PDA

View Full Version : Breaking outer axle nut free???

YFZRob
03-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Does anyone have any tips for breaking the outer axle nut free? I know it's a left hand thread, so you would be turning the nut to the left (when facing it) to tighten. And to remove the retaining clip, you tighten the outer lock nut to expose the retaining clip, correct? The inner lock nut was loose to begin with, but I cannot get this outer nut to budge, in either direction! Any tips on freeing it up? One of my problems is the lack of a true wrench. I don't have anything close to that size, so I am just using monster channel lock pliers. I can get a damn high amount of torque applied because these things are huge, but what I cannot do is get a hammer on it to try to loosen. This may be the only way to break it free. Thanks for any help.

JTRtrx250r
03-29-2005, 09:49 AM
I experianced 1 like that in the past, we hit it w/ wrenches / hammers and finally heat w/ a torch, turned out the previous owner used silicon on the threads:huh

Be careful w/ the skinny nut...it can deform real easy and be another PITA to deal w/. but once you unload the load...it should make the other 1 easier, maybe try some heat...the little o-rings are cheap so if ya cook 1, its not a big thing. If the threads are messed up...its gonna be a real bi'otch to get loose, but maybe try heating it up w/ a torch

Once you do get it off...trace out the lock-nuts on a peice of steel plate...then cut them out w/ a handle and you got yourself some cheap custom R locknut tools;) cheap and effective haha

Tell ya what...if you have to end up really beating it up... I got another 1 for ya, just let me know, I got about 4 or 5 of them

Good Luck Rob!!

YFZRob
03-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Jeremy,

Thanks for the help! I will get at it again today, this time with some heat involved. That was my next try. I have an auto parts store here in town that has the largest selection of open end wrenches known to man, so I am almost certain they'll have a 45 mm wrench, but your idea of making them is something I would have never thought of. That wrench will probably be a good $30+, not sure how much the actual axle nut wrench is.

bradley300
03-29-2005, 10:16 AM
i always used a big pipe wrench, the teeth on the pipe wrench are angled so they dig in instea of sliding off. worked great on my 300

YFZRob
03-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Awesome suggestion!!! I will go grab one today at Blowes or Home Cheapo! Much more useful in the future than a 45mm open end wrench!

Doibugu2
03-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Most auto stores will let you rent tools now adays. So it may be cheaper then what you think.

elchankoblanko
03-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Most auto stores will let you rent tools now adays. So it may be cheaper then what you think.

I was gunna rent a tool once but to rent it it was like 30 bucks but to buy it it was like 40, so figure that out. :confused:

Doibugu2
03-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by elchankoblanko
I was gunna rent a tool once but to rent it it was like 30 bucks but to buy it it was like 40, so figure that out. :confused:

figures. I would have done the same. I know I have seen on TV that they will let you borrow the tools. But maybe that is "JUST TV":eek2:

YFZRob
03-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Well, at least here in FL, you can borrow the tools for a deposit of around $40 which is fully refunded upon return. BUT, that's usually for specialty auto tools like spring compressors, ring compressors, ect, ect. I'm still going to attack it with a big pipe wrench....that should get the job done!

jonc623
03-30-2005, 08:56 AM
i use a 24 inch adjustable on mine and it works good

YFZRob
03-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Ajustable as in a crescent wrench?

250R-Dee
03-30-2005, 09:09 AM
I used (2) large adjustable wrenches for industrial equipment with a (2) 3-foot sections of pipe connected to them. Worked like a charm:D