PDA

View Full Version : 330 big bor kit do i need a stroker crank

RickyG
03-28-2005, 10:19 PM
i want to go with a 330 big bore kit on a 96 300ex but i heard that need a stroker crank. i have just bought a new stock crank do i need to buy a stroker rod or will the stock crank hold up with the 330 kit

oriclez
03-28-2005, 10:22 PM
......No.

Fast350ex
03-28-2005, 11:17 PM
If you go 330 you should be fine with stock.

2muchquad
03-29-2005, 06:55 AM
you dom not need a stroker crank for the 330.you can get that through boring or another sleeve install

Braff1
03-29-2005, 08:14 AM
The 330 kit does not require stroking the crank. You will have to have a new sleeve put in and honed to match the piston.

300EX777
03-29-2005, 09:13 AM
If you stroked your 330 kit it would kick you up to 352cc. Check out powroll.com's premuim kit. With the stroker you would have more torque than the 330 kit.

bradley300
03-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 300EX777
If you stroked your 330 kit it would kick you up to 352cc. Check out powroll.com's premuim kit. With the stroker you would have more torque than the 330 kit.
that depends on how manny mm you stroke it. on a 300ex, there isnt much power to be made in stroking anyway, you can make just as much with a big bore for less money

300EX777
03-29-2005, 10:18 AM
i would have to disagree with you, all though is depends on what your definition of power is.

to me power = torque. i race flat track/tt and torque is as important to me as top speed. with a stroker i can now wholeshot 80% than before. i also can come out of corners hotter now than before and this allows me to catch riders quickly.

to each his own though and price is important to many people. i however regretted not stroking my motor and now am very pleased. i would not recommend stroking for trail riders, race applications only!!!

ghak99
03-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 300EX777
i would have to disagree with you, all though is depends on what your definition of power is.

to me power = torque. i race flat track/tt and torque is as important to me as top speed. with a stroker i can now wholeshot 80% than before. i also can come out of corners hotter now than before and this allows me to catch riders quickly.

to each his own though and price is important to many people. i however regretted not stroking my motor and now am very pleased. i would not recommend stroking for trail riders, race applications only!!!

I think what bradley was getting at is for the cost of stroking a 300ex there is not that much gains without a completely built motor. You can only stroke a 300ex like 4mm, with out a completely built motor most people might not notice a big difference compared to what it cost them.

By the way where do you Flat track/TT race at?

ghak99
03-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by RickyG
i want to go with a 330 big bore kit on a 96 300ex but i heard that need a stroker crank. i have just bought a new stock crank do i need to buy a stroker rod or will the stock crank hold up with the 330 kit

You do not need a stroker crank, but it would compliment the big bore well. If you have not put the crank in yet you might consider having a heavy duty rod put on it if you don't stroke it. The heavy duty rod will not make you motor run any better, but might make it last a lot longer since the stock rods are not exactly designed to handle big piston kits. The heavier rod is made to handle the abuse the weight of the piston gives it.

300EX777
03-29-2005, 12:34 PM
i race in southwest missouri and live in branson. the racing series i raced last year was hoska racing. we also had a local track at clever (silverlakeraceway) that had some tt racing.

this year there is going to be a brand new huge, pro quality track going in near chadwick. it will be nice because it will only be 30 minutes from my house. www.ozarkatvraceway.com tell everyone about it. they will have rv hookups (electrical) in the parking lot. we plan to have riders come from way down in arkansas as well. definitely going to be some great racing this season.