PDA

View Full Version : Missing bearing?

05-11-2002, 03:27 PM
I picked up a 96 300ex for a really good deal. However, after looking at the rear axle it looks like the bearing is missing or something and there is a lot of play in the axle. I know the chain tightener needs to be replaced, but do you guys know what could be wrong back here?

MOFO
05-11-2002, 05:15 PM
I dont mean to get off topic this soon, but are you the same guy from GMTrucks.com? I'm Z71GUY over there...

I'm not too familiar with the 300EX carrier, but that does not look good. It might just be a seal that is missing....if thats the case, be sure to replace the bearings ASAP.

nakomis0
05-11-2002, 05:45 PM
Dood? It looks like your axle carrier is cracked?

Its hard to tell but, if i'm looking at what I think I'm looking at....and I think I'm looking at what I think I'm looking at:huh

So my vote is ya need a new axle carrier.

05-11-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by VWVR6
I dont mean to get off topic this soon, but are you the same guy from GMTrucks.com? I'm Z71GUY over there...

I'm not too familiar with the 300EX carrier, but that does not look good. It might just be a seal that is missing....if thats the case, be sure to replace the bearings ASAP.

Hey!!!

Yeah, same guy!! Small world. lol

Neway, the picture is from the right tire. Imagine your midget standing on the axle with the right tire to your back ;)
whats the axle carrier? I know the chain tensioner is cracked and needs to be replaced. I think I am just going to get new bearings and such.

tprender
05-11-2002, 06:17 PM
I hate to give you the bad news, but if your chain tensior is cracked that is the bearing carrier. On the Honda, the tensior and bearing carrer are one in the same. Just hope that it did not mess up the axle also when the bearing went out and he or you have not rode it very much to ruin the axle also.

05-11-2002, 09:27 PM
how much will the new chain tensioner cost you think? will this be expensive?

tprender
05-12-2002, 01:07 PM
You must ride dirt bikes, because you keep calling it a chain tensior. You can get a aftermarket bearing (twin bearing) cheaper than a new stock one. Look in the mags or ? The cost will be less than $200.

05-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Ok, thanks. I looked thru a dirtwheels mag and found a few. They all look the same and are all cnc'ed, w/ bearings etc for 179.99

Anyone know of a better deal than that online?

Will I be able to install this myself?

What kind of tool do I need to tighten/loosen this thing? I can't figure it out!@ lol. thanks for a ll the help

kx254
05-13-2002, 02:43 AM
I will be needing one for my 400ex soon, and I heard on this forum that Terry Marcum can have it on my door step for $150, give him a call.

400exRacerX
05-18-2002, 07:01 AM
Where ever you get one make sure its a RAD carrier,,,, they are the best for your buck.

Revin300EX
05-19-2002, 08:29 AM
I recently had a problem, where my ATV was stolen.

It had a bad left side axle bearing. The guy was doing doughnuts in the street, and the play was so bad that the axle ground the rear sprocket into the swingarm.

The axle was so badly ground into the carrier, that there was a notch almost halfway into the axle.

I had to replace the brake rotor, caliper stay, carrier, axle, sprockets, and chain. I managed to replace it all for about $500 bucks with used parts from EBAY.

It looks to me like you need a carrier. MAYBE an axle. Look for a used one on EBAY.

Scott
05-21-2002, 02:50 PM
I just replaced the carrier in my 300 about a month ago. You can swap out the bearing carrier on a 300 with basic hand tools. Only difficult part is the axle nuts (need BIG wrenches). It's not what you would expect, it's actually a threaded sleeve that rides on the axle and two jam nuts (the big one you obviously see, and a smaller one on the swingarm side.). After you pull the axle out, the carrier comes right out. Slide the new carrier in, put everything back together and you're on your way. Easily done in an afternoon.

I'd recommend checking out the tapered bearing carriers. They're set up like wheel bearings on cars/trucks. Much better for the side loads you put on the bearings when you slide the rear end around corners.

Good luck.

ChadEXer
05-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Call Marcums and get you a RAD carrier!!! 877-264-3409

toby400ex
12-28-2002, 10:19 PM
go to www.nbsdistributing.com they sell rad double rows for 159.

4punksdad
01-01-2003, 10:51 AM

jwisniew
01-04-2003, 07:02 PM
when i replaced mine i bought it from servicehonda.com (http://www.servicehonda.com) for $150. Probably look around on ebay too. I would also suggest taking a look at your swingarm pivot bearings, located where the swingarm attaches to the frame.