PDA

View Full Version : fliped rims?

capecod400ex
03-28-2005, 05:36 PM
any one know how to do this, like how to plug the valve and move it over to the other side and also if this is worth it or not, i was going to do this and put rear speacers on because I am low on funds and I rarely jump over 3 feet high but want to make the 400 wider, Do you dont think i will break any thing?

drifterx
03-28-2005, 06:13 PM
You unmount the tire, flip the valve inside out, and redrill and put a new valve in on the other side. It works, but the support washers are only on the outside of the rim, not the inside, so it might damage them after time. More bumpsteer too. It will also cause more leverage on the front end, more stress, causing bearings and such to wear out earlier, but if you don't jump over 3 ft. i think you'd be allright.

FoxRacing81
03-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Okay...here are my instructions for flipping front rims.

1. Remove front rims from quad.
2. Break tire bead. (Break both sides of the tire if you choose to go Option B below, If you choose to do Option A, only break the side with the valve stem), it is only nessacary to break the bead, not to take the tire off..A good way to break the bead is run part of the tire over with a truck or car...and have someone stand on the other side of the tire.)
3. Now you have some options.

Option A: Go buy some flush valve stems. They only stick out to a little past your rim.
If you buy flush valve stems, you need to remove the old valve stem and put the new one in. Then, to place the tire back on the bead, just put air in it til you hear a pop and see that the tire is back on the bead. Then adjust air pressure to your requirments and remount on tires on quad.

Option B: Go buy 4 valve stems (you will only need 2 valve stems if you do Option B below), and some RTV Silicone Glue.
You will then need a drill bit that is a slightly smaller then the biggest part of the valve stem. This next part is kind've tricky to explain. Then you need to find a point on the other side of the rim that is 180 degrees opposite of the valve stem on the other side.
(See Example Below). Drill the hole about 1 1/2inches inside the rim. Stick new valve stem in hole.
Now for the other side, You have two options here.

Option A: Remove old valve stem. You will probably break it will taking it out, thats why you need 4. Flip one of the new valve stems upside-down into the whole. Fill hole in valve stem with RTV Glue so it seals. Let sit and then put air in to see if it holds. If it doesn't add more glue. Then add air til its back on the bead and rettach to the quad.

Option B: (This is a very may I say...rigged way to do it...but it works..I have done it before)
Cut old valve stem to very short. Take a very small screw that fits in the hole of the valve stem. Put lots of RTV glue on screw and in the hole. Take a drill and drill the screw into the hole. Let sit until glue dries. Then check for leaks, blow back on bead, and reattach to quad.

EXAMPLE
Key
|=Regular side of rim
(=Flipped side of rim

_______New Valve stem ->( |
______________________( |
______________________( |<-Original Valve stem

If that makes ANY sense at all haha!...but yeah...thats the only way I can sorta describe it.

I would reccomend this. It'll improve your handling alot and theres not much risk.

-Mx

400ex2072
03-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Dont do it man, youre quad will handle like $hit....

greg24v
03-28-2005, 11:38 PM
this is what i did. take off the front wheels, put 4 washers on each stud of the front wheels, turn the wheels inside out, remount the wheels, yer done. it made it wider and it handles better too. youll need 32 washers total.

400exrider707
03-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by 400ex2072

03-29-2005, 09:57 AM

greg24v
03-30-2005, 10:59 PM
how bout ya just friggin do it and find out for yer self

capecod400ex
03-31-2005, 06:01 AM
Cause if it friggin sucks i dont want to waste my figgin time screwing around my tires and rims.

cdalejef
03-31-2005, 07:47 AM

duke416ex
03-31-2005, 07:55 AM
I've run flipped wheels, it's no different than dished wheels. My bike drove fine, a lot has to do with tires and tie rod adjustments. It just gives you a little width on the front, not everyone can afford widened a arms. I have rod a lot of high dollar setup that rode like crap. It is not just because the wheels.

cdalejef
03-31-2005, 07:59 AM
Trust me, your quad will handle better stock than it will with flipped rims. This is why you don't see serious racers running flipped or dished wheels, they actually run 4+1 offset which brings the wheels in farther than stock. The farther away the tire center line is from the spindle center line the worse the quad will steer and handle.
Also if your trying to do this with stock Honda wheels, the wheel will no longer center itself due to the tapered insert being on the inside instead of the outside.
THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!

QuadRacer041
03-31-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Trust me, your quad will handle better stock than it will with flipped rims. This is why you don't see serious racers running flipped or dished wheels, they actually run 4+1 offset which brings the wheels in farther than stock. The farther away the tire center line is from the spindle center line the worse the quad will steer and handle.
Also if your trying to do this with stock Honda wheels, the wheel will no longer center itself due to the tapered insert being on the inside instead of the outside.
THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!

what he said

AtvMxRider
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!

I don't believe you. I am going to ask Gabe:devil:

FoxRacing81
03-31-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't see what the difference between flipping your stock rims and 2-3 offset rims. Would someone care to fill me in on this information?

-Mx

P.S..I have done it to my Warrior and it handles fine...no different at all but it's wider which makes it better for cornering.

capecod400ex
03-31-2005, 07:39 PM
so whats the final deal here people should i do this or not.........

cdalejef
03-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
I don't believe you. I am going to ask Gabe:devil: LMAO!

cdalejef
03-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
so whats the final deal here people should i do this or not......... You'll have to make that decision yourself based on the information you have been given. You can also do a search and check out the other threads about this topic. Its been discussed many times.

capecod400ex
03-31-2005, 08:11 PM
yeah my search dident pull up any thing i searched fliped rims and reversed rims nothing, but i dont know more people said it is going to be bad so idk i probly wont do that then.

400exrider707
03-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
yeah my search dident pull up any thing i searched fliped rims and reversed rims nothing, but i dont know more people said it is going to be bad so idk i probly wont do that then.

Yeah just listen to jeff man he knows what hes talking about.

44oEX
04-01-2005, 05:49 AM
well maybe it won't handle super great. but it's still a cheap way to make it wider. I have a buddy that did it on his 300ex and he is 1" wider then a 400ex know. and he has no complain on the handleing. some people say that putting a 400ex front end on a 300ex will make it handle crapy. well maybe but it still gets it alot wider for not much money.

If you can't afford a-arms I would do it. unless your a pro class racer you probably won't even see a diffrence in the handling. you will just get a ride that is alot more stable. If you mainly trail ride you won't have any problems.

cdalejef
04-01-2005, 06:42 AM
It has noting todo with being a pro racer, its a fact of geometery. Just because the quad is wider does not been that it will handle better.

TheIceMan
04-01-2005, 06:59 PM
It does widen the front end a bit,but also exposes your brake calipers to rocks,etc.I would check for a used set of rims(2-3 offset),rather then drill the stockers.

TCracin440ex
04-01-2005, 10:43 PM
my buddy got offsets for his 400ex...and wheel spacers for the back....i rode it i did notice alot of bumpsteer........my other friend has a set of offsets on his raptor....these things add a bunch more bumpsteer and i didnt notice a big improvement in handling...just made it wider...

QuadRacer041
04-02-2005, 03:46 AM
It has noting todo with being a pro racer, its a fact of geometery. Just because the quad is wider does not been that it will handle better.

some people just dont understand.

400exrider707
04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
some people just dont understand.

thats exactly what I was thinking too, some people just dont want to listen to anything you have to say, even though they clearly no nothing about the subject at all.:rolleyes:

300ex_rider1121
05-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by greg24v
this is what i did. take off the front wheels, put 4 washers on each stud of the front wheels, turn the wheels inside out, remount the wheels, yer done. it made it wider and it handles better too. youll need 32 washers total.

this is waht my friend did he only used 2 on each stud though
im gonna do it to

cdalejef
05-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Ok, lets forget about all the bumpsteer it causes. How are you going to center the wheel since you can't use the tapered part of the hole?

TCracin440ex
05-08-2005, 05:45 PM
jeff i guess people dont listen to you...oh well let them live and learn when they do more harm then good....so why waste your time

gojk
05-09-2005, 05:00 PM
I did this and it increased the arm pump so much it wasn't worth it. Also if you do it, make sure to keep an extra tie rod. You will need it.

TBD
05-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
my buddy got offsets for his 400ex...and wheel spacers for the back....i rode it i did notice alot of bumpsteer........my other friend has a set of offsets on his raptor....these things add a bunch more bumpsteer and i didnt notice a big improvement in handling...just made it wider...

One more time. Bumpsteer is NOT the feedback that you fill in the bars when you hit a obstacle. When you add spacers, change wheel offsets or flip the wheels you have now moved the center of the wheel away from the pin inclanation(sp?). By doing that you increase the leverage against the steering. So every rut, root, rock or any obstacle you hit gives you feedback in the bars. That is NOT what bumpsteer is. Bumpsteer is the amount that the tire toe changes as the suspension cycles because the tie rods are not in the same arc as the a-arms.