PDA

View Full Version : Ordered twist throttle

05-11-2002, 07:59 AM
Last night I ordered a Motion Pro twist throttle and the parts guy I ordered it from is like ypu're gonna hate that, everyone I've sold them to has taken them off. I've ridden dirt bikes since I was 6 and I'm now 26 so I have had plenty of time to learn how to use a twist.:D So what do you guys think that have them? I mostly woods ride and just play around. Thanks for any replies.
I gotta go to work soon, but I'll check back later.

RedRage300ex
05-11-2002, 08:20 AM
im thinking about getting one, cuz i went to this motocross track came off a tabletop sideways and my thumb got in between the thumb throttle and the grip and felt like it broke! Plus when you land hard your thumb slips off and then you got to get back on the gas. So a twist throttle is DEFINATELY worth it i would think!!

Nausty
05-11-2002, 11:17 AM
i've said this a bunch of times but make sure your careful with them because they can come back and bite you in the ***** when you arn't paying attention. Which also left me in the hospital for a couple of days from driving into our house 4th gear pinned and through a window to land on a pool table. I just couldn't let off and I was panicing and dazed from hitting my head on the handlebars from landing right onto the sidewalk after clearing our street and ditch.

flaneledholes
05-11-2002, 11:36 AM
After my first ride the first thing i did was bought one, my thumb was too sore to go riding the next day. It brings me back to the 125 days:p

nakomis0
05-11-2002, 11:44 AM
I dirt bike and a quad are 2 different things. I have heard experianced dirt bikers say, a twist throttle on a quad was to weird for them. I had one and also didn't like it. Maybe you will, but them things are wierd, any little bump, or bump during a turn and your hitting the gas.

RedRage300ex
05-11-2002, 11:56 AM
well isnt that what would happen on a dirtbike? hit a bump and it would gas it? if they can handle it we can too! they are worth it

Nausty
05-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Well a dirt bike also had a LOT better suspension than a quad. And not only that I ride both a dirt bike and a quad and i have used twist throttles on both many times. I think it feels really awkward on a quad because the ergos and the differant style you need to ride when you got the bars next to your chest. I never have a problem with my thumb hurting or anything like that. I don't see why people always make a big deal about. I make full day rides and my thumb never bothers me:huh If you like a twist throttle and do better with it, Good for you. I absolutely hate them on a quad though and would only think about using one on a moto x track because I have more control of the throttle with the thumb throttle on a quad.

05-11-2002, 01:10 PM
It's supposed to be here early next week, so I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens:huh I have never ridden a quad with one but hopefully I like it:rolleyes:

DEAL
05-11-2002, 01:26 PM
I've ridden a 400ex with a twist throttle , it was certainly diffrent, something i probably could get used to eventually but I still prefer thumb throttles , i guess it really depends on how much dirtbike/motorcycle background you have.

05-11-2002, 02:25 PM
I defenatly prefere a twist throttle on a quad(at least a 400ex) to me, it add's fun to riding, and is more like a bike. I got used to mine pretty quick, and won't b going back with the thumb. good luck.

05-11-2002, 02:31 PM
Is anybody that has a twist happy with it and likes it better than a thumb? The last motocross bike I had was a 2000 CR250 and before that I had a 97 CR500 with an FMF fatty pipe and pro circuit silencer. Now if I could hang onto(barely) that beast even on the motocross track:eek: :eek: I hope I could handle the EX.

05-11-2002, 02:33 PM
wheeliedude I'm glad you like yours, I don't think it'll be to bad to get used to hopefully.

05-11-2002, 10:38 PM
anyone has a spare thumb throttle around i want to convert my bike back bad...... it was like this when i bought it

twisted threads
05-12-2002, 12:00 AM
I have a twist throttle on my R and I love it, at first it was weird but I love it now. My Ex has a thumb throttle on it because the wife don't like them and that is what she rides some times. I would put a twist on my Ex if it was not for that.

seven
05-12-2002, 09:06 AM
I have run a twist for about 5 years now and it makes those long trail rides a lot easier on your thumb. It will take you a bit to get used to it but its worth the effort. I run Pro quad on a mx track and everybody else runs thumb. They think im nuts but like you I was on a bike long before a quad.

05-12-2002, 11:50 AM
My buddy has a twist on his blaster and when i rode it, that was the first time i rode a quad with a twist and i think they suck. the reason i dont like them is because i think they are too touchy feeling you barely twist it and it goes and its hard to get used to. i would definately prefer a thumb then a twist its so much easier. but also i have never really rode dirtbikes that much so its harder for me. its just what you are used to and prefer easier.

Juggalo
05-12-2002, 02:52 PM
well i had a twist throttle on my lt, but a thumb on my 400 and what i say is this: it depends on the quad. on my lt i liked it. but there were a few times where it got me in trouble from something like a sudden violent jolt or landing weird (one time i was tooling around in some really tight trails and i hit this rock that i wasn't expceting and it made me nail the gas and i went flyin into this tree). but overall i liked it on my lt. on my 400 tho i wouldn't want one. any wuad that wheelies easy i wouldn't like one. plus now with all the jumping and freestyle i think it would get in the way.

on a dirtbike they work well because you barely turn the bars on a dirbike, most of the turning is down by leaning the bike left or right. on a quad you have to make hard right or left movements on the handlebars and with a twist throttle it makes it akward.

dads400ex
05-12-2002, 04:10 PM
I have had a twist on every atv or 4 wheeler I have had and did not hesitate to put one on my 400 when the oppurtunity came up! When I smashed my bars from a roll and put the new bars on, the twist went on also. I like them for the control they give me and no more sore thumb plus I like having my hand fully wrapped around the grip and not just holding on with my fingers.
But as others have said just pay attention with it when you first put it on because it does take some getting used to if you have not had one on a 4 wheeler before.

dads400ex

TRAIL
05-12-2002, 06:05 PM
i have twist throttle for my 400 forsale. new,never installed, but taken out of the pastic. i will sell it for 25.00 you pay shipping. it is a motion pro turbo.

05-12-2002, 09:15 PM
Trail that sounds good but I already ordered one, should be here Mon. or Tues. Maybe somebody else will want it.:)

By the way just for anyones information I installed a p-brake blockoff and CR perch and lever this weekend. Rode today and I love it, still has a nice pull and everything.

05-13-2002, 07:20 AM
I think the twist on the quad is to touchey my freinds have them and I dont like them. if your thumb is sore and that is the problem you could always buy those add on throttle things that make it so you use your whole hand instead of just your thumb.

PsychoDave
05-13-2002, 09:11 AM
like juggalo said....if you land weird you might get into trouble. Thats what happened to me.....after that i went back to the thumb throttle. just my .02

honda 400ex 69
06-11-2002, 02:25 PM
the guy i bought my 400ex had a motion pro twist throttle on and i hated it. well it was cool for the first couple weekends but after that i got sick of it always gasing and stuff. stick with thumb.

Teufel
06-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Personally I love the twist. I grew up on a bike but it does take some getting used to. One thing to remember is to always leave some free play in the throttle at closed position; approx. 1/4" This gives you some room to rock withoutgassing it. I think that it is a personal preference. I have seen guys that were faster with a twist and vise/versa. It depends on your particular riding style. Try it both ways and remember to give it a fair chance; one ride won't tell you.