PDA

View Full Version : Newbie HELP

phillip300ex
03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
ok im kinda new at this. i have a 96 300 ex and i cant afford a new 4 wheeler so what i want to do is rebuild the motor and maybe put a big bore kit in it. what i need to know is what all i need to do or have done to complete this. i have expirence rebuilding car engines and stuff like that so any help would be great!:confused:
also will there need to be tranny work done too???

oriclez
03-28-2005, 07:35 PM
If you have rebuilt car engines this wont be a problem. A lot less to worry about and more simple. Same stuff you basiclly need for a car engine though. Check parts for wear and tear, a lot simpler take down. You don't have to remove all those damn extra parts.

phillip300ex
03-28-2005, 07:41 PM
so youre saying that its not near as comp;icated as a car engine? can you give me some info on how to get more power out of my engine while doing the rebuild? what about the tranny will i need to change anyhting on that?

honduh440
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
dont need to change the tranny.
since ur obviously getting a new piston get one with higher compression to gain power. also cams are pretty cheap just over 100-200 depending on which you get. that will deffinatly wake up the quad. just get a service manual for ur bike and u can do a rebuild no problem

oriclez
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
It all depends on your budget. A wise investement I would make is instead of sending the heads to get ported by a company, buy yourself a nice dremel.
Theres some book made by one of the worlds best engine builders on how to port and polish heads. This would be a really wise investment.

phillip300ex
03-28-2005, 07:49 PM
ok so where is a good place to start looking for rebuild kits. i looked in dennis kirk but i want to look some more before i buy. i jsut bought a brand new dremmel tool, now any ideas on where i can get my hands on that book? also how do i know when i put it all together that i get my clutch adjsuted right? b/c im going to put a new one in

oriclez
03-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Get a clymers(sp?) manual. Ebay.com has some probally otherwise rockymountainatv.com or something. This will tell you how to install a new clutch, ect. As for a site to order a bore kit off of it depends. If you just want a high comp piston ebay.com has them. Another option would be going to like hetrickracing.com and for $600 you can get it bored, camed, springs, ect. This includes labor.