PDA

View Full Version : starting and jetting after rebuild

nopulse95
03-29-2005, 02:05 PM
This winter i put a je 10.8:1 416 piston, hotcams stage 2, full white bros. r4, white bros. filter. I've got a 42 pilot, and 160 main. Stock needle position and air fuel mixture screw. When starting, it seems like it may be a little rich, it doesn't want to idle easy, the idle seemed a little low, and turning that up helped little. I'm at 900ft. Any suggestions on jetting? Does only the pilot jet affect start up and low rpm? Or does the air, fuel mixture screw also?

cals400ex
03-29-2005, 04:46 PM
the fuel screw is a fine tune adjustment for the pilot jet. i usually start around 2.5 turns out from lightly seated with a 42 pilot jet in place. your bike will probably want the needle clip moved down one position too. it isn't uncommon that you may need to raise the idle with a different cam. adjust the idle to where it needs to be or feels right.

nopulse95
03-29-2005, 05:28 PM
adjusting the needle clip down, that would give me more fuel as I open the throttle, correct? Would that affect my low rpm, idle and starting. I'm still in the break-in process, so I don't know for sure if my 160 main is too rich or lean, i though it'd be a little rich if anything, but it doesn't break up or anything. Also, I have the air box lid on. Whats the best way to tell if the needle should be adjusted?

cals400ex
03-30-2005, 01:44 PM
ride at night and at cruising speed (very little throttle) and see if the headers are glowing a bit. mine always were glowing. in the cold weather my bike would also studder when i barely hit the gas when the bike was cold. i think most need the needle clip in the 4th position once they do a cam/piston, etc. however, temperature and elevation do matter. i found the needle clip to make a difference from right off idle to 3/4 throttle.