PDA

View Full Version : Greatest suspension company

Mxracer53
03-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Which one makes the best supension.

bradley300
03-28-2005, 07:37 AM
elkas look the best, so i would go with them, because when its all said and done, non are as good as they can be. the first time mine need re-built, they are going to DeRisi. DeRisi,Noleen, precision concepts, race tech, and pro action are the best shock builders out there, not elka axis or pep

Mxracer53
03-28-2005, 10:54 AM
i think you got the wrong meaning from this poll. i meant which has the best supension out of the box tuned, and last the longest. i didnt mean supension tunners. thanks

middleman102002
03-28-2005, 03:35 PM
What about TCS i,like them

Mxracer53
03-28-2005, 03:50 PM
this is to see who thinks who is the greatest of the big three suspension manufactoring

03-28-2005, 03:55 PM
sinc eI have n oexperience with any of these three I won't vote but I liked my old works :D

ThumPIN_450R
03-28-2005, 05:30 PM
gotta vote for them PEP boys I love mine and would never use any thing else. I've ridden bikes with elkas and axis and I liked my peps better than any of them but it's really hard to tell by riding some one elses quad it always feels weird to me for some reason.

middleman102002
03-28-2005, 06:04 PM
What do you mean TCS is huge there as big as PEP easy the only difference is doug gust or Tim farr dont ride on them

Mxracer53
03-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I just mean like the most mx shocks most high performance the most expensive.

yamablaster24
03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Live and die by TCS

total control suspension :D

middleman102002
03-28-2005, 07:49 PM
ok so tcs probably has the best mx shocks ive seen
they are not that bad in the price range so i think they should be in the poll
i know its not my poll but
elkas are way overpriced your buying the name
i mean there good and all but not as good as what there charging
Axis i personally think are the most unrelliable shocks on the market
and PEP should be in the poll cause they have great suspension
i just personnally like TCS cause they are awsome

look http://www.ctracing.com/suspensi.htm

middleman102002
03-28-2005, 07:54 PM
and look what this article about them says
"TCS, known througout the quad industry as one of, if not THE best suspension companies around"

http://www.crowerpower.com/tcs.htm

another article about them

http://www.off-road.com/atv/projects/2003z400/tcs/

look im not trying to be a dick or anything but its kinda like saying

who makes the best pickup truck on the market today
Chevy
Dodge
Toyota

and leaving out another big company like Ford or Nissan or something

im really not trying to be rude i just dont understand why ppl think those suspension systems are the best ones and only ones you should buy if you race

black450r
03-29-2005, 07:19 AM
how many pros use? not to many cause they stink

Jersey450R
03-29-2005, 07:44 AM
dude the pros use whatever they like + whatever sponsor they have that will give it to them cheapest.
i personally like axis. theres a great article about them on doug gusts website. but i really dont have that kind of dough right now so i'm probably going with a rebuild. one day...............................one day :cool:

KILLAQuad
03-29-2005, 08:49 AM
I picked AXIS... plus their customer service was Top Notch but i that Elkas service is top notch as well....

I had 2 days to get my shocks re-sprung and re-valved for the Georgia race.... everyone else was 2 or so WEEKS out.... I called AXIS and they said to overnight them to them and they will overnight them back out the next day... i overnighted them to them in CALI. they got them at 8am their time, and i had them EXACTLY 40 hrs later in my time zone and they where FLAWLESS at the race... bolted them on and said no more.....:D

RedRacer44
03-29-2005, 09:54 AM
I had a PEP front end on my 250R and it worked amazing! I had my mind set on PEPs for my 450R and I placed my order through JH Racing for a set the day I got my 450R. The owner of JH Racing, Johnny Hale, was a sponsored PEP rider for Wayne for years so I figured I'd get them quite fast. Uh, no! 3 Months pass and I call Johnny....he says Wayne hasnt even touched any of his own shocks thats been there for 2 months and he's 6 months behind on customer orders. :eek: I've heard similiar horror stories of people waiting 6 months to a year for a set of PEPs but then again, some people get lucky....get them in a month. Wayne is still the man as far as ATV suspension but business-wise, I wouldnt buy PEP again.

So I bit the bullet and took a chance on Elka. Wow, was I ever impressed. I got my Elkas in 15 days and bolted them up to go to open MX practice. They worked like a dream and have worked flawlessly since then. I dis-agree when you say you're "buying the name" as far as Elka, 'cause they havent been around as long as some of the other companies but now are just as good. They're customer service is top notch and are willing to help out amatuer riders as myself which is totally awesome. I'm not saying the other companies arent like this because I hear good things about Axis. Dont know much about TCS, I've heard different things....both good and bad.

But overall, if you have the time to wait....PEP is worth it. If not, Elka's are the way to go and get my vote.

middleman102002
03-29-2005, 10:27 AM
So what if big name pros dont use TCS just because there not out to give tons of money to the pros to use there shocks

think about it if you a pro and Axis Elka and TCS all come to you with sponsorship options

Axis wants to give you 1000 dollars
Elka wants to give you 10000 dollars
and TCS wants to give you 100 dollars

i know who i would pick even if they may not be my favorite suspension company

im not trying to knock anyone who thinks that elkas are the best or peps or axis im just saying TCS quality of shock is as good if not better than all three of the companys

there also on of the biggest names in dessert racing for ATVs

they have some of the best LT MX shoxks ive seen
and every pair is hand made to the customer

ThumPIN_450R
03-29-2005, 10:46 AM
The only thing elka about any of the pro shocks is on the out side any ways. Most of them have the shocks completly redone inside out by other companies like epic or noleen any ways. PEP's are NORMALLY pep shocks inside and out. I can't say this with complete confidence becuase I don't know any of this for shure but most of the people sponsored by elka also have noleen, epic and other sponsors who do their shocks ( Ellis, Schell,Gust,Jones). But the bottom line is this all of these shocks are awesome stuff just buy what you can get cheapest like the looks of or can get quick. It only took me about a month and a half to get my PEP fronts which I was happy with since all I heard when ordering them is "oh man there is like a 4 year wait on peps don't but them". Any ways I don't know where I'm going with this so that's all for now kids;)

blaster_rider68
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
i like PEP.........i heard they were more durable,but i like the look of ELKAs better

CdaleXtreme
03-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I think PEPs come setup the best, and are the easiest to make changes. They are a simpler shock. and I think are a little more durable than the others.

I run ELKA and dont have too many complaints.

Everyones experiences are different with each company.

But I have never heard anything about PEP sucking, aside from the wait.

Dave400ex
03-29-2005, 04:02 PM
I agree with Bradley. If you want the best suspension, a custom tuner will get that done for you. Mine will go to either DeRisi or Precision Concepts as soon as I get the money.

R3Concepts
03-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Wayne Mooradian is as professional tuner as it gets folks. Go to a national and watch Wayne go around and help everyone adjust their shocks. PEPs come race ready out of the box, PEP valving, not Noleen or PC like Elkas need. You can go fast on PEPs right away, it took me 2 days to get Elkas set even close, not to mention they didnt like square edge at all. Only Wayne and Ron build PEPs on the west coast, Mark on the east. Thats 3 guys, yes long wait, but quality control is 10 times better. Do a search on Elka sending the wrong shocks. All people complain about is PEPs wait time, and Mark can usually get them done in 4-6 weeks.

bradley300
03-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
The only thing elka about any of the pro shocks is on the out side any ways. Most of them have the shocks completly redone inside out by other companies like epic or noleen any ways. PEP's are NORMALLY pep shocks inside and out. I can't say this with complete confidence becuase I don't know any of this for shure but most of the people sponsored by elka also have noleen, epic and other sponsors who do their shocks ( Ellis, Schell,Gust,Jones).

your right, a seperate comany does not do PEP's shocks, but you'd be crazy to think that tim far has the same springing and valving as anyone else that ordered his set up. The guy at PEP has the talent to set up shocks just as well as noleen and pro action, but if he tried to do that, he would have an even longer wait than he already does

ThumPIN_450R
03-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
your right, a seperate comany does not do PEP's shocks, but you'd be crazy to think that tim far has the same springing and valving as anyone else that ordered his set up. The guy at PEP has the talent to set up shocks just as well as noleen and pro action, but if he tried to do that, he would have an even longer wait than he already does

Mark Baldwin is a good friend and long time mechanic for tim farr. Baldwin watches all of tims races and can see how the suspension works for him every time out. So of course tim will have stuff that the every day racer with peps doesn't have all baldwin has to go off of from us is what we tell him and then he dials it as close as possible to that. If I had baldwin with me at every race I'm pretty sure I could get some of that special treatment too. To tell you the truth though most of us are to slow to need that any ways just about any of the top 3 shock manufactures would be fine for us without noticing too much of a difference in performance any ways. Choosing between axis pep or elka is just like choosing honda suzuki or yamaha just get the brand you like and ride it!:cool:

Hawk III
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
well wayne wouldn't build a shock for someone else with tims spec's. why would he? everyone is different, and there are only a handful of people that could handle the suspension that tim uses. he will use the same componets, but the valving and springs are going to be different for everyone. thats what wayne does better than anyone else in the country. and thats why it takes so long to get his shocks. when you order shocks from any other shock manufacturer they ask you how much you weigh, what a-arms, what swing arm....with wayne, he not only asks those questions, he finds out what level rider you are, what tires you run, what wheels you are running (beadlocks or no beadlocks), are you running a skid plate...what kind of skid plate, hell i think he will ask if you take a crap before you race :p all his shocks are hand built to your specs every time. Wayne will never build shocks on a assembly line. and when you get your shocks from PEP they will be race ready to go as soon as they are on your quad.

mx400
03-30-2005, 01:35 PM
ok so you don't see TCS on the pros quads. Do you see DeRisi shocks on the pros quads? Does that mean the shocks he builds suck? Hell NO! he builds great shocks and so do TCS. I get sick of everyone being led around by a dog collar by Elka. They are good shocks but not everyone is going to want to use them. PEP is by far a great company. Wonderful service and extremely great products. Axis is a great product but I have never used one on anything I have owned, so no comment.

middleman102002
03-30-2005, 01:47 PM
what he said

03-30-2005, 02:28 PM
i vote of fox, and then it would be tcs, to much money for shocks that none of us could ever get to its fullest to take advantage of anyways.,I vote for the new foxes, then it would be tcs i had them on my 400ex and they where great!just my 2 cents!