PDA

View Full Version : Help with 300ex

HondaR
03-27-2005, 05:06 PM
i need some help on what jet to by for my keihin carb... im guessing a 32mm like all other 300ex's well anyways it is a 94' i have a k&n air filter and a DG pipe(super loud)also pipe is for sale or trade.. i need to know what style my carb is so i know what kind of jet to order.. like is it a ..PJ,CR,FCR,PWK,PWM,PE,PD...or what someone please help i have a stock 122 jet in there and it is running really lean..please help!!!

dork
03-28-2005, 01:13 AM
your carb is a variation of the keihin CR series. regardless, it takes "13 series" main jets, they are the 6mm hex head kind, and "21 series" pilot jets. a 125-130 main should be close.

2muchquad
03-28-2005, 07:03 AM
depending on where you live i would try a 124 or so.i had the same mods but i didnt have a airbox at all,clamp on air filter and i only ran a 128 if i remember right.if your bike doesnt want to wind out or you see puffs of black smoke when you goose it,chances are you are too fat on the main.like dork said though you shouldnt need more than a 130 unless your in alaska.:)

HondaR
03-28-2005, 11:19 AM
alright thanx for the help.. im going to call the honda dealer and see if they have a jet kit..i think they sale moose or something if that is a good one?? i should be able to run a stage 2 right?? thanx again

300exOH
03-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
depending on where you live i would try a 124 or so.i had the same mods but i didnt have a airbox at all,clamp on air filter and i only ran a 128 if i remember right.if your bike doesnt want to wind out or you see puffs of black smoke when you goose it,chances are you are too fat on the main.like dork said though you shouldnt need more than a 130 unless your in alaska.:)

Actually that's not entirely true. I'm running a 135main and 42 pilot jet with my Sparks x4 and modded airbox lid. I'm in ohio also. Anyhow go with what dork recommended and you should be fine.

Eddiesanders250
03-28-2005, 05:15 PM
get a jet kit then you wont have to know all that stuff. and yea i used to have a 300 ex and the jet kit made a big difference. especially in the long run.

400exrider707
03-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
get a jet kit then you wont have to know all that stuff. and yea i used to have a 300 ex and the jet kit made a big difference. especially in the long run.

Just because you buy a jet kit doesn't mean you dont have to know what your doing. The jet kit isn't the correct jetting all the time either. Its just ballpark jetting. You still need to fine tune! Also a stage 2 might be worse than the stage 1. People read that and think "Oh stage 2 is going to give me more power" when it actually might make it run worse. Correct jetting is key.

04'400ex'er
03-28-2005, 06:14 PM
The fact about jetting is that only one jet will work right at any specific time in your bike. Now if you know a little about what your doing then you dont need a jet kit. you can order a few individual jets from a delar or internet and have all you need. but one way or another you are gonna have to find out what jet you need whether you buy a jet kit or not so if you got $50 to burn then buy the kit but id rather do my homework ahead of time and buy about 3 mains around the size I think I will need and 2 pilots the same way.

redrider69
03-28-2005, 08:05 PM
how much u asking for the pipe????

good luckwith the jetting

HondaR
03-28-2005, 08:13 PM
ill take 60 bucks plus whatever for shipping for the muffler i have to keep the midpipe for whatever else i get.. i can take a pick for you the pipe is good and good shape just way to loud for me i have had it for awhile now im just tired of not being able to hear..lol ...just let me know ..also on curtis sparks racing site it says run a 135 main..and 42 pilot and stock needle clip position..also 2+/-1/2 turns fuel screw from closed it that meaning 2 and half turns?? also should i try this setup ..? im in the houston area of texas?? thanx again

300exOH
03-29-2005, 09:32 AM
135 main may be too rich for the DG. You'll just have to try a couple sizes and see what works. A 40 or 42 pilot should work. I run the 42 because I live in a cold climate. The pilot screw will need to be anyhwere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. With a warm engine start with the screw at 1 1/2 turns out and turn it until the highest idle is acheved and back it off just a fraction of a turn. That should have you really close. I wouldn't bother with a jet kit either since you won't even need half of what's included. Just order a few individual keihen jets.

HondaR
03-29-2005, 11:25 AM
hey has anyone everhad this problem...i can be riding and the bike be fine kinda feels like it is missing but could just be because of not have the right jet...well anyways all the sudden the bike will rev all the way up and get stuck and starts smoking(white) only every now and then it will do it then i kill it wiggle on the throttle cable like i was thinking it was stuck start it up and its fine start riding awhile and same thing again ..well i took the carb top off where the throttle valve the slide part where you adjust the needle..well on one side inside of it where the little arm attaches that you have to take the 2 screws out to get to one of them is broke off like someone over tightens it or something ...do you think it could be getting in a bind ontop of the one broken off and then when i mess with the throttle it stops?? also should i adjust my valves ? make sure there right..i know your suppose to pretty often right? please if anyone has had this problem let me know im on my lunch break i get off at 5 so if anyone has an idea for things to check let me know because when i get off im going to put that screw in and adjust the valves..also until i get my jets in how far out from all the way in should i adjust my fuel/air screw so i can ride it with my pipe and stuff like it is for now..thanx for all the help also will this jet fit my 300ex carb? http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=172402135&store=&catId=413&productId=17240280&leafCatId=41303

redrider69
03-29-2005, 05:44 PM
yea man could i get a pic and find how much it will be to ship

sorry bout interrupting the thread just need exhaust

HondaR
03-29-2005, 06:30 PM
here are the details on it...besides the alloy part...its in fair shape i mean its not all dented up or anything could you a new paint job but that would be up to you the pipe is very loud (and i like loud but it is to loud for me)and i know i paid a good bit about almost a year ago for it(im just wanting to get something little quieter)..let me know i don't know shipping on it..but how about 75 bucks and ill take care of shipping and insurance if that sounds good if your still interested...also the part close to the fender isn't rust or anything its just where the bar on the fender had rubbed it from putting on and off...well here is the details .... Alloy RCM Exhaust for Sportrax 250X/300EX RCM’s(Reverse Cone Megaphones) are designed to extract maximum power from your 4-stroke motor. The secret is in our unique tapered cone design. Whether you’re on the track or trail, DG RCM tuned 4-stroke exhaust systems lead the way with paralleled torque and acceleration. hey also its really dirty

redrider69
03-29-2005, 06:40 PM
how u want me to pay for it ?? money order or ??? pm me