PDA

View Full Version : Maier Review

Pappy
03-27-2005, 04:55 PM
I will be the first to stand up and say something is wrong with a product, and I am man enough to shout out when I find a company that responds by improving that product.

With that in mind, Maier has finally put out a set of fenders that meet what I feel is a set of plastics almost as good as O.E.M. The only thing keeping me from saying "as good or better" is the fact that aftermarket fenders dont use the same mounting techniques as O.E.M. I am sure this relates to a cost issue and nothing more.

The latest 400ex I had in here for a rebuild allowed me the chance to install Maier's 1 piece front fender. I must say that installation was a snap. Mounting the headlights was still a chore, but the final outcome was secure and looked like it was supposed to look.

Pappy
03-27-2005, 05:01 PM
The new one piece design eliminates the side panels on the 400ex and makes installation and removal a breeze. The lines are cleaned up for a better overall look.

Mounting the fenders still requires the included fender brackets to be secured to the fenders and then to the factory mounts. The hardware even is of better quality and should not rust and tarnish as in the past.

The glossier finish that Maier has been putting out the last 2 years looks great and thier color choices should allow a buyer to purchase a color that meets thier requirements.

Pappy
03-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Maier remains the lowest cost aftermarket supplier of ATV fenders and the latest rounds of improvements should bolster thier position in the market place even further.

Keep up the good work Maier, your improvements have not gone unnoticed.

mx400
03-27-2005, 05:27 PM
way to go pappy. I have been contemplating new 1-piece front fenders for a while but have been obligated w/ other things but now I think that will be a first thing come this summer. the lines just look soooooo much better w/ the 1-piece design.

unstopable1
03-27-2005, 05:46 PM
Are the front fender extensions removeable?

Pappy
03-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by unstopable1
Are the front fender extensions removeable?

I believe you can order race cut fronts with extensions that can be added/removed

This set has a set of lower fender extensions but I havent added them, I will leave that to the owner of the quad if he so choses.

Cody_300ex
03-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Good reveiw pappy! The fenders do look pretty sharp. But Maier 400ex full fenders are worthless IMO, They bearly cover anything, just big enough to put the warning label. see pics

Cody_300ex
03-27-2005, 06:50 PM
another example

Cody_300ex
03-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Stock honda!

Cody_300ex
03-27-2005, 06:53 PM
another stock honda example

JDiablo
03-27-2005, 06:57 PM
we get the point cody:D

Pappy
03-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Cody, if you would take a second and actually read what i posted, the full fenders come with the add on piece that gives full fender coverage in the area you are addressing.

with that said maybe you should read things twice before jumping to conclusions

mx400
03-27-2005, 07:05 PM
if you would have read he said he hasn't added the lower front fender extensions because he wasn't sure if the owner wanted them.

Pappy
03-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mx400
if you would have read he said he hasn't added the lower front fender extensions because he wasn't sure if the owner wanted them.

exactly.

and other owners may not have wanted the extensions added on for thier own reasons. where is beerock and his R.I.F.:p

Cody_300ex
03-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Cody, if you would take a second and actually read what i posted, the full fenders come with the add on piece that gives full fender coverage in the area you are addressing.

with that said maybe you should read things twice before jumping to conclusions

Sorry Pappy, It was just a Trend I have noticed with almost all 400ex maier full fenders. I wasnt trying to be rude just state my opinion, my fault. Also, good job on the quad! When I get my next quad within the next be expecting at least a frame. :cool:

Tommy 17
03-27-2005, 07:46 PM
those are my fenders... i'm goin to add the lower support i think just because it gives the fender a 2nd place to mount and should make them hold up better... i cracked my old fenders bc they got heavy with mud...

Jake250r
03-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Man i absolutely LOVE that frame. and the black bumper goes well. I like maire on alot more than just EX's my bros Raptor has maire, and i like the sleaker look of the radiator cover there.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-28-2005, 09:53 AM
Glad you finally got the fenders, I personally don't run the extensions.

Dave400ex
03-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Pappy: Can you get some close up pictures of the side of the headlights where the black pieces meet the plastic? I want to see if mine is fitting the same. Also do you have any of the back of the front fender where it bolts to the frame by the subframe?

Tommy I will be putting my extensions on as well, for the very reason of having the side fender mount so they don't sag...

Pappy
03-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
Glad you finally got the fenders, I personally don't run the extensions.

haha it was perfect timing:D

johnnydufus
03-29-2005, 07:53 AM
could someone post pics of one with the extensions and how they mount up?

Dave400ex
03-29-2005, 03:42 PM
You just drill 3 holes in the plastic and the extensions bolt on. It's really not hard at all to do.

johnnydufus
03-29-2005, 07:02 PM
does it look odd? like it shouldnt be there at all or is it flush and looks good?

Dave400ex
03-29-2005, 08:33 PM
When I held them up to it they looked fine there, but I haven't bolted them on yet. I will have to let you know after I do it, I think it will look good though.

02 Red Rider
03-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Here are some pics of my Silver Maier with the extensions. My biggest gripe about the Maier was the way the Rear Fender support was designed.

Has that changed at all Pappy?

That being said Maier IS the only company that offers a set of plastic that retains the factory lights. We ride at night from time to time and I prefer the stock lights to aftermarkets that sit on top of the bars.

02 Red Rider
03-29-2005, 08:55 PM

Pappy
03-29-2005, 08:56 PM
No, the rear mounting remains the same. maier, laker and fullbore all mount the same way

02 Red Rider
03-29-2005, 09:01 PM

02 Red Rider
03-29-2005, 09:08 PM
No, the rear mounting remains the same. maier, laker and fullbore all mount the same way

I would just drive me nuts, because while just putting all you can hear is the squeak, squeak, squeak. Since the fenders would bounce due to the support bar mounts loosely connect through the "L" brackets, leaving metal on metaL scrape.

Oh well, maybe someday ther will be a better solution, till then there is a generous coating of lube each ride.:D

04-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 02 Red Rider
there is a generous coating of lube each ride.:D

:eek2: :huh

brif
04-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Pappy, what color is that frame on the white 400ex? CAn we get some close up pics of it? Thanks.........

BLAZE1
04-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Can you run a larger (Clark) tank with the one piece fronts?:ermm:

RidrKFX
04-22-2005, 05:41 PM
i bought some black maier plastic and i love it

Tommy 17
04-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by BLAZE1
Can you run a larger (Clark) tank with the one piece fronts?:ermm:

you could run the tank that sticks out where the gas tank cover is... i don't think you could run the tank that is part of the side panels... i don't think it would cover it...

Bender
04-27-2005, 05:01 AM
They look much improved, but I still don't think any aftermaket fenders can match the quality, fitment and price of the oem ones.

Ghost-Rider
04-27-2005, 06:21 PM
wow pappy everytime i see those pics of that white plastic i just wanna sit here and stare at it man that is a nice lookin quad dude!!!!!!!!!:blah:

Tommy 17
06-01-2005, 03:15 PM
heres my fallow up on them... after some riding time on them heres what i've found...

they sag like no other...

the rear pipe melted the rear fender...

the plastic flops around and makes a ton of noise...

the rear has no brace brakets so it bounces all over the place...

honestly i don't like this stuff very much... i acutally wouldn't mind selling it and going back to stock...

Doibugu2
06-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
heres my fallow up on them... after some riding time on them heres what i've found...

honestly i don't like this stuff very much... i acutally wouldn't mind selling it and going back to stock...

Well, that's great info. I was just about to go and buy some new plastic. That sure makes me think twice.

Pappy
06-01-2005, 04:23 PM
The sad part is that without custom fender bracketry, all aftermarket fenders will exhibit the symptoms tommy has expierenced. (even on factory fenders heavy mud will cause the droop)

tommy, did you ever add your fender extensions and front fender brackets or re tighten all the mounting hardware. my brothers blue maier rattles but he is missing half his bolts:p

Doibugu2
06-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Pappy, you probably know best, is Fullbore with the extra money? What's involved for custom brackets?

Is black going to hold up to trail riding or should I choose a different color. I want it to look good, at least for a little while.

Pappy
06-01-2005, 04:31 PM
the fullbore i had seemed stiffer then the maier. being 1 piece fronts helped tremdously and im surprised to hear the bad report on the 1 piece maier. all rear fenders will droop ..sucks but its the way it is. on factory or aftermarket a custom fender support is almost a requirement if you ride alot of mud.

id run away from black and stay with a lighter color. black looks good as long as it stays on the trailer:chinese:

is fullbore worth the extra cash? $200 is a big difference and you would have to factor in what your trying to do with the quad. if its a fashion statement then spend your money on what look you prefer. both should hold up about the same.

as far as brackets, ive seen all types made. some looked good enough to pass as factory while others were made following the "form follows function" line of thinking:p

06-03-2005, 11:59 PM
i like the way the maiers look. Nice job pappy

PowerJunkie
06-08-2005, 01:59 PM
how do you write on the pic?

quading is fun
06-08-2005, 02:20 PM
probably using Paint (the program not the actual paint that goes on walls and stuff) :p

maynard22
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM
I have seen that quad with the white plastics and green frame on here a couple of times before, and I have to say that is my favorite bike that I have seen on this site, it's plain and simple and that color scheme kicks arse!!

MXBOB
06-09-2005, 05:23 PM
i like the Maier plastic and i think its a good thing for some one that doesnt have all the money to replace plastic and they have made it so much better over the years i mean now its predrilled

huffdaddy_400EX
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

Tommy,

I just installed a full set of White Maier on my candy red frame 400ex and the rear does have a brace kit. You need to re-use the current brace that is attached to the seat and drill 2 holes in the plastic for the supports. It works pretty good. As for the fender melting, I assume you didn't put some heat resistent tape on. I had installed some UFO plastic on a KX a few years ago and had the pipe melt the side-plate...so I knew to add the tape.

Sorry you're having issues, I love mine.

Tommy 17
06-12-2005, 07:59 PM
i put the braces on and it still flops like crazy!!!! its horrible...

Tommy 17
06-12-2005, 08:05 PM
tommy, did you ever add your fender extensions and front fender brackets or re tighten all the mounting hardware. my brothers blue maier rattles but he is missing half his bolts:p

no i left them off for now to see if i like it... i think the fender flare would stop the fronts from sagging but the rears are hopeless...

i've tried using the rear bracket, i've tried bunggie cording them but NOTHING HELPS!!!!:(

huffdaddy_400EX
06-12-2005, 09:14 PM
sorry to hear it. I haven't had the problem you're talking about, mine works fine. Maybe it was the batch of plastic that maier used at the time (causing it to flex more??). Have you tried calling them?

400exrider36
06-24-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by brif
Pappy, what color is that frame on the white 400ex? CAn we get some close up pics of it? Thanks.........

Pappy
06-24-2005, 09:39 PM
its a dormant powder, granny smith.

looks wild in person. its a shade or 2 darker then this picture

400exrider36
06-24-2005, 11:11 PM
awesome, thanks

Sleeper
06-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by MXBOB
i like the Maier plastic and i think its a good thing for some one that doesnt have all the money to replace plastic and they have made it so much better over the years i mean now its predrilled

What are you talking about? Honda 400ex rear fender $100.00, Maier rear fender $149.00. ??

sleeper

98red
06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Pappy could you tell me more about the installing the headlights. just started mine and already having trouble with it.Do you take apart the headlights first then put it in or did you install it as 1 piece ? thanks

Pappy
06-30-2005, 08:02 PM
its a pain, but i believe they went in as 1 piece

Dave400ex
06-30-2005, 09:29 PM
I couldn't get my headlights even close to fitting, so I just made a cover out of plexiglass to fill the hole. It looks sweet actually...

98red
07-01-2005, 07:17 PM
yea it was a pain but I got it on, I put all the black pieces on first then i put the head lights on...it was a s.o.b

F-16Guy
07-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Sleeper
What are you talking about? Honda 400ex rear fender $100.00, Maier rear fender $149.00. ??

sleeper
Stock rear plastic is cheaper than $100. I'm trying to figure out how a piece of plastic is worth $150. It's not like you have to start from scratch, either. Honda already did all of the hard work; all Maier (and the others) had to do was copy it and tweek it a little, since I'm sure Honda has some kind of design rights. Look up the prices on Service Honda for plastic and tell me why there is such a big difference. I'll tell you why: A.T.V.=C.A.S.H. Look at the prices of everything; carbs, shocks, wheels, tires--everything! None of it is new technology. Aftermarket companies know a fat hog when they see one. All you kids be sure to thank your dads for those $1500 shocks. Whoops; little rant there, my bad.:devil:

quading is fun
07-28-2005, 06:15 AM
haha my daddy dont pay for **** on my quad... (except the brakes)

07-29-2005, 02:21 PM
my neon yellow maier fit perfect and does'nt flop at all with the brackets that came with it.

PimpC
08-11-2005, 04:19 PM
anyone have pics of a rear brace that works?

lostcreekz450
08-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
another example

yea but how many mx racers buy these and how many mx racers care to have that extra peice considering most of them cut there fendors of anyway you prolly race mx adn prolly dont care to ahve that eahter ??