PDA

View Full Version : Best pipe that is quiet?????

400exPete
03-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Everyone here wants a pipe that makes tons of noise, and makes tons of people hate ATV's that much more. I do not want to be one of those people. Noise regulations are coming my friends and they are coming soon. I would like the extra power you get from a aftermarket pipe, but not a ton of noise with it. I don't mind a nice rumble but a lot of the systems are ridiculous. I am the kind of guy who likes stealth, better to sneak up on you, I think. :devil: Who makes a nice system that will not make my ears bleed?:confused: Thanks for all the help.

P.S. This was not a personal attack on anyone it is just my opinion.

rYan01400EX
03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Look at the Big Gun with quiet core. I have the Big Gun Race Complete system and have heard the Big Gun Quiet Core.. It's not loud, and yet it still produces good power. Yes, my Big Gun is a little loud since it does not have the quiet core but I love the rumble that the system establishes.. Makes it sound mean.. But I am gonna have to do something soon due to sound regulations.

Hope I helped man.

b400ex
03-28-2005, 06:27 PM
I am in the same position. I have researched the FMF Q, but it is way too expensive and from what I hear, it isn't any good. I think that I will get the HMF with quiet core insert. I have heard that this is a great pipe and not way too loud with the quiet core.

Joe400ex
03-28-2005, 06:54 PM
get a cobra haha jk

bigun qietcore

redhondi400
03-29-2005, 07:33 AM
If you want quiet keep the stock pipe this is no pipe that is on 88db for the 400ex. I know how you feel on the quiet and power, I think my e-series is too loud and my brother's R4 is ridiculus. I'll take the power over the sound.

Joe400ex
03-29-2005, 08:35 AM
i have the lrd full system and my neighbors call the cops all the time, its sick loud:devil:

Summit79
03-29-2005, 02:22 PM
I have the LRD full system with the quiet core and the MN state DNR says it's 92db which is both quiet and legal everywhere I ride. Stock is something like 89db.

400exPete
03-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Summit79
I have the LRD full system with the quiet core and the MN state DNR says it's 92db which is both quiet and legal everywhere I ride. Stock is something like 89db.

That is more than acceptable to me. I was wondering is there a huge power difference between having the quiet core and not? I think most companies are getting on board with quieter systems due to regulations for MX even. Thanks.

Joecool1264
03-29-2005, 05:37 PM
I've got a full Yoshi. system make good power seems to quieter than some of the other quads I ride with. There not cheap though. Bought mine used got a deal or I would have probably went with a Big gun/quiet core. Hope that helps.

huffdaddy_400EX
03-29-2005, 05:43 PM
I've been running a Dr.D slip on with the quite core insert. Gives a nice low to middle range increase.

I was measure at a local riding area at 92dB.

Joe400ex
03-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exPete
That is more than acceptable to me. I was wondering is there a huge power difference between having the quiet core and not? I think most companies are getting on board with quieter systems due to regulations for MX even. Thanks.

yes there is i went riding today and the 400ex has a very big increase in power but i dont have the quiet core so mine is nice and throaty :devil:

Summit79
03-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by 400exPete

I've rode with the quite core in and out. I don't notice any difference other than noise. I'm sure a dyno would notice something but I can't imagine the difference is worth the headache.

HIPPYHUNTER
03-22-2006, 01:40 PM
GREAT THREAD THAT IS REALLY WORTH WHILE!!!
NOISE IS AN ISSUE!
NOISE AINT POWER!
WE SHOULD ALL BE A LOT (WHOLE LOT!) MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS!
I AM GUILTY!
I SPENT A LOT OF GOOD MONEY ON MY PIPE AND ITS LOUD AS _____!
I GOT RAZZED BY MY FRIENDS IN THE MOTORCYCLE CLUB BECAUSE IT IS SOOOOO LOUD....IT WOULD NEVER EVER EVER (EVEN WITH BRAND NEW PACKING!)PASS A SOUND TEST!
SO WHY DO WE CONTINUE TO BUY STUFF THAT SHOULD BE "RACE READY" YET COULD NOT RACE BECAUSE ITS SOOOO LOUD!?
ANSWER: BECAUSE WE ARE IDIOTS...THATS WHY!
A SLIP ON DOES NOT...REPEAT.....DOES NOT ADD(MORE CORRECTLY:FREE UP) ANY MEASURABLE AMOUNT OF POWER FOR THE $$$ INVESTED!
WHAT DOES IT DO? IT DRAINS YOUR WALLET AND MAKES PEOPLE HATE YOU EVEN MORE (UNFORTUNATE BUT TRUE).
MY FMF Ti4 WAS MAJOR $$$ LOOKS GOOD SOUNDS GOOD BUT IS TOO LOUD...PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
SO WHATS THE BEST PIPE THAT DOES NOT ADD SOOOOOOO MUCH FRIKIN' NOISE?
THAT IS THE QUESTION.
ONE SHOULD LOOK TO IMPROOVE HANDLING AND BRAKING BEFORE ENGINE AND/OR EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS.
(IAM GUILTY! BUT HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!!!!!)
TRAIL/RIDING AREA CLOSURES ARE THE REASON WE ALL SHOULD PULL OUR COLLECTIVE HEADS OUTTA OUR BACKSIDES....QUIT WORRIN' ABOUT LOOKIN' & SOUNDIN' COOL AND GET WITH THE PROGRAM THAT IS GOING TO BE AROUND FROM NOW ON AND CONCENTRATE ON PRESERVING OUR HOBBY/SPORT.
GET INVOLVED GUYS!
THE TIME IS HERE AND NOW!
THEY ARE GONNA CLOSE YOUR...YES YOU...YOUR RIDING SPOTS FOR AT LEAST ONE REASON AND THAT REASON IS SOUND.
DONT BELIVE ME?......HIDE AND WATCH.

I LIVE IN OKLAHOMA...WE ARE KINDA USED TO LOUD STUFF...WE LIVE IN AN AREA THAT IS STILL KINDA WIDE OPEN. YOU OTHER GUYS WILL BE FIRST THEN ITS ME AND MY STATE.
IT IS COMING.
SUCKS MAJOR BUT IT IS TRUE!

Now I will quit yelling over the drone of LOUD pipes.

Good Day.

miller821
03-22-2006, 01:56 PM
I would get the white brothers e series, or another pipe that is adjustable. That way if you want it loud you can go loud, if you want it medium you can go medium, and if you want it soft you can make it soft. Just my two cents.

HIPPYHUNTER
03-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Please keep em comin'.

HIPPYHUNTER
03-23-2006, 12:12 PM
LOUD DOES NOT = POWER

PismoLocal
03-23-2006, 12:58 PM
White brothers E2 is supposed to be the quietest pipe they make. Either that or the FMF Q series.

TRX400EX02
03-23-2006, 02:15 PM
If are checking out the FMF Q series, you should check out the Q2 not the original Q. I am fully satisfied with mine all around.

flauge
03-23-2006, 03:23 PM
the quietest ones i think is the fmf q2, and pro circuit 496..im not sure how much power they add (free up) tho.

400ex28
03-23-2006, 04:29 PM
stock

04TRX400EX
03-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Dr. D!! I think it comes in at about 96dB's, which is considerably less than some of the popular ones mentioned (HMF, Yoshi, etc.). I love the way it sounds - nice and deep - and provides good power gains. I think you can get a quiet core for it too which takes it down to like 92dB's. Even open though, it's not that loud at all.

HIPPYHUNTER
03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Ive never heard of a Dr.D....I will look it up. Thanks for the responce.

flauge
03-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
Dr. D!! I think it comes in at about 96dB's, which is considerably less than some of the popular ones mentioned (HMF, Yoshi, etc.). I love the way it sounds - nice and deep - and provides good power gains. I think you can get a quiet core for it too which takes it down to like 92dB's. Even open though, it's not that loud at all. dang man, 92db's? thats quieter than the q2 i think . im gonna look into those..

HIPPYHUNTER
03-24-2006, 06:28 AM
looks like DR.D needs some lookin into to see what the diagnosis is.

djvolume
03-24-2006, 10:34 AM
I think the White Bros. E2 is the best for what you are looking for.
It has the sparky and race end caps -- very easy to change. I put one on mine -- I use the quiet spark arrestor cap for the trails --- if I go to the track, I open it up. It's 1 allen bolt -- takes 1 min.
Power increase is nice and smooth throughout -- I am running a Uni Filter -- make sure you get it jetted properly.

<DRS>GPF
03-24-2006, 11:32 AM
i was waiting for a reason to post this link: http://www.nmaoffroad.org/news/nmasoundreport.pdf

it doesnt give actual dB levels, nor does it include the most current versions of the exausts tested(like the E2's)...
but it seems to be a good comparison/guide.

edit: I guess it does give dB levels.. never noticed them until this last time i looked..lol

Ryanwolfe911
03-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Can i get a big AMEN!! for the noise ranting. I have been saying this for years to my idoit friends with their rediculously loud pipes. THEY are what keeps making all my neighbors call the cops, especially since they don't stop riding when the sun goes down. I mean come on, even I don't want to hear some loud *** quad going up tand down the street when i'm trying to relax and watch TV at night. It IS irritating. I mistakenly bought a DG pipe for my 300ex and only had it on for 10minutes before I coldn't take it anymore. I kept the DG head pipe and modified a 450R muffler to fit with the HRC end cap kit, and it looks and sound great and makes good power. The only upside to an aftermarket pipe is the weight reduction.Other Than that, you're better off modifying your factory silencer. Unless you have motor mods and really do race competetivley

johnsls
03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
I just picked up the HMF slipon with the Quiet Core for $225.95 shipped to my door.

I haven't installed it yet but I understand that the HMF is one of the better units to help increase HP.

flauge
03-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
i was waiting for a reason to post this link: http://www.nmaoffroad.org/news/nmasoundreport.pdf

it doesnt give actual dB levels, nor does it include the most current versions of the exausts tested(like the E2's)...
but it seems to be a good comparison/guide. well that gives me a different opinion on the q after reading that..

atvn
03-24-2006, 05:23 PM
What about supertrapp?

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/detail.asp?ItemID=633-3402

Does anyone run one?

John

jdboy
03-25-2006, 05:25 AM
I've never run one on a quad or bike but have on a car. To get the response I was looking for at a given RPM the exhaust was CRAZY loud! Like any other disc style silencers, the more discs’ you add the more flow you achieve. With that comes more noise. In my application, with fewer discs the car felt sluggish and was held back by the backpressure. Same would be true with a high RPM quad engine I would figure.

HIPPYHUNTER
03-25-2006, 11:32 AM
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BROTHERS!
I have been to the mountaintop....and heard loud pipes DAMNIT!

b.lee
10-11-2009, 06:18 PM
I searched this thread up from the dead.

What is going to be the best setup current day? (not 2006, lol)

I need something that isn't going to restrict the ported 416 w/ cam.

I need to have a quiet exhaust with a spark arrestor for trail / sand dune use

coler2002
10-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I also want to know what a good quite pipe would be. Thanks for bring this it back from the dead!

Ba9801
10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I currently have the stock muffler with a 2" tip on it with spark arrestor. It is louder than stock and it feels like there was an increase in power. It is way quieter than all my friends with there HMF pipes.

400exrider26400
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by HIPPYHUNTER
GREAT THREAD THAT IS REALLY WORTH WHILE!!!
NOISE IS AN ISSUE!
NOISE AINT POWER!
WE SHOULD ALL BE A LOT (WHOLE LOT!) MORE CONCERNED ABOUT THIS!
I AM GUILTY!
I SPENT A LOT OF GOOD MONEY ON MY PIPE AND ITS LOUD AS _____!
I GOT RAZZED BY MY FRIENDS IN THE MOTORCYCLE CLUB BECAUSE IT IS SOOOOO LOUD....IT WOULD NEVER EVER EVER (EVEN WITH BRAND NEW PACKING!)PASS A SOUND TEST!
SO WHY DO WE CONTINUE TO BUY STUFF THAT SHOULD BE "RACE READY" YET COULD NOT RACE BECAUSE ITS SOOOO LOUD!?
ANSWER: BECAUSE WE ARE IDIOTS...THATS WHY!
A SLIP ON DOES NOT...REPEAT.....DOES NOT ADD(MORE CORRECTLY:FREE UP) ANY MEASURABLE AMOUNT OF POWER FOR THE $$$ INVESTED!
WHAT DOES IT DO? IT DRAINS YOUR WALLET AND MAKES PEOPLE HATE YOU EVEN MORE (UNFORTUNATE BUT TRUE).
MY FMF Ti4 WAS MAJOR $$$ LOOKS GOOD SOUNDS GOOD BUT IS TOO LOUD...PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
SO WHATS THE BEST PIPE THAT DOES NOT ADD SOOOOOOO MUCH FRIKIN' NOISE?
THAT IS THE QUESTION.
ONE SHOULD LOOK TO IMPROOVE HANDLING AND BRAKING BEFORE ENGINE AND/OR EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS.
(IAM GUILTY! BUT HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!!!!!!)
TRAIL/RIDING AREA CLOSURES ARE THE REASON WE ALL SHOULD PULL OUR COLLECTIVE HEADS OUTTA OUR BACKSIDES....QUIT WORRIN' ABOUT LOOKIN' & SOUNDIN' COOL AND GET WITH THE PROGRAM THAT IS GOING TO BE AROUND FROM NOW ON AND CONCENTRATE ON PRESERVING OUR HOBBY/SPORT.
GET INVOLVED GUYS!
THE TIME IS HERE AND NOW!
THEY ARE GONNA CLOSE YOUR...YES YOU...YOUR RIDING SPOTS FOR AT LEAST ONE REASON AND THAT REASON IS SOUND.
DONT BELIVE ME?......HIDE AND WATCH.

I LIVE IN OKLAHOMA...WE ARE KINDA USED TO LOUD STUFF...WE LIVE IN AN AREA THAT IS STILL KINDA WIDE OPEN. YOU OTHER GUYS WILL BE FIRST THEN ITS ME AND MY STATE.
IT IS COMING.
SUCKS MAJOR BUT IT IS TRUE!

Now I will quit yelling over the drone of LOUD pipes.

Good Day.

***get

rob_990
10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by coler2002
I also want to know what a good quite pipe would be. Thanks for bring this it back from the dead!

lexx mx slip on

b.lee
10-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by rob_990
lexx mx slip on

Do you have a lexx or hmf on your 416?

Using a stock header on a 416 is ok? :confused:

I was thinking I'd need a whole system

I want performance + us forest approved spark arrestor

skillet
10-12-2009, 11:43 PM
I run a bub c4 on my quad and love it.
Here's a old article on this subject that I found. Remember it is a few years old but still good. If you look at the bottom of the article they list web sites so you go look at different companys exhaust pipes.

http://www.atv-industry.com/features/may06/exhaust/index.html

slightlybent47
10-13-2009, 01:39 AM
I run a White Brothers MX4 and it's doesn’t sound as loud as most of the riders I ride with. But I ride MX so It's not a issue.

If you are just looking for power and want to stay quiet then try some other mods. i.e. rejet, take the air box lid off, a good cam, sparks key, get it tuned properly. You could do all those mods for less than a pipe.

b.lee
10-13-2009, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I run a White Brothers MX4 and it's doesn’t sound as loud as most of the riders I ride with. But I ride MX so It's not a issue.

If you are just looking for power and want to stay quiet then try some other mods. i.e. rejet, take the air box lid off, a good cam, sparks key, get it tuned properly. You could do all those mods for less than a pipe.

I'm looking to get quiet
I have a really loud exhaust right now.
It's re-jetted, w/ alum airbox open lid, already has the sparks key.

b.lee
10-13-2009, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by skillet
I run a bub c4 on my quad and love it.
Here's a old article on this subject that I found. Remember it is a few years old but still good. If you look at the bottom of the article they list web sites so you go look at different companys exhaust pipes.

http://www.atv-industry.com/features/may06/exhaust/index.html

How much was your bub c4?
It looks good on their site.
www.bubent.com

skillet
10-13-2009, 09:50 AM
I want to say around 250 ish but it was a long time back. I looked up on ebay and there is some listed for 260 to 270 for the same slip on as mine. And thats about right as far as price. Could look around at local shops to get a better deal. They also make a core insert for that pipe to knock the noise down even more.

Rkangel7
10-13-2009, 05:37 PM
I recently ash-canned my White Bros E-series because it was entirely too loud even with fresh packing. Went with a Lexx MXe and haven't looked back since. It's much quieter with no noticeable power difference. It's well made, doesn't cause my head to pound after long ride, and doesn't run afoul of the noise police at the dunes.

b.lee
10-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Does anyone know of a FULL exhaust system with spark arrestor included that is reasonably quiet?

I'm not really wanting to use a stock header...

YSPR
10-28-2009, 11:31 AM
I just installed a stock 450r silencer on my 400ex. I had the FMF with quiet core and it was way to loud. The stock 400 silencer is way to restrictive even with the mods on it. So I tried the 450r (it was priced just right) I'm impressed with the tone and the power. It sounds about like the stock with the end cap off, but deeper rumble. The power is much more noticable than stock.

I had to drill one new hole on the rear monting tab of the muffler, and just made my own c stye clamp for the back mounting point for the frame. (no cutting or welding) It works, looks and sounds great. It is heavier than the FMF but nothing for me to worry about.

Just another option for people looking for a realtivly quiet exhaust that provides some gains.

400exrider26400
10-28-2009, 11:43 AM
better loud than quiet
tc shorty all the way

TRXRacer1
10-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by b.lee
Does anyone know of a FULL exhaust system with spark arrestor included that is reasonably quiet?

I'm not really wanting to use a stock header... CT Racing. You set it to as loud or as quiet as you want.

Ryan'07400ex
10-28-2009, 06:29 PM
HMF is having a new line coming out on 01-01-10 I believe that is supposed to be quieter. Maybe you could check that out... I think it said 96dbs without the quiet core

b.lee
10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the input
Everyone but 400exrider26400 lol :D

I'm riding trails and the exhaust must be quiet.... I don't need any tickets... have enough of those already... (from 98 Z28)

atv fan 28
10-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider26400
better loud than quiet
tc shorty all the way TC shorty all the way??? by your sig you have a stock bike! its better to have it quiet than no place to ride at all!!

400exrider26400
10-29-2009, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the input
Everyone but 400exrider26400 lol :D

I'm riding trails and the exhaust must be quiet.... I don't need any tickets... have enough of those already... (from 98 Z28)

well thats it if you ride in the woods you dont need a quiet exaust
no ones hears you
unless the trails are near houses

400exfirebrethr
11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
the motoworks sr4 exhaust full or slip on is quiet, makes super torque, and nice deep rumble

katch26
11-03-2009, 04:08 PM
woods is where you would need it the most.....remember there's what's acceptable in Canada and then there's everywhere else :)

400exrider26400
11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
TC shorty all the way??? by your sig you have a stock bike! its better to have it quiet than no place to ride at all!!

i had a tc on my old 300ex
im just waiting to find one on ebay because they dont make them anymore

Ryan'07400ex
11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Off the main topic but do you all think a hmf ballance with the quiet core gives more power (noticeable) than the stock exhaust? I don't care about being loud anymore and im either going back to stock or getting the quiet core. Well actually I guess I need know if the quiet core goes in at the same time as the TRM. Anyone know?
Thanks

Sorry to steal thread but its got to do with quietness.

b.lee
11-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider26400
well thats it if you ride in the woods you dont need a quiet exaust
no ones hears you
unless the trails are near houses

We have the DNR here, and they hide in the woods... or at trail intersections and ticket everyone who has a loud machine.

Like i said, I need no tickets.
I just got one 2 Tuesdays ago in the Z28

400exrider26400
11-04-2009, 05:07 AM
We have the DNR here, and they hide in the woods... or at trail intersections and ticket everyone who has a loud machine.

Like i said, I need no tickets.
I just got one 2 Tuesdays ago in the Z28

we dont have the DNR here
but sometimes the polices are there
and that means popo chase :cool:

rinaldi
11-04-2009, 07:25 AM
I am not sure I would call this pipe quiet. I have it on my 400 and I do like it a lot, but have not had a chance to ride it since install to see how it performs. I took a couple laps around the house and it seemed close to my full pipe I had on. I have the same pipe, Motoworks, on my Can Am and it is MUCH louder than the same pipe on my 400.

Originally posted by 400exfirebrethr
the motoworks sr4 exhaust full or slip on is quiet, makes super torque, and nice deep rumble

sc400ex_rider
11-04-2009, 08:09 AM
you can also take off the end cap and drill about 10 1/4" holes in the baffle plate on the left. i did it and immediately felt the difference. its not loud and a cheap mod!! then i carefully took off the spark arrester screen and cut out the center resonator pipe to open up the outlet. then i re welded the spark arrester screen and band back to the end cap. it looks totally stock and with the spark arrester on it i can ride any where.........

skyline296
11-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking of picking up the motorworks pipe and an uni filter for my 400, any idea what the jetting should be for 500ft above sea level with no other mods and the airbox lid left on?

racer965
11-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I took my end cap off of my 400ex, and then cut the screen and resonator off of it and then re-installed the end cap, I like the sound, its not loud at all, and there seemed to be a large power increase. Im pretty sure ill keep my quad like this because other pipes are just simply way to expensive when u can stay stock, and get close to the same power.

honda400ex2003
11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by racer965
I took my end cap off of my 400ex, and then cut the screen and resonator off of it and then re-installed the end cap, I like the sound, its not loud at all, and there seemed to be a large power increase. Im pretty sure ill keep my quad like this because other pipes are just simply way to expensive when u can stay stock, and get close to the same power.

he made his first post a great one. :eek2: :rolleyes: Welcome to the site. have fun reading, it looks like you have a bit to learn. steve

mitchconley
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
does anybody run a lexx pipe? i heard theyre pretty good all around (including noise levels) and theyre cheap

honda400ex2003
11-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I have heard some good stuff about them on the other post of quiet exhausts. I would check that one out too. steve

katch26
11-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
I have heard some good stuff about them on the other post of quiet exhausts. I would check that one out too. steve

thats his post too lol

honda400ex2003
11-28-2009, 01:44 PM
awesome!! i love having 2 or 3 threads on the same thing by the same person. LOL:p steve

honda400ex2003
11-28-2009, 03:15 PM
heres a review of the lexx.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=333869&highlight=quiet

steve

mitchconley
11-28-2009, 04:21 PM
im either gunna buy a lexx or buy a stock and take the baffle out

honda400ex2003
11-28-2009, 04:23 PM
buy the lexx or dont waste your money. steve

mitchconley