PDA

View Full Version : Enforcement at an all-time high at the dunes...

wilkin250r
03-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Out at Sand Mountain this past weekend, patrol and enforcement were at an all-time high. To the point of ridiculous.

My girlfriend got a ticket for 35mph in a 25mph zone while riding her quad on the access road. She wasn't trying to speed, she didn't know how fast she was going (no speedometer). A warning would have solved the issue.

My buddy almost got a ticket for a glass bottle. If he wasn't a cop, he WOULD have gotten a ticket, but instead got a warning. It's not like we were throwing glass bottles at passerbys, we were just drinking beer pleasantly in camp, minding our own business. Corona doesn't come in cans.

Honestly, those were our fault, and avoidable, but still a little over-zealous. Some of them were REALLY ridiculous, like:

-Got stopped for lighting my campfire with gasoline, and threatened with a ticket.

-Got stopped for driving my VEHICLE (Ford Explorer) near the dunes as I was parking it, because I didn't have a whip flag.

From what I understand, the Park Rangers where harrassed on Thursday night, and a few people threw eggs at them. So the rest of the weekend, the Rangers tripled their numbers, and lashed out at EVERYONE, and we all paid the price. It was a real downer on the entire trip. Big, crowded weekends used to be fun, and watching stupid people was half the fun. Now, I think I'll stick to less-crowded weekends when enforcement doesn't have quite so large a stick up their @$$.

ballisticpb
03-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I have never seen that much law enforcement out there. I had no issues with them but they seemed to stop every one for minor things that any other weekend they would have never stopped them

Eddiesanders250
03-28-2005, 05:04 PM
hate when they do stupid sh** like that

wilkin250r
03-28-2005, 05:28 PM
It was just silly. Like the speeding ticket, honestly she should have just gotten a warning, and inform her of exactly how fast she was going. Instead, it was $100 ticket.

The glass bottle thing was silly, in my opinion. That's generally the type of rule they only enforce if there is a problem, like breaking the bottles or throwing them into the fire.

Seriously, who the #&$^! DOESN'T light their fire with gasoline at the dunes?

JOEX
03-28-2005, 08:44 PM
From what I understand, the Park Rangers where harrassed on Thursday night, and a few people threw eggs at them. So the rest of the weekend, the Rangers tripled their numbers, and lashed out at EVERYONE, and we all paid the price. It was a real downer on the entire trip. Big, crowded weekends used to be fun, and watching stupid people was half the fun. Now, I think I'll stick to less-crowded weekends when enforcement doesn't have quite so large a stick up their @$$.
Another example of a few dipchits screwing it up for the rest of us that do stupid/illeagal stuff responsibly:p

wilkin250r
03-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Another example of a few dipchits screwing it up for the rest of us that do stupid/illeagal stuff responsibly:p

Ha! Absolutely.

Don't get me wrong, it was all avoidable, and most of it was completely our responsibility (except the whip flag thing, that was just plain stupid). It was just annoying, and a real downer on our weekend. We usually look foward to doing stupid stuff responsibly.

PerrySoCal
04-03-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r Corona doesn't come in cans.. [/B]

Actually it does. I see it in stores here on SoCal all of the time.

pharit
04-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by PerrySoCal
Actually it does. I see it in stores here on SoCal all of the time.

thats what i was goin to say it does come in a can,

but IMO beer is only to be drank outta a bottle unless its a must.

PerrySoCal
04-04-2005, 03:27 PM
In the dunes, yes. But most of the beer I drink does not come in cans....

shellz4sand
04-04-2005, 09:55 PM
I was there too and the rangers were harassing everyone.They take the fun out of the whole point of being at Sand Mountain.Lighting the camp fire with gas is the only way to fly.As for the bottle and the whip thing already had that ticket at our camp on a off weekend.So it is beer in a can for my trips to Sand Mountain, and custom made whips on my boys dirt bikes(off the bike aile at Walmart).What the hell it's all good once you feel that sand under your paddles right?:blah:

Crowdog
04-09-2005, 09:42 AM
http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/article/20050329/News/103290021&SearchID=73204253770765

BLM rangers pelted with eggs at Sand Mt. over weekend
Marlene Garcia, mgarcia@lahontanvalleynews.com
March 29, 2005

Three major accidents, two arrests and personal attacks on Bureau of Land Management rangers marred a crowded Easter weekend at Sand Mountain, 30 miles east of Fallon.

A BLM official estimated there were 2,500 people at the popular off-road recreation area between Thursday and Sunday.

Elayn Briggs, associate field manager for the BLM, said extra park rangers were sent to Sand Mt. after raw eggs were thrown at rangers enforcing the law and at their vehicles. The egg-throwing occurred Thursday night, Briggs said. On Friday, there were eight rangers patrolling the area.

On Saturday night, someone threw a rock at a BLM vehicle, breaking out a window.

A sign at the Pony Express Station nearby was also chopped down and stolen.

Briggs said there have been verbal confrontations between law enforcement and campers in the past but rangers had not been physically targeted like they were over the weekend.

"I don't know that the crowd was more unruly but we had incidents we hadn't experienced before. We never had eggs thrown at us," Briggs said. "I wouldn't say the crowd was more unruly than normal."

Careflight was called to three "major medicals" that were described as serious by Briggs. One of the victims refused to be airlifted just as the helicopter was preparing to land, she added.

Churchill County Sheriff Richard Ingram said the county responded to a total of six requests for ambulances between 11 a.m. Friday and 11 a.m. Sunday.

At least one minor was arrested by the Churchill County Sheriff's Office for alcohol violations. An adult was taken into custody on suspicion of violating probation because he was consuming alcohol, said Briggs.

"Law enforcement issued about 100 warnings and 50 citations," said Brings.

Citations are issued for violations such as open container, failure to pay entrance fees, riding without a whip flag, riding without headlights and tail lights at night, possessing glass containers and trashy campsites.

Briggs said the BLM will be exploring a hike in fees at Sand Mountain and possibly limiting the number of campers next year. She said the public will have plenty of time to comment on any proposed changes before they are implemented.

Currently, campers pay $20 to stay up to a week. A $45 annual pass is also available.

"The BLM is facing budget problems and the fees are not nearly enough manage it by providing law enforcement, emergency medical, road grading, restrooms and dumping the trash," said Briggs. "The fees don't begin to cover it appropriately.

"We'll be looking to increase the fees next year and look at the carrying capacity - how many people that area can sustain. We'll be looking for public input on that."

On Memorial Day and Labor Day, up to 5,000 people have camped at Sand Mountain in the past, according to Briggs.

Marlene Garcia can be contacted at mgarcia@lahontanvalleynews.com

6858-400ex
03-12-2006, 01:07 PM
why cant the damn cops go somwhere else

z400roosteR
03-12-2006, 10:59 PM
You dug up a year old thread to post that?

TO THE GALLOWS!!!!!!!:mad: :cuss:

wilkin250r
03-14-2006, 10:24 AM
He's from Arizona, and might be possibly making a trip this way and wanted to check the local riding areas to see if it was worth it to bring his quad.

No harm, no foul.

gbogh450r
03-14-2006, 04:20 PM
I was down at sand mountain two weeks ago on the weekend I couldnt keep a flag on my bike I must of brake it 6 or 7 times and buy the end of the week end the cops knew my by first name I have a old cr 500 that I keep in the coverd trailer that isnt registerd and got a ticket It was steal in the trail straped up no one was riding it. there everywhere down there but what you going to do they have a badge so they can do anything they damn well please so they think.

TIPPIN'
03-17-2006, 03:09 PM
LETS NOT WRECK THINGS FOR THOSE WHO CAN FALLOW THE RULES!ITS NOT THAT HARD TO COMPLY TO SOME SIMPLE LAWS.BESIDES ITS NOT THAT BAD.I WAS PULLED OVER AT THREE A.M. ON MY QUAD DRUNK AS F***K AFTER I ROLLED AT THE TOP AND BROKE MY TAIL LIGHT.THE ONLY THING THEY DID WAS HELP ME FIND MY CAMP!ACT RIGHT AND YOU GET TREATED RIGHT.LETS KEEP OUR DUNES OPEN!:)

Aceman
03-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by TIPPIN'
LETS NOT WRECK THINGS FOR THOSE WHO CAN FALLOW THE RULES!ITS NOT THAT HARD TO COMPLY TO SOME SIMPLE LAWS.BESIDES ITS NOT THAT BAD.I WAS PULLED OVER AT THREE A.M. ON MY QUAD DRUNK AS F***K AFTER I ROLLED AT THE TOP AND BROKE MY TAIL LIGHT.THE ONLY THING THEY DID WAS HELP ME FIND MY CAMP!ACT RIGHT AND YOU GET TREATED RIGHT.LETS KEEP OUR DUNES OPEN!:)

I agree with you about treating law enforcement with respect.
BUT how is getting drunk and wrecking your quad part of complying with those simple laws:confused:

TIPPIN'
03-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Well, I DIDN'T WRECK MY QUAD I JUST BROKE MY TAILLIGHT.AS ALWAYS I HAVE TO LEARN THINGS THE HARD WAY AND I HAVE'NT MADE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN.ALSO IF YOU'VE EVER BEEN TO SAND MOUNTAIN YOU'LL KNOW THAT DRINKING AND RIDDING ARE A VERY COMMON THING.THAT JUST GOES TO PROVE THAT THE LAW OUT THERE ISN'T AS BAD AS OTHERS WERE IMPLYING.

wilkin250r
03-17-2006, 05:56 PM
No, really, it was that bad.

You've just recently joined the board, so you probably don't know me. But let me assure you, I AM respectful to law enforcement. My grandfather was a cop, my best friend (who was there that day) is also a cop.

Perhaps things are a little more relaxed on non-holiday weekends. Perhaps YOU just got lucky. Perhaps the officer was having a good day and decided to go easy on you.

Such was not the case when I made this post. We were quiet, we were respectful, and we still got the shaft.

JOEX
03-17-2006, 09:25 PM

Well, I DIDN'T WRECK MY QUAD I JUST BROKE MY TAILLIGHT.AS ALWAYS I HAVE TO LEARN THINGS THE HARD WAY AND I HAVE'NT MADE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN.ALSO IF YOU'VE EVER BEEN TO SAND MOUNTAIN YOU'LL KNOW THAT DRINKING AND RIDDING ARE A VERY COMMON THING.THAT JUST GOES TO PROVE THAT THE LAW OUT THERE ISN'T AS BAD AS OTHERS WERE IMPLYING.
You're not setting a good example for keeping the dunes open:ermm: It sounds like you got very lucky if your story is true.

If you re-read the last paragraph in wilkins original post you'll see why enforcement was extra strong that weekend. A few trouble makers caused problems with the law enforcement one night and the law enforcement showed their presence and cracked the whip the rest of the weekend.

I'd bet those that caused the problems were long gone but the rest of the riding population had to pay the price. This seems to be very common in this hobby, a few irresponsible people screw things up for the rest of us:(

TIPPIN'
03-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I GUESS EVERYONES EXPERIENCE IS DIFFERENT,HOWEVER THIS SECTION IS CALLED DUNE TALES,I WAS JUST TELLING MINE.THE LAW HAS TAKEN A BIG TURN OUT AT SAND MOUNTAIN IN THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS.GOOD OR BAD?I DON'T KNOW.I JUST HOPE THE PLACE STAYS OPEN FOREVER!LETS KEEP WORKING TOGETHER AND KEEP TELLING OUR DUNE TALES:cool:

Iliketogofast
03-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 6858-400ex
why cant the damn cops go somwhere else
---EDIT JOEX----
:grr:

thejeepdude
05-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey I'm thinking about hitting up sand mountain this weekend. Has the law gotten anymore lax since they raised the entrance fee, or has it gotten worse? Once of my quads has no taillight, and even though I've ridden it there at night without harassment, I sure would hate to get a ticket for something stupid like that. Maybe I'll velcro my a bicycle light on the back temporarily. Also, has anything changed with the fireworks laws? I'm hoping it's still OK to shoot some roman candles while I'm up there... can't do that fun stuff here in CA.

Rescueme
05-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Was there 2 weeks ago. Didn't see one popo the whole weekend. Oh, and beer only comes in bottles, soda comes in cans.

wilkin250r
05-11-2006, 09:47 PM
It's not that bad during non-holiday weekends. I went out a couple weeks ago, no problems at all.

TIPPIN'
05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I WOULD NOT RECOMEND GOING OUT THERE WITH NO TAIL LIGHT OR WITHOUT A FLAG.THE TAIL LIGHT IS FOR YOU'RE SAFETY AND OTHERS.FOREGET THE TICKET , LETS NOT HURT YOURE SELF OUR SOMEONE ELSE! I'VE SEEN TO MANY LIFE FLIGHTS OUT OF THERE.REMEMBER BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN.:)