PDA

View Full Version : scam cell calls?

SRH
03-28-2005, 09:15 PM
occasionally i get this call from a phone number like 00145 or 1039849958398 on my cell phone and its some ...sounds arabic guy speaking broken english asking for robert and wanting to know if want 5 grand...or 5 grand in the bank or something, why does the number show up like that? whenever i call back it cuts off or its a machine

Ralph
03-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by SRH
occasionally i get this call from a phone number like 00145 or 1039849958398 on my cell phone and its some ...sounds arabic guy speaking broken english asking for robert and wanting to know if want 5 grand...or 5 grand in the bank or something, why does the number show up like that? whenever i call back it cuts off or its a machine

if its international,

001 is an international line , 45 is the country code and then the rest is the number from that country

03-28-2005, 10:24 PM
i think he wants you

250R-Dee
03-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Here in Japan we get hit with the "ringback" scammers. They will call your cell phone and let it ring once. If you call back a BIG charge will show up on your phone bill. This usually done by small time mafia (Yakuza) cells and they will drive you crazy if you do not pay. It is NOT illegal to NOT pay them but they will hound you will many calls hoping that you will give in. This works on Japanese people because they give in to the pressure but we goofy foreigners just laugh at them. If we report the charge to our service provider they will ignore the charge because they know it is a scam.

My experience - I called back just to see what would happen. 3 weeks later when I got my bill there was an extra $500 charge tacked on to it. I showed this to my provider and they told me I didn't have to pay it. 1 week later some punk speaking jabonics (japanese ebonics) called me and tried to impress me with his eloquent use japanese ghetto lyrics. I giggled and said " I don't speak Japanese". This confused the guy since I answered the phone in Japanese :D . He badgering me for 5 minutes until I started to speak spanish:p. He got really pissed, told me he would call my boss and get me fired if I didn't pay (in Japanese). I lauged and said in english, "is the sushi you deliver fresh or is it that frozen crap from Russia?"

After 3 more calls the guys finally gave up because I kept changing languages on him. My service provider reported the calls to the police and found out that I was among 25 or so people who had been harassed by this caller(s). I am sure it was more than one person because the caller sounded different each time.

The bad part is many japanese people actually pay these fools!!:confused:

02 Red Rider
03-28-2005, 10:51 PM
OK TRX250RJAPAN,

After reading that response I am very curious about 2 things:

1> Obvouisly you are multi-lingual, how many languages?
2> What do you do for a living? (Curious because of location and languages)

Just being nosey:D

250R-Dee
03-28-2005, 11:26 PM
I speak english, spanish, Japanese, Okinawa dialect of japanese, mandarin (chinese), cantonese (chinese), creole french, bits of the cherokee & chickasaw dialects and...... ebonics. I have good a understanding of portugese, vietnamese, korean, Italian and Gerrman.

I was an Army brat and I did a couple enlistments with the USMC so I have picked up a few languages over the years.

My job.......:cool: . I work for the USMC.

Being able to speak mulltiple languages isn't fun because sometimes I will run a couple languages together. I'll speak half one language and half another without noticing my mistake. My friends get a kick out of this but I don't think it's funny:grr:

It is cool when you have two or more people who can do this. Last week in a bar we had a conversation going with 5 languages at one time. I got lost a couple times but it was fun:chinese:

kamikaze_rzrbak
03-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by TRX250RJapan
I speak english, spanish, Japanese, Okinawa dialect of japanese, mandarin (chinese), cantonese (chinese), creole french, bits of the cherokee & chickasaw dialects and...... ebonics. I have good a understanding of portugese, vietnamese, korean, Italian and Gerrman.

I was an Army brat and I did a couple enlistments with the USMC so I have picked up a few languages over the years.

My job.......:cool: . I work for the USMC.
damn:eek2: thats a hell of a list

400ex28
03-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by kamikaze_rzrbak
damn:eek2: thats a hell of a list

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

nebjamin
03-28-2005, 11:35 PM
Sé que guardo el conseguir de una llamada a partir de la 000-000-0000. Entonces será a veces como 000-000-0001. Cuando contesto nadie negociaciones y cuando la llamo nadie respuestas suceden alrededor dos veces un día.

OH- auch Hoffnung I können Sie dieses lesen, da Sie jedes Sprachenlol kennen.

btw, funny story.