PDA

View Full Version : Just blew my bike up....

TC426EX
03-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Well, I was at the track rippin some laps today and heard a clunk before coming to a stop. I look down and there is a hole the size of my palm blown out of the cases directly behind the cylinder. Whatever blew out of there (probably the rod), broke the starter off too. Thats what I get for running a high comp 426 with a stock rod. I just replaced the rod bearings at last rebuild so I dont know... Im so irritated I almost dont want to see how bad it is. Ill pull it apart by the end of the week and will get some pics of this up soon.

If you build your motor, no matter if its a 440, 426, 416 or whatever, PUT A HEAVY DUTY ROD and HD Head studs in it or suffer the consequences like me...

This season is starting out just like last season except this is way worse... Gotta get a new bottom end or whatever parts I need SOON so I can hopefully have a chance at a full race season instead of 1/2 a season like I raced last year...

:mad: :mad: :grr: :grr:

fastkid400
03-30-2005, 05:50 PM
OUCH!! hope you get it back together. Take his advice folks, better safe then riding the edge.

HondaR
03-30-2005, 08:03 PM
were you running a 4.5 stoker with the stock rod?

TC426EX
03-30-2005, 08:13 PM
No, the only thing NOT done to this motor is a stroker crank. Last time I rebuilt it I was about to shell for a Carillo or Sparks rod but just opted to put a brand new stock one I got ahold of thinking it would be fine never had any problems with it before in the 3 years Ive had this engine built). Ah well, shoulda woulda coulda....

Luckily I can do all this engine work myself so at least Ill only have to pay for the parts to fix it. I do have to say Im glad this happened now instead of in the middle of the summer...

Cody_300ex
03-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Damn man, tough luck. You broke your shift shaft last year didnt you?

HondaR
03-30-2005, 08:24 PM
yeah that sux ...but now you can go threw it and do what you want again...also i asked about the stroker with stock rod ..because powroll site says it ok for trail cruising...which why do all that engine work if you can run the s@#! out of it

TC426EX
03-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
Damn man, tough luck. You broke your shift shaft last year didnt you?

yup sure did man...

I may have a hookup on a complete bottom end off a 2003 minus the clutch and side cases. I hope I can get it. Then Ill just assesss the cylinder and see if its salvageable (probably not). Cylinders are cheap though so at most Ill just be looking at boring it out to a 426 again and getting a new piston kit. Of course Ive already ordered a HD Carillo ROD!!!

cals400ex
03-31-2005, 12:13 PM
is the cylinder shot or just the sleeve?