PDA

View Full Version : chain keeps coming off

crazyracer250r
03-27-2005, 09:26 PM
hey guys my chain comes off every now and then but realy only when i take curves like a bat out of hell. its tight and one of my case saver threads inside the motor is stripped out ive already cracked one motor beacause of this cold you please help me is it just a problem for r's to do this or is somthing wrong with mine??

pharit
03-27-2005, 09:33 PM
sounds to me like you might have a bent frame partner

Math
03-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Check for a play in your swing arm pivot bearings (where the swing arm bolts to the frame). If the bearings are worn out and it makes a big play and that the chain is loose, your chain will come off.

You can also put a banshee chain slider on your swing arm to help prevent this.

zedicus00
03-28-2005, 01:06 PM
make sure yur carrier bearing arent out too, mine threw chains all the time till i replaced thouse bearings. just a little bit of play is enuf to toss a chain.

Eddiesanders250
03-28-2005, 03:57 PM
If you have been riding on it for a while and your carrier bearings are out you should replace the whole carrier. A carrier with new bearings will cost you about $170. This is what happend to me.

baker250r
03-28-2005, 07:37 PM
but unless u have a stock bearing carrier, you shouldnt have to replace the carrier unless u really anhialate the carrier.. aka, running it for months with shot bearings.

JTRtrx250r
03-28-2005, 09:08 PM
besides what's been asked, how old and maintained is this chain?

Go to the left rear of your R, at about "3'oclock" on the rear sprocket..grab the chain and pull outwards on the links...if you can see light between the chain and sprocket...chit can it, its past due for a new unit

Eddiesanders250
03-28-2005, 09:26 PM
the carriers go out alot. it happened to me my cousin and my uncle all within a year. it happens

Rich250RRacer
03-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Carriers only fail due to lack of maintenance. Check bearings after every ride. Jack up the quad and look for play, also make sure axle nut is tight.

JTRtrx250r
03-28-2005, 10:12 PM
the only way even a stock carrier would "go out"...is by bearing neglect or breakage, usually bearing neglect leads to carrier breakage....., altho I have heard of ppl blowing the stockers w/ extended axles, but otherwise as long as the carrier is pinched into the swinger...it shouldnt go bad

between waisted swinger bearings, bent swinger, bent sprocket, waisted chain and waisted axle bearings...it could be any of the above,... pitcures pretty obvious;)

JTRtrx250r
03-28-2005, 10:15 PM
beat me too it by 9 seconds Rich haha:D and even kept it short and sweet :D

Rich250RRacer
03-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
beat me too it by 9 seconds Rich haha:D and even kept it short and sweet :D

Sorry.......:blah:

pismoracer
03-29-2005, 02:10 PM
what does your chain look like? is it time to replace it? streched? worn ?

beerock
03-29-2005, 04:56 PM
the R's were known for blowing carrier bearings. maintained or not. the double row and tapered are so much bigger and better .

the stock bearings would blow out 2- times before blowing a double bearing or tapered.
If your short on money replace the bearings and maintain them well untill it happens again. if you can invest a big, go for eeither the tapered or double bearing carrier.

elchankoblanko
03-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by beerock
the R's were known for blowing carrier bearings. maintained or not. the double row and tapered are so much bigger and better .

the stock bearings would blow out 2- times before blowing a double bearing or tapered.
If your short on money replace the bearings and maintain them well untill it happens again. if you can invest a big, go for eeither the tapered or double bearing carrier.

I heard that unless you race that the tapered carriers have to be replaced after almost every ride.

beerock
03-29-2005, 05:18 PM
you heard wrong!

elchankoblanko
03-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by beerock
you heard wrong!

hey thats what east coast atv told me.

beerock
03-29-2005, 05:48 PM
they could not have said that, maybe you mis understood them.

the tapered bearing carriers can withstand a higher side load then the double bearings but wear a little faster but not every race!!!!(every season)

elchankoblanko
03-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Yeah thats probly what happend I just remember him sayin that you had to change the bearings more then the stock carrier.

Eddiesanders250
03-29-2005, 07:26 PM
ya dont tell me its a lack of maintnance. if i bearings going out its going to go out. checkin it after every ride is not going to fix it

baker250r
03-29-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
ya dont tell me its a lack of maintnance. if i bearings going out its going to go out. checkin it after every ride is not going to fix it

maintanance means grease..... usually u pack it full of grase b4 hand.... but some carriers come with zerks that u can fill it with grease after u put the bearings in.

Hey Beerock, arent the tapered bearings more for TT and flat track, and drags, than for MX? I know the tappered run smoother, but they cant handle the pounding of mx.

JTRtrx250r
03-29-2005, 10:07 PM
bearings are meant to wear out, only a dumbass would keep riding knowing he had probs and just look/ check them w/o out replaceing:rolleyes: man ...look at the big picture kid

UNLESS you already have carrier probs aka= cracks, chips etc, or jump big w/ an extended axle... they dont just break, and when they do ITS B/C of lack of MAINTAINING IT!!!, using chitty/ wrong tooling to turn the carrier, which rotates fine after almost 20rs when it or any aftermarket carrier is maintained, same w/ the pinch bolts ....you neglect them...they seize and strip or break...geee, wonder what would cause this?? Anyone have a CLUE?

If you dont check your bearings to know when they need replaced...your a dumbass! and thats called LACK OF MAINTAINENCE! If you ride on chitted bearings knowing they need to be replaced...your a dumbass anyway! Once you realize they all go hand in hand...you'll quit waisting $$ on carriers, and blameing it on "something" else

Eddiesanders...read your last post ... and tell me what its missing....its called "the point";) The day your find "self replacing bearings"...give me a yell.

Chains and bearings are MEANT to wear out, so MAINTAIN them and you'll be suprised, as soon as either slightly creates slop...ya swap it out... no questions asked, or when you do...it might get a thread going like this 1, just hope Crazyracer gets the problem fixed, and if nothing else... ppl will learn at least something from this thread..

Rich250RRacer
03-30-2005, 05:31 AM
bearings are meant to wear out, only a dumbass would keep riding knowing he had probs and just look/ check them w/o out replaceing:rolleyes: man ...look at the big picture kid

UNLESS you already have carrier probs aka= cracks, chips etc, or jump big w/ an extended axle... they dont just break, and when they do ITS B/C of lack of MAINTAINING IT!!!, using chitty/ wrong tooling to turn the carrier, which rotates fine after almost 20rs when it or any aftermarket carrier is maintained, same w/ the pinch bolts ....you neglect them...they seize and strip or break...geee, wonder what would cause this?? Anyone have a CLUE?

If you dont check your bearings to know when they need replaced...your a dumbass! and thats called LACK OF MAINTAINENCE! If you ride on chitted bearings knowing they need to be replaced...your a dumbass anyway! Once you realize they all go hand in hand...you'll quit waisting $$ on carriers, and blameing it on "something" else

Eddiesanders...read your last post ... and tell me what its missing....its called "the point";) The day your find "self replacing bearings"...give me a yell.

Chains and bearings are MEANT to wear out, so MAINTAIN them and you'll be suprised, as soon as either slightly creates slop...ya swap it out... no questions asked, or when you do...it might get a thread going like this 1, just hope Crazyracer gets the problem fixed, and if nothing else... ppl will learn at least something from this thread..

You beat me to it this time. You check them after every ride to see if the bearings are loose. This doesn't guarantee they won't fail on you and destroy a carrier, but it does help. If I feel any play in the axle, I check the axle nut first and if that's tight, then it's probably the bearings. The quad sits until they are replaced or the problem is located. Just saved a carrier! THAT'S MAINTENANCE, or awareness.

Eddiesanders250
04-02-2005, 12:15 AM
well you know that there can be no play in the axle when you go out on a ride then after your done with a four hour ride the bearings can shure go out on you cant they! bearings are not meant to last forever and they wont unless you dont use them. Every thing has to be replaced eventually because things wear out on you. If some people have to get new hips than i think that a quad that has bearings working very hard to keep the rear axle spinning should have to get replaced also. Also both me and my cousin had just bought the 250s so it was not our fault.

nacs400ex
04-03-2005, 03:54 PM

10-4 on that, If you check your bearings for wear and grease them regularly, chances are they wont blow on you during a ride. Also if you use cheap bearings don't expect to get as much ride time.

IF YOU KEEP IT MAINTAINED IT'S ONE LESS THING TO WORRY ABOUT WHILE YOUR RIDING.

beerock
04-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by baker250r

Hey Beerock, arent the tapered bearings more for TT and flat track, and drags, than for MX? I know the tappered run smoother, but they cant handle the pounding of mx.

tapered are good for anything but they are more for high sideloads like in TT for drag and mx you would want double bearings. theyll definately last longer then the stock bearings 5/1

In TT the tires have alot more friction to over come to let loose and thus the need for a higher side load bearing. the double rollers would wear FASTER in this situation then the tapered...

baker250r
04-03-2005, 08:08 PM
alright, thanks, thats wut i thought