PDA

View Full Version : building up

jman71890
03-27-2005, 10:05 PM
So I decided that i wanted to start a project with my dad and i chose a 250r.. Now we are wondering were to start! What is the best year frame to get? Do all the motors fit in every year frame? Where is a good place to get a motor if not ebay? What kind of swingarm will i need? Where can i find stock shocks or close to them and stock a arms?

I really wanna keep the cost down on this bike so im looking for ways to do that.. any help is greatly appreciated

TheFontMaster
03-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by jman71890
So I decided that i wanted to start a project with my dad and i chose a 250r.. Now we are wondering were to start! What is the best year frame to get? Do all the motors fit in every year frame? Where is a good place to get a motor if not ebay? What kind of swingarm will i need? Where can i find stock shocks or close to them and stock a arms?

I really wanna keep the cost down on this bike so im looking for ways to do that.. any help is greatly appreciated

You probably want to start with ether just a frame, or a roller. I started my project with just a frame, and it's comming along nicely. The 86/87 frames are different from the 88/89 frames, and so are the swingarms. The biggest differences in the frames are the foot peg mounts are differnent, the 88/89 are like the 400ex mounts. And the 86/87 also don't have a mount that goes across the back of the frame for the motor to hook to. The motor is hooked to where the swingarm mounts. The 86/87 swingarms are steel and are 1 inch longer than the 88/89 swingarms. The 88/89 swingarms are aluminum. The 88/89 a arms are also 1 inch forward. This is usualy the prefered geometry with the 88/89 frames. The 86 frame I hear is gusseted a little more from the factory than the others. So your decide which frame would best fit your riding. All the motors fit in all the frames, so mo worries there. I have an 87 motor in my 89 frame. The 86 motor has a shorter rod than the other years, and there are some minor changes in the inards of the motors of every year. This site, or some of the other 250r sites. Most of what I got for my R was off this site. Also, there are differences in the shocks and linkage lenghts each year. So keep the same shock and linkage as the same year. But mixing and matching linkages and shocks can result in a higher or lower ride hieght. You would want higher for desert racing, or lower for motocross for example. If you have any other questions just ask, and there are plenty of 250r experts on this site. And here are the most recent pics of how my project is comming along. I have about 2500 into it now, and I have been working on it since november.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture101.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture102.jpg

jman71890
03-28-2005, 10:30 AM
thanks that helped alot! but theres one reason im kind of debating on doing it now, im worried that im not going to be able to find all the little pieces like wiring, airbox, etc.. So if i buy an 88-89 frame i just have to make sure that the parts like a arms and swinger are for that year?

Also wut is a good price on a stock motor with not to many things done to it?

zedicus00
03-28-2005, 10:39 AM
in general all thouse little pieces are easy to find still. with stuff like bolt kits beeing sold on ebay all the time. to make sure yur parts will work the yrs of 86-87 are the same and 88-89 are the same. (with a few minor exceptions.) good price on a complete well running bone stock engine, look to pay around 500. also i highly reccomend looking for a good used aftermarket frame to start with, they can be had for only a lil more then a good used stock frame now a days.

TheFontMaster
03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jman71890
thanks that helped alot! but theres one reason im kind of debating on doing it now, im worried that im not going to be able to find all the little pieces like wiring, airbox, etc.. So if i buy an 88-89 frame i just have to make sure that the parts like a arms and swinger are for that year?

Also wut is a good price on a stock motor with not to many things done to it?

I got my motor compleate with wiering, sparks racing pipe, and carb for a grand. The motor is bored .010 over, and has a pro design cool head. And the motor has only been riden about 4 times on the fresh bore. I thought all the little pieces would be hard to find too, but it's comming along fairly smoothly.