PDA

View Full Version : How to get more power out of my Raptor 80

RAPTOR80RACR990
03-28-2005, 03:59 PM
I am wanting to know how I could get more power out of my Raptor 80. It laready has FMF pipe, UNI airfilter, ITP rims and tires in the rear, pro-design kill switch, Powermadd handguards, MSR handle bars, FMF shock covers, Dura blue wheel spacers, and some other stuff. I am racing in the Mid-Atlantic Hare Scramble Series with it this year.

Arctic Cat Dad
03-28-2005, 06:29 PM
You can go to Raptor80racing.com. They will have everything you need.

Did you race the Sumersville race a couple of weeks ago. My 7 yr old son raced there in the 70 class. He started in the 3rd row and finished 2 overall. A Raptor 80 just beat him. I believe it was you. Were from Elkins WV. WE race the Koontz series. They have alot of races close to Grafton. They have a bunch of races in Masontown,Elkins, Timberline. They have alot of mini quads to race against. There were alot more mini's in this series then there were in the Mid Atlantic series. There www.Koontz Adventureseries.com.Did you see this little guy #838 at the first Mid Atlantic XC race in Summersville.

RAPTOR80RACR990
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Yeah that was me on the Raptor 80 #990 that came in first overall right in front of your son Micheal. Are you the one that shook my hand at the end of the race.Yeah I remember him and he was doing good at that race. I am thinking about going to the Koontz Adventures next year. Because I look at Koontz adventure pictures on this .com all the time and there are a bunch of mini quads in that series. I was looking at that Easter bunny race and read that thing about your son hitting that log and him being trapped under the bike. Is he ok. Are you guys going to The Wilderness race April 10. Is your son going to be racing any more of the Mid-Atlantics. Well if he is hope to see you there. And tell Micheal good luck on his next race.

Arctic Cat Dad
03-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Yes that was me who shook your hand. You did a great job. Michael is fine. I don't think we will be at any more Mid Atlantic races. There just wasn't enough quads there. There is always a bunch of mini's in the Koontz series. Plus all of Michaels buddys ride in the Koontz series. But who knows, Our next race is this weekend in the GNCC Nationals. You race smart and keep up the good work. Maby you can talk your dad to come to some Koontz races. You will like it. There is always atleast a 12 to 15 mini's there.

RAPTOR80RACR990
03-29-2005, 06:39 PM
thanks and I will probably race a couple kootnz races this year when there isnt a mid atlantic race. And tell Micheal good luck on his race this weekend.

Ryan #789: Blaster 200: Pro-cicuit pipe, DG silencer, DG bumper, DG nerfs, DG grab bar, UNI air filter, Renthal handel bars, Powermad handguards, Kenda Klaw in rear, Maxxis Razr 2 in front, pro-design kill switch, clutch and perch, oil-injection block off kit, shock covers, D.I.D chain, Sunstar sprockets, blue frame

Justin #990: Raptor 80: FMF pipe, UNI airfilter, Powermadd handguards, MSR handle bars, pro-design, ITP rims and tires in rear, FMF shockcovers, Dura Blue wheel spacers, Getting ITP rims in the front with razr tires, and some other stuff

wgbanks
03-30-2005, 07:24 PM
I got the big bore piston, web cam, and the PWK carb for my son's Raptor 80, all from "Raptor80 Racing" and it ran great. Al was a great help and was always willing to lend some advise and share his knowledge. The real trick setup was adding the 4th gear back to the tranny... The Raptor 80 is nothing more than a variant of the old moto 4 and it is fully capable of accepting the reinstallation of the 4th gear. PM me and I can email any that might want to consider this mod. Top end on the quad is awesome. The mods other than the tranny gave the little Raptor the ability to run with the other 90's and the tranny really pushed it over the top. Legality of the AMA/ATVA rules of running what might be considered a mod'ed tranny?? I don't know. We ran only TT Srcambles/ Flat track events and usually ran with the mod's. Gave that up cause we couldn't keep up the the YZ and CR 80's in the blaster frames. The boy has currently moved up to a Blaster and I'm putting together a YZ/Blaster framed mod for him to run towards the end of this TT season or maybe into next year. He needs some more seat time.

RAPTOR80RACR990
03-30-2005, 07:52 PM
i was just wondering but how much did it cost for that big bore piston, web cam, and PWK carb for your sons Raptor 80. Thanks

wgbanks
03-30-2005, 08:06 PM
I had my local shop get them direct from Raptor 80 Racing. He was able to get them at dealer cost from Raptor 80 Racing and let me have them at no additional markup. If you have a local shop that you deal with they might do something similar for you. The Raptor 80 racing website has a price list so that will give you an idea of cost. Going faster ain't cheap. The only caution I can give you is about the carb. The PWK carb is pretty cheap... way less than 100 buck. The catch is the modified intake tube needed to mount the PWK to the motor. Al at Raptor 80 Racing has these fab'ed up special. I nearly fab'ed my own, but at the time I need a quick turn around and got a real deal from my local shop when another Dad had ordered, but refused to pay for, the carb and intake, and I talked them into letting me have it cheap. It would not be difficult to fab, just depends on whether you have more time or more money.

RAPTOR80RACR990
03-30-2005, 08:58 PM
hey i was reading that one forum that you replied to a while back that said you put a xr70 shock in your sons Raptor 80. Did it work perfect. Or did you have to mod it. i would appriciate it. thanks

wgbanks
03-30-2005, 09:19 PM
The XR70 shock worked great and is still on the quad. I'll have to take a look but the only thing I believe I had to do was add an additional washer because the XR shock is slightly narrower in the bottom mount. I can take a look at it tommorow when I get home from work, but it was no big deal, and it made the quad so much more rideable. I don't know what Yamaha was thinking with the stock shocks... they are not very kid friendly, especially the rear. I got a pair of XR70 shocks off of eBay for cheap and recommend it to everyone who has a little Raptor. I currently have a set of Works on the front, but really couldn't see as dramatic a difference as the rear shock change. Again the Works fronts were an eBay special... I doubt that I would recommend the cost of brand new Works for the front, especially given the swing arm style front suspension. Some really slam the front end on the Raptor 80, and of course A-Arms are better, but I never noticed it having a negative effect on the way my son rode.

RAPTOR80RACR990
03-31-2005, 05:02 PM
ok thanks. i will definatly be investing in that XR70 shock. It will make a good for the kind of riding that i do. I know the stock shocks on the raptor 80 you bounce every where with it. I was also wanting to know how much that 4th gear costed because i could use another gear. thanks

RAPTOR80RACR990
04-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey I am having a hard time finding an XR70 I looked on ebay and I still haven't found one. Is there any other shocks that will work like an XR80 or any other ones. Thanks

wgbanks
04-04-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure of other shocks that will fit. Al at Raptor80racing.com was the one who first told me of the XR70 shock, he also initially directed towards the 4th gear tranny mod. The tranny mod is not expensive, it only requires the shifter drum and the 4th gear out of an older moto 4. I found a couple of basket case moto 4's on eBay and used the parts for the mod. I might still have the parts to do one, I'll have to look. You do have to be mechanically inclined/brave enough to split the case and partially disassemble the tranny... not a problem. LOL During the procedure I keep asking myself ... why do I have this case apart and wondered if it would ever function again. But the fisrt time the boy rode it afterwards, and every time he would walk away from his buddies Predetor 90 and TRX 90... it was all worth it. If you would like I can email you the parts list and diagram from the manual along with a more detailed explanation of the procedure... PM me with your email address and I'll get it off to you. Hope this info is somewhat helpful.

wgbanks
04-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Couldn't help but post a pic. I have a lot of effort in this thing. It's almost sad that he moved up to a Blaster. This thing really is fast.

RAPTOR80RACR990
04-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey wgbanks, do you think you could send me some different shots of your sons Raptor 80. thanks

wgbanks
04-11-2005, 05:28 PM
I'll get some more and post them. Sorry about the delay with the 4th gear mod, between work and honey do's I haven't had time to ride let alone get the info to you. I have your email that you PM'ed and I'll get the mod stuff to you this week.

RAPTOR80RACR990
04-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Ok thanks, I can't wait to get that 4th gear. I need it a lot. And that shock. You don't need to rush. Take your time. Thanks wgbanks.

Raptorman80
03-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Hey i have a 2002 raptor 80 and my elec start stoped working but my bike will still jump start and it will kick over when u put cables to it form anoter car but wont start and wont keep the charge nither does anyone else had this prob?