PDA

View Full Version : Whats so great about aftermarket shocks?

chucked
03-27-2005, 09:23 AM
All I hear is, "They're great" or "they are the best upgrade" or "You got to get them" But no one has ever told me what they do better then stockers?

mx400
03-27-2005, 09:30 AM
practically no bump steer, lower COG for better handling, better rebound that stocker, better compression, and a very smooth feel. you don't get bounced around like on the stockers.

honda400ex68b
03-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by mx400
practically no bump steer, lower COG for better handling, better rebound that stocker, better compression, and a very smooth feel. you don't get bounced around like on the stockers.

what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and you can ride longer and faster.

TC426EX
03-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Umm, whats better about aftermarket shocks than stockers???

the simple answer is EVERYTHING.

Stock shocks are setup for light recreational riding and for the "average" body weight of 165 lbs. most of the time.

Aftermarket shocks have custom valving pistons and spring rates for your personal riding weight and style. They are multiple rate (double or triple) and have a certain spring correspond to each portion of wheel travel. This lets them handle better in every riding condition. Stock shocks are only single rate meaning that the main spring is the only spring regulating all of your wheel travel. So if you set them on the stiffest setting to help absorb landings from jumps, the rest of the ride is stiff when youre just cruising around. That is if youre not heavy enough to need it on the stiffest setting right off the bat like most people. On triple rates they can put a stiff bottom spring for G-outs, but you also have 2 small springs that keep the ride smooth through the small stuff. Plus aftermarket shocks have adjustable clickers on the canisters most of the time where you can custom adjust how stiff you want the compression (and rebound sometimes) for the type of riding you will be doing.

There is NOTHING a stock shock does better than aftermarket, and the difference is truly night and day. I can never ride with stock shocks again, even when the quad is brand new, and youll feel the same way.

The setup options are limitless with a good set of aftermarket shocks, enabling you to have a plush yet stable ride no matter what kind of conditions you are riding in. Problem is that most people either dont take the effort to set their shocks up right, or just dont have the know how. They basically keep them set how they get them from the factory and call it a day. Although theyre usually good at dialing the basic setup for you from the factory, youre really not getting the full value from your investment unless you take the time to learn some basics of shock setup to fine tune them perfectly for you and adjust when needed...

chucked
03-27-2005, 11:46 AM
wow, well I guess next on the list is some shocks

03-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by chucked
wow, well I guess next on the list is some shocks yes, shoulda been first...u can only go as fast as u can steer

mx400
03-27-2005, 05:22 PM
yea you will handle much much better with new shocks even if you are on stock arms

zfire_28
03-28-2005, 03:34 AM
IMHO aftermarket shocks will make you way faster than any amount of motor work ever will (unless all you do is drag race on pavement)...............