PDA

View Full Version : need top end speed help?

dudleydoright15
03-27-2005, 08:11 PM
I was riding on flat land dirt roads and I am topping out in 5th gear way to fast. Does anyone have any sugestions on how to get more speed with out loosing to much bottem end power.

concidering new counter shaft sprocket one tooth bigger.

or new rear tires inch taller.

YFZ450Ridr
03-27-2005, 09:09 PM
you could go 1 tooth bigger on the front sproket OR get 22 inch rear tires(expecting your tires are 20 inch). getting taller tires or a bigger front sproket will have close to the same effect and give you a higher top speed but you will also loose a little bottom end that way.

mountaineer
03-28-2005, 05:16 PM
I have 15t front and 40t rear with 18" tires and lots of top speed with little bottom end loss. I run motocross outdoor style tracks. I run 20" tires on the trails.

dudleydoright15
03-28-2005, 10:47 PM
thanks dude for the info I finally realized that I just had my jetting all wrong and I went out and put the yz450 dirt bike needle on the fourth clip position and a 175 main, 42 pilot with, one and a half turns on air screw, I am going to run it again tomorrow and see how fast it realy is if it is still not fast enough I will put the 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket then try that. Well thanks for the info.

ride em hard put em away wet.

any pics of bikes here is one of mine.

watts16
03-28-2005, 10:54 PM
j/w
what do you like better for an all around machine
your suzuki or yfz

dudleydoright15
03-28-2005, 11:00 PM
I like my z-400 for all around riding I have had it longer and it just keeps going and I beat it up like I stole it. I have not had my Yfz for very long and I am having trouble with the jetting but it is coming around I do know it is fast and handles better than my Z but I take my z when I go to the moutains but when I go to the track or the river I take the 450 because of the speed. I would have to say if you have a chance to try both of them let that be your answer for sure but every one rides with a different style so keep that in mind. thanks for you reply.

ride em hard put em away wet.