PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock rebuild

wheeltrax
03-27-2005, 09:36 PM
I just purchased a pair of Elka Triple rate front shocks for my 400ex. I was planning on sending in my rear shock to get the elka ZPS dual rate rebuild, but after doing some reading, i have heard a few ppl say they didnt care for it or it wasnt worth the money. I am kind of on a budget now because im saving for a truck too and i dont want to spend the 300 something on the rebuild if its not going to be that noticeable. Would i be better off leaving it stock, getting the elka rebuild or doing something else... Any suggestions?

wheeltrax
03-27-2005, 11:54 PM
bump

zfire_28
03-28-2005, 03:21 AM
I've got a TCS rebuild on my YFZ's rear shock and it is great.
My friend had a TCS rebuild on his EX and it also was way better than stock. I've never ridden on a rear shock rebuilt by Elka but I am sure that you will like it. I have rode a Z400 with new Elka shocks on front and rear, and it performed very similar to the TCS on my YFZ.

I have no doubt that buying a "new" rear shock may perform a little better than a rebuilt one. But I also have no doubt that a lot of people who talk down on the rebuild are only try'n to justify their own decision payn $800+ for a new one.

Kory Ellis raced on a rear shock rebuilt by PEP his first season on a YFZ..........

Don't forget Derisi. His rebuilds are AWSOME!! My brother had Derisi rebuild his front and rear shocks on his YFZ, and all I can say is...............WOW................

2000400EX
03-28-2005, 05:49 AM
I'd like to know about this too. I'm saving up to the the Elka Recreational series front shocks and then have my stock rear shock rebuilt with the Elka conversion....but I don't want to spend the $$ either if I ain't gonna be happy with it. Come on fella's, I know there are more of you out there that have had this done....

Oh yeah, my riding consists of trails/woods riding.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-28-2005, 09:30 AM
I have been racing on the stock shock with elka rebuild for 4 years and no complaints here. If you have elka front and are on a budget this is the way to go.

400exrider707
03-28-2005, 11:54 AM
I got the elka fronts and I think Im sending my rear to GT Thunder. I've heard of nothing but excellent news with his rebuild.

Dave400ex
03-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I think the GT Thunder would be the best, because you get the new rear linkage. Also, you can't go wrong with DeRisi.

yamablaster24
03-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I have TCS triple rates in front and TCS dual rate rear rebuild. The stock 400ex rear shock is a beautiul rear shock and my ZPS dr rear is sooo nice and it sits very low but i have yet to bottom out.

wheeltrax
03-28-2005, 03:40 PM
well thanks for the replies, im sending it out to get the rear elka conversion. I will give my comments on it once i get a chance to ride it.. which will be about a month.

eagertorace
03-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
well thanks for the replies, im sending it out to get the rear elka conversion. I will give my comments on it once i get a chance to ride it.. which will be about a month.

you should have sent it to gt thunder. you get a rebuild with linkage cheaper than the elka conversion:rolleyes:

400exrider707
03-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by eagertorace
you should have sent it to gt thunder. you get a rebuild with linkage cheaper than the elka conversion:rolleyes:

GT Thunder also installs new bearings too.

The linkage, revalve of the stock shock and bearings is $250! Im sending mine out very soon.

2000400EX
03-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Is this GT Thunder rebuild like the Elka rebuild? Because, if he has the Elka's upfront already wouldn't he need the Elka conversion to match the fronts as far as the ride height goes?

400exrider707
03-28-2005, 06:36 PM
I think the only difference is that the elka conversion sets it up to be a dual rate, where as GT only revalves the stock shock. Im not sure as far as ride heights go though.

Dave400ex
03-28-2005, 08:05 PM
All he would need to do is tell Laz his front setup and he could get them setup to work awesome together. The ride height could be adjusted.