PDA

View Full Version : question about loss of top end power

buckwild
03-27-2005, 04:42 PM
hey,
i was riding the other day, and while going down a hill i heard a pop and the 400ex cut off like i had let off the clutch(but i hadnt).
well after that i noticed that there was loss of top end power (hard to pull steep hills etc) however it will still start and idle normal and there are no mechanical noises. also when in higher gear now (5th) full throttle it feels like it is in the lower end of third. again all top end is gone. also i changed the air filter, spark plugg and oil. just trouble shooting the old plug apperared normal. please reply im in serious need of help
thanks ahead of time
shawn

rsimmons_82
03-27-2005, 06:39 PM
sounds like clutch problem to me. sometimes when a clutch breaks or wears out, the slippage will make it feal underpowered.

rYan01400EX
03-27-2005, 09:48 PM
What the guy above me said sounds like a reasonable answer. I asked dad, he works on motors, and he said that his answer sounds right, however, it could be other things.

cals400ex
03-28-2005, 11:34 AM
if it revs but doesn't go any faster, it is probably the clutch that needs replaced. does it want to miss or studder when your at full throttle now?

buckwild
03-28-2005, 07:34 PM
no it doesnt miss or anything its like at part throttle it seems ok mabey a lil weaker but when i push it do full throttle there is no more power or top end. also when in neutrual when i push the throttel in fast it hesiatates and doesnt rev up quick
thanks for the replys so far please keep em coming

buckwild
03-28-2005, 07:35 PM
o and no it does not rev high at all when at full throttle while in motion

rYan01400EX
03-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Is your throttle cable stretched, out of adjustment, or anything?
Choke sticking? This sounds like a carb related problem. It seems maybe a float is sticking or something inside the carb is. Does it do like it does when you have the choke open, mash the gas? It dies down.. Then when you let off it goes back to normal until you mash it in again??

cals400ex
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
look at your spark plug and see what color it is. make sure the mainjet didn't fall out of place.