PDA

View Full Version : UNI or K&N???

300exDust
03-30-2005, 08:17 AM
OK, my HMF slip on should be come'n in next week. HMF have been backed up lately I guess so if anyone has an order out to HMF be patient.....

When I get the pipe I'll toss a good filter on at the same time. I was told the UNI will do "almost" the same as a K&N for 20 bones cheaper. Just looking for a few opinions. Financialy and logically the UNI sounds liek a better deal. I don't see how one performance filter could be "much" better than the other. Atleast not 20 bux better, ya know what I mean?

I also have a jet kit come'n with the pipe. So I'll have it jetted,pipped and a new air filter on a 05 300ex. Should run good? I hope so....:mad:

04'400ex'er
03-30-2005, 09:08 AM
well, the K&N will allow more airflow which in return will create more horsepower. The UNI, being a foam filter, will will not flow as much air as the K&N but will filter out the elements. You will probably have a little crisper throttle response with the K&N and maybe a little torque. But not alot. It depends if you want all the possible power or best filtration.

300exDust
03-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by 300exDust
OK, my HMF slip on should be come'n in next week. HMF have been backed up lately I guess so if anyone has an order out to HMF be patient.....

When I get the pipe I'll toss a good filter on at the same time. I was told the UNI will do "almost" the same as a K&N for 20 bones cheaper. Just looking for a few opinions. Financialy and logically the UNI sounds liek a better deal. I don't see how one performance filter could be "much" better than the other. Atleast not 20 bux better, ya know what I mean?

I also have a jet kit come'n with the pipe. So I'll have it jetted,pipped and a new air filter on a 05 300ex. Should run good? I hope so....:mad:

So let me get this straight, UNI = better filtration K&N = less filtration and more HP.

Obviously when you allow more air there will be more dirt and "whatnot", thats why you say less filtration right? Well I do a good big of ride'n through mud and trails so I should probably go with the UNI until a XC race or something. good understanding? I'll just buy a K&N for races and when I'm done put on the UNI. :confused: sound good??

04'400ex'er
03-30-2005, 09:22 AM
So let me get this straight, UNI = better filtration K&N = less filtration and more HP.

Obviously when you allow more air there will be more dirt and "whatnot", thats why you say less filtration right? Well I do a good big of ride'n through mud and trails so I should probably go with the UNI until a XC race or something. good understanding? I'll just buy a K&N for races and when I'm done put on the UNI. :confused: sound good?? Well its a given that foam will filter better than a paper filter, but I ride through all kinds of stuff with my K&N and Outerwears, but no air box lid. even sand. I had it on for like six months and not cleaned it. When I took it off there was stuff all over the outerwears and sand and dirt and water and grass all in the airbox, but the inside of the K&N looked brand new. The outside was filthy. there was no dust on the inside of the intake boot either so I have no reason to switch filters. Just make sure you you oil whatever filter you get really well.

300exDust
03-30-2005, 09:34 AM
ok sounds good, thanks for the help man! Maybe I'll just fork over the exrta 20 bones and get a K&N. Put some holes in the Airbox lid nad be set.

04'400ex'er
03-30-2005, 09:35 AM
ok sounds good, thanks for the help man! Maybe I'll just fork over the exrta 20 bones and get a K&N. Put some holes in the Airbox lid nad be set. I wouldnt go to cuttin holes in the airbox lid. just take it off.

wilkin250r
03-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Try a search, the UNI vs K&N debate has been beaten to death from every angle. Many people have had problems with K&N letting in fine dirt, but personally, I think it's due to improper oiling. I've run a K&N in the most god-awful dusty conditions on earth, without an airbox at all, and I've never had any problems.

mx400
03-30-2005, 09:42 AM
for you I would reccomend a K&N Filter, Outerwears Pre Filter, and an Air Box Lid from Outerwears or K&N.

300exDust
03-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Well it sure seems to be the fact that if you have a very well oiled K&N than you'll be sweet, lid or no lid. Why would you sy not drilling holes in the lid? I've heard of a good bit of people doing that rather than takingthe whole thing off....:confused:

(need go for a drive been at my desk for too long, I'll be back around 4 to BS more about all this if anyone wants to continue)

300EX777
03-30-2005, 11:00 AM
i just took my bike in to have motor work done and my mechanic looked at my k&n with outerwear and just shook his head. he said last year he had to rebuild about 5 motors (raptors and 450's)because the k&n allowed way to much dirt in.

remember more flow usually means more dirt. if you insist on the k&n make sure you have the outerwear and i would even get the outerwear airbox lid instead of running no lid.

my mechanics name is dennis and he owns trs cycle in nixa, mo. he sells a filter that has much flow or more than the k&n and has twice the protection. give him a call 417-725-4433

people dont realize how important your filter is. no matter what kind you use you should clean and oil it religiously.

aci clay
03-30-2005, 11:59 AM
i've used both filters and they both work great, just be sure to keep em clean and be sure there're sealed tight ay the boot. If you drill holes in your lid you won't be able to put it back on in real wet conditions and get any protection, and you know the wetter it gets the more protection you should have.

03-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by 300EX777
i just took my bike in to have motor work done and my mechanic looked at my k&n with outerwear and just shook his head. he said last year he had to rebuild about 5 motors (raptors and 450's)because the k&n allowed way to much dirt in.

remember more flow usually means more dirt. if you insist on the k&n make sure you have the outerwear and i would even get the outerwear airbox lid instead of running no lid.

my mechanics name is dennis and he owns trs cycle in nixa, mo. he sells a filter that has much flow or more than the k&n and has twice the protection. give him a call 417-725-4433

people dont realize how important your filter is. no matter what kind you use you should clean and oil it religiously.

I made a post about the k&n/uni deal about a month back.. and got mixed responses.. BUT.. the one response that i did get, that i already knew before i even made the thread was this.

K&N filters have been around for ages, they are TRIED AND TRUE.. whoever says they let dirt in is smoking crack and needs to LEARN how to PROPERLY MAINTAIN THE FILTER!

I have been using k&n filters on everything from 9 second drag cars, to 120+mph boats to lawn mowers.. and i have NEVER had a issue with them.. NEVER had dirt inside of the intake path.. speaking of which.. i rode in DRY clay the other day, no airbox lid, NO OUTERWEAR, with a PROPERLY oiled k&n filter, took it off today to clean it and re oil it, and guess what, NOTHING inside of the intake tube.. and just to pacify some of you people i DID stick my finger in there and nothing.. so the k&n haters your point is MOOT..

As for the guy whos post i quoted... your mechanic, or the one you talked too rebuilt those motors because the owners didnt know how to properly maintain the filter.. period..

If you run your quad with the same oil that it came with, tell me EXACTLY how long do you think it will last? If you run your quad after it has been sitting all winter, with the same gas, do you think nothing is going to happen?

Common people, as one other said, this issue has been beat to death, LITERALLY over and over and over again..

im not trying to bash anyone, just kinda tired of hearing people trash a good product, when THEY make it a bad product..

Now here is how you PROPERLY MAINTAIN a k&n filter..

I personally clean mine depending on how bad the airbox looks.. yea some may say thats the wrong thing to do.. but it usually gets done every other ride, never anymore than that.. so we will say every 2 rides it gets cleaned..

Take the cleaner and spray the hell out of it.. let it sit for about 10-15 minutes.. then go grab your hose and spray it out.. INSIDE OUT not OUTSIDE IN! that is absolutly KEY ... you have to spray it from the inside out.. once you have sprayed the cleaner out, and it looks brighter.. sit it out for about 4 or 5 hours, to dry... IT HAS TO BE COMPLETELY DRY or you will let dirt in LOL.. this is where people screw it up.. i cannot stress enough that you have to let it dry.. i usually set mine out in the sun and it takes about 2 to 3 hours..

Now.. you take the oil, and hold the can about 3 inches from the filter, spraying back and forth while rotating the filter.. to get a nice even coverage.. let that stuff tack up for about 30 minutes, and then stick it back on your quad and be worry free of any dirt getting in.

Hope this helped clear up some peoples thoughts on k&n

Jesse

mx400
03-30-2005, 01:21 PM
great great post jesse. couldn't have said it better myself. I will only run a K&N and anything I have. My truck has it, my jet ski has one and my 400 has one. I run a K&N w/ pre-filter and lid. No problems. I oil mine about every other ride. Rinse, dry, oil, set-up, then install.

K&N will never fail to be the best filter maker in the world.