PDA

View Full Version : Is the spacer on my elka shocks upside down?

mrusk
05-11-2002, 09:06 AM
I am not sure if my 2nd gray spacer is upside down or not. The pics i have seen arnt the best. My top spacer has the lip on the bottom. The bottom spacer has the lip on top. Is this correct? If it isnt, how do i flip it over?

matt

harebounder
05-11-2002, 10:06 AM
i would have to go look at mine but they are to keep the springs seperated where did you get your shocks from just call them if you don't trust them call elka

QuadRacer041
05-11-2002, 04:48 PM
FOR ALL THE TALK ABOUT HOW GOOD ELKA IS SUPOSSED TO BE SURE HAVE SEEN ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THEM...HMMMMMM

Dave400ex
05-11-2002, 04:51 PM
I agree with Quad041. I am looking at PEP`s again. I just have to Wait and see if Baldwin tells me to get the Limited Mass or ZPS.

NJ300ex
05-11-2002, 04:53 PM
mrusk, this isn't related but how do you like the houser stem? How is the chrome finish and how do the welds look? thanks

rowlrag
05-12-2002, 02:53 PM
if they have a short lip and a long lip the long lip goes up to make contact with the next lip or the preload ring as the springs fully compress to keep from coil binding the springs. To remove the springs, run the preload ring all the way to top, hold the top of the shock to your stomach, grab the bottom of the bottom spring, pull it toward you and remove the red ring on the bottom with your other hand. Pay attention to the order of the springs especially quad rate because they are different spring rates, First the SSD, one spring seat (long lip up) ,next spring ,another seat (long lip up), then the main spring, for triple rates. The springs go from soft down to the main spring which is the stiffest. orrect me if I'm wrong please.

beerock
05-12-2002, 03:02 PM
the stiffist sping in the triple or quad rate is a small spring the large spring is the medium sprng.

in triple rates the order of springs doesnt matter(as long as the large one is on the botttom.

the two smaller springs are opposite of each other, one is very soft and is the first rate. the second small spring (usually the top spring) is the stiffist out of the three.,

usually it doesnt matter which way the spring seat is, but with elkas it does because they are using the seats for two jobs,
1: crossover point
2: spring seating

other shocks use the seats as seats and aluminum crossovers for spring crossover points.

on other shocks it doesnt matter which way the seats are cuz there all the same length.

with the elkas you can actually change your spring crossove rpoint by flipping the seats around.

this can etiher be good or bad...

id rater have aluminum crossover ings imho

Razorback
05-12-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by mrusk
I am not sure if my 2nd gray spacer is upside down or not. The pics i have seen arnt the best. My top spacer has the lip on the bottom. The bottom spacer has the lip on top. Is this correct? If it isnt, how do i flip it over?

matt

i just got mine a couple of days ago and mine is the same way. i've seen some other riders' pictures and i believe that is correct. by the way, i rode on mine for the first time yesterday, and they are awesome shocks. they ride very nice and i am now able to blast through whoops and the new shocks just soak up everything. also, hit some decent size jumps and these shocks handle the landing many times better than stock. no bottoming out anymore.

mrusk
05-12-2002, 04:28 PM
rowlrag- i dont understand if ur saying mine or right or not. this may help

the top one is like this

l
l
l
-
l

bottom one
l
-

matt

beerock
05-12-2002, 04:48 PM
matt did you not understand what I said?

you can use the crossover whichever way you want. but you could have adverse affects which will help you or burden you.

all those croosover/seats do is make the springs crossover after a certain amount of travel.

mrusk
05-12-2002, 05:45 PM
So which ever way the spacers are its ok?

matt

rowlrag
05-12-2002, 05:52 PM
put both lips up

rowlrag
05-12-2002, 08:39 PM
Mrusk check your pm messages