PDA

View Full Version : ZPS shocks

400exrider707
03-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Ok I pretty much have my quad running prime right now, but I would like to learn more about suspension setups. I have basic knowledge but I really dont understand a WHOLE lot. I was curious to know what exactly ZPS is and what it does. Also SSD. Thanks.

jacobw
03-30-2005, 12:35 PM
zps and ssd are zero preload and self sagging shocks they allow the bike to sit lower for better handling, while most of the time increasing travel. elkas uses ssd self sagging device. pep and I think axis calls it zps zero preload and tcs calls it scs sag control system its all a zero preload style shock. If you get the zero preload you will have to buy a rear zps shock or get yours converted. Elka is prob your best bet for performance and price they are top of the line and dont break the bank and Jeff@quadshop can convert your rear or get you hooked up with some elkas. The aftermarket shock come tailored to fit you and riding style and you can adjust them to fit your needs. Best money you spend will be on shocks they help alot my back always hurt after races then got elkas and its like riging a ute quad they are smooth as silk and I can walk and feel good at then end of the day.

400exrider707
03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Ok well I recently purchased a set of triple rate ZPS elkas. Im still waiting for them to come in, and plan on having my shock revalved anyway. I was thinking of sending it to GT thunder for the revalve and linkage kit for $250, but I dont think that will convert it to ZPS will it? How much will jeff@thequadshop charge for something like that? Also why do you NEED to have the rear shock set up to ZPS as well if you do the fronts? Thanks for the info so far.

QuadJunkies
03-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Im diggin my Elkas but may have to send them back to have the Rear Redone. They are set all the way and still too soft on the rear :ermm: . Its amazing the difference shocks can REALLY make!:)

400exrider707
03-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Ok well I recently purchased a set of triple rate ZPS elkas. Im still waiting for them to come in, and plan on having my shock revalved anyway. I was thinking of sending it to GT thunder for the revalve and linkage kit for $250, but I dont think that will convert it to ZPS will it? How much will jeff@thequadshop charge for something like that? Also why do you NEED to have the rear shock set up to ZPS as well if you do the fronts? Thanks for the info so far.

Anybody?

jacobw
03-31-2005, 11:48 AM
if you put zps in the front it will lower the bike and if you dont lower the back the same or slightly more like you did in the front your rear shock will buck and the conversion will make your single rate rear a dual rate. The conversion are around 220. give or take you will have to call to be sure. I am sure laz and gt thunder will convert it to a zps and since you already have sent it to him have him convert it just call him and tell him what you are want to do and tell him what you told the people you got your fronts from so he will set it up the same.

400exrider707
03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
well I haven't sent out my rear yet, but I had planned on sending it to him. I will be sending it somewhere very soon. I know he has a conversion to revalve for my weight and it comes with a new linkage for $250. (bearings installed). So far this is the best deal that I've seen.

LT250Racer609
03-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

hey...i forgot ur name but i have talked to you before...i race quad Am at royal...i had the legacy 450R but now i got the lonestar 250R...anyways

GT thunder does convert them to ZPS and you need to have the rear ZPS as like the fronys ZPS so it sags evenly and handles right...if u had front ZPS and a reg. rear non ZPS shock...ur rear end is gonna ride like **** and vise versa with ur front end...the shocks react differently

400exrider707
03-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Ok thaks thats the answer I was looking for. I had planned on sending my rear shock out anyway so I guess I should do it as soon as possible so I can have it back by the time my elkas come in. Anyone know the average turnaround time of sending a shock out? Thanks

QuadRacer041
03-31-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Im diggin my Elkas but may have to send them back to have the Rear Redone. They are set all the way and still too soft on the rear :ermm: . Its amazing the difference shocks can REALLY make!:)

were did you get the rear from?
i cant believe elka is still having problems setting up shocks right the first time.thats why i gave up on them.

400EXracer74
04-01-2005, 11:06 AM
i have the rear gt thunder linkage and they just revalved my rear shock. the linkage lowered the back 2 inches. and the revalve made it so i could loosen the spring a lot more and i got it about 3-4 inches lower in the back which will work fine with ZPS.

400exrider707
04-02-2005, 12:49 AM
I ended up buying an extra rear shock which already has an elka dual rate conversion on it. That should match my triple rates just nicely.:D