 9 out of 10 quads are fired up and heading to the corner at the same time. Very few are left behind

QUADROOKIE
03-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Thats kinda what I was thinking, actually was thinking about lining up 1/4 of the way from the inside of the corner. Also, I think by being aggressive THROUGH the corner, I can pass some people there as they "lollygag" through the turn(or so it looked from the video anyway). I think I am smart enough and a good enough rider that I will just naturally react and take advantage where I can, so I should be fine.

UbeenSmoked
03-31-2005, 10:50 PM
BEST ADVICE is, not even to think about it, more u think more u will mess up, just go out and use ur natural ablility and judgment.

thats about all i can give ur really

Johnny & Monica
03-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Think about that checker flag at the end of the race,An the smile you get when your laying on the trailer foor victory is just knowing you finished It`s a good start anyway:D

Krazy KFX
04-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Scott you will do fine. My first race I was nervous as *****, but once the flag dropped the nerves were gone and I just started riding like I normally do only faster. The first corner was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Just ride like you ride You'll do fine. I cant wait to see you race day...:eek2: :eek2:

montycarlo
04-01-2005, 05:13 AM
The start and first lap are probably the most important IMO. I've never been a front runner, but I know that when I get into first lap trouble (you know.... CRASHES :D) then so many people get past you as the majority of the racers are bunched up in a pack. Once the pack gets around you- there goes the race. Yea... you can get back to the pack real easy and start picking them off one by one. It takes time and you've got nearly a couple hours to git R dun.

Stay calm and ride your quad. Note that I did not say to "lay back!" Of course, if you're riding a Warrior anything you do would be classified as "laying back" on any other quad!

QUADROOKIE
04-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Ok guys, thanks for all the advice!! It really has helped alot. I will just be confident in my ability and ride like I know I can, and I think I will do just fine. See you at The Farm!!!!:cool:

04-01-2005, 08:37 PM
once the GATE DROPS everything u ever thought about will be forgoten in an instant! :devil: