PDA

View Full Version : ohlins rebuild???

nopulse95
03-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I bought some ohlins shocks from a cannondale, thinking they would be better than my stockers, and since the price was right. My question is, I've heard that they are rebuildable, and that I could even put dual, or triple rate springs on them. Is this true, and has anyone done it? If so, would it be cheaper just to buy some works, or entry level elkas? Thanks

Bill Fuller
03-29-2005, 05:02 PM
Jeff from the Quadshop does great work on Ohlins shocks.

jacobw
03-30-2005, 07:16 AM
the speed ohlins off the cannondale are dual rate already they are a progressivley wound spring making them a dual rate JEFF@QUADSHOP can convert them to a ssd style triple rate or a triple rate by adding another springs and such and can valve them for your bike that you are putting them on. Yes the speed ohlins are rebuildable and revalvable shocks you can get them converted for about 320 and they will be as good as a entry level elka. Ohlins are superior quality shocks.

bradley300
03-30-2005, 08:19 AM
pro action also does good work on ohlins.

i just assume you have a 400ex/z400? if so, you'll probably have trouble getting someone to valve them for those machines since the stroke is different

nopulse95
03-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Yes, they are for a 400ex, I thought that dual rate meant it had two springs, which it doesn't. So it is just a tighter winding on one side that acts as two seperate springs, with different tensions? What would be different about the valving? Isn't it the same shock length? Or is it a weight difference too?

jacobw
03-30-2005, 01:49 PM
the geometry on the 400ex and cannondale are very close it just the shock travel is slightly different you should be able to get the guy that does the conversion to get it pretty close. yes they are progressively wound so one spring has 2 different spring rates makine it a dual rate spring. If you add another spring it will be a triple rate whether or not you get the ssd conversion on it. It will be a good improvement over stock. With the ssd conversion and some valving changes it will feel as good as the elka w/o rezzies. and a little cheaper. Call jeff@quadshop and talk to him he may be able to answer more of your questions and can help you out.