PDA

View Full Version : i put methanol in my wheeler

MY450R
03-30-2005, 07:57 AM
this past weekend i put like maybe 2 cups of meth in my tank with a full tank of gas.will this destroy my motor ?
im just thinking it will clean out carbon deposits and not be that harmful at all
it definatly didnt bog down as much and i know it cant be good for it ,but i would like to know if it will hurt it .
i dont plan on doing it all the time and i only put a little in it
motor has no mods and its my 450r

03-30-2005, 01:02 PM
i would say you need to pray now and drain and flush your fuel...why not just run 93 in it and not worry about that crap?

CannondaleRider
03-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Why would you do that before asking at least?

Thats crazy

zedicus00
03-30-2005, 03:04 PM
just a lil bit wont hurt but 2 cups in what 3 gallons is a fair amount keep thinning it out as u go and dont run it WFO and u would prolly b o.k.

derekhonda
03-30-2005, 03:13 PM
its a very heavy acid, now you need to get a base in there or else you will be ****ed, milk should work.

zedicus00
03-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
its a very heavy acid, now you need to get a base in there or else you will be ****ed, milk should work.

hahah thas good. would hav been believable but milk is actually slightly acidic.

kenwoodjeff
03-30-2005, 03:42 PM
You should be ok, the only thing that could hurt it is if you leave that mix in there for a long period of time. What it will do is dry out all the seals in the Carb. its not gonna hurt the motor, nor will it give you and performance gains or clean out any deposits. Now what you can do if you think that you have deposits building up is run about 1/2 cup of diesal in there, not only will the diesal raise the octaine level but diesel has deturgents in it that does a very good job at cleaning out your fuel system ( all them fuel injector cleaners are is a bottle of diesal, save some money and pour about 1/2 liter in you car nect time you want to clean the fuel system)

zedicus00
03-30-2005, 03:48 PM
yup, kenwood is right on but i didnt know how well a carbed engine would take to the diesel fuel.

derekhonda
03-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
hahah thas good. would hav been believable but milk is actually slightly acidic.

Woops, guess ill stick with my business classes then.

SRH
03-30-2005, 04:53 PM
whyyyyyyyyy would you do that...

jdb8297
03-30-2005, 06:20 PM
Methanol is a very dry fuel and over time it will dry up seals but if you put with gas the gas has enough petroluem in it not to hurt anything, methanol takes a little more that that and a little longer to hurt anything!
I would try to run the gas out of it and put some more fuel in it!!
If you want to clean carbon deposit or carb put SEA FOAM in it run a little and then let it set. Sea foam is made for outboard motors but it is some really good stuff!

bulkdriverlp
03-30-2005, 06:22 PM
it wont hurt anything, methanol will actually dry up any moisture in your tank and fuel system. methanol burns real clean also.

chucked
03-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by jdb8297
Methanol is a very dry fuel and over time it will dry up seals but if you put with gas the gas has enough petroluem in it not to hurt anything, methanol takes a little more that that and a little longer to hurt anything!
I would try to run the gas out of it and put some more fuel in it!!
If you want to clean carbon deposit or carb put SEA FOAM in it run a little and then let it set. Sea foam is made for outboard motors but it is some really good stuff! sea foam is great!

JTRtrx250r
03-31-2005, 08:46 AM
methanol, draws mositure from the air(look at some oil thats been run thru a V8 for 1 race...it'll explain the term MilkToast!) and will dry out seals(if its not flushed w/ gas)

its also a diffrent specific gravity

and has a much slower burnrate

you should be fine, but dont do that to often unless your carbs set-up for it and its runs on it haha;) :D