PDA

View Full Version : Possible blown tranny??

ThumPIN_450R
03-30-2005, 07:03 PM
here's the dael guys I was out at the mx track getting some practice laps in and towards the end of that day I was going into a corner and all of the sudden the quad slams to a stop with no warning at all felt exactly like a chain wadding up. I get it fired back up and go to take off and it lugs down and dies again at this put i don't know what the hell is up but something aint right so i try it one more time and I go to take of in first and it acts like it's in neutral so I push the shifter down to make shure and I am in first. I pull the shifter up and put it into the "real" neutral it's just how it should be. So i decide what the heck lets put it in second and see where I go. The quad takes off fine with no hesitation and I ride back to the trailer and drain the tranny oil to find little metal shavings in the tranny. So my question to you guys is this: WTF is up with my tranny? bent shift fork? sheared sprocket key? ripped up gear? some one help me out here.

chad502ex
03-30-2005, 07:45 PM
did you change your oil on the engine side too? What was the quality of that oil too?

chad502ex.com

ThumPIN_450R
03-30-2005, 08:28 PM
I haven't even looked at the motor oil I was at the track and I was sure it was something in the tranny so I drained the oil out of it and there was little metal peices in there. Should I check the motor oil to see if any thing is up? Are you thinking it may be the crank bearing we've been hearing so much about? the motor will sit in neutral and rev fine just like it always has it's just now first gear acts like neutral

03-30-2005, 08:31 PM
check motor oil too and see if they got mixed up

chris450R
03-30-2005, 08:39 PM
how small are the little metal shavings? because there will be or are some in the oil but they are very very small. it is from just normal wear and tear. i changed mine resently and there were very small pieces of metal in there from the tranny gears, again normal. do you think that you could have accidently hit the shifter and poped it into first and stripped it?

chris

ThumPIN_450R
03-30-2005, 08:46 PM
the peices of metal are bigger than what should be in there and I really hope it wouldn't be that easy to "strip" the gear these trannies are tougher than that. I was thinkly a bent/broke shift fork not letting it in gear or something along those lines

450 Racer R
03-30-2005, 09:06 PM
if it was the shiftfork, wouldn't you have the same problem going into second also? you said you rode it back to the pits in 2nd without a problem.

Airik79mx
03-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Last year I was at a race and this happened....It got stuck in 4th gear and wouldn't shift up or down so after the teardown this is what I found...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/Airik79mx/Misc011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/Airik79mx/Misc012.jpg

ThumPIN_450R
03-30-2005, 09:53 PM
there was no metal that big in there what did it wind up costing ya if you don't mind me asking and I 450 racer R does make sense with the shift for thing so i probably got a broke gear in there some where