PDA

View Full Version : Should i just rebuild the shock?

Jake250r
03-26-2005, 03:23 PM
I am looking to get new front Elka (triple rate no res until i get some money) and i've seen other people talk about having elka or someplace rebuild their shock, are they talking their Stock shock or a used elka? either way, should i have someone rebuild mine or just out the money?? (btw, i love to jump and i've only been able to clear a 25' table as is, so thats the reason.) my rear shock sags too much right now and the nitrogen psi is way to low. i know i can fix the sag by adjusting, and i could get the nitrogen refilled, but i'm afraid it will just leak. What should i do? lmk.:ermm: just so you all see it here's my R....

Kilabanshee
03-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Elka tripple rate fronts w/o rezzies and an elka dual rate rear shock rebuild

beak7707
03-26-2005, 04:25 PM
The rear stock rebuilds are a nice improvement over stock, but not to great overall. They are kinda pricey also, i think they are like 350 for the Elka rebuild. For that kind of money I would look around on here and ebay for a used aftermarket shock.

yamablaster24
03-26-2005, 05:15 PM
I could rebuilt your stock R shock for you for 30 bucks and it will come with 250 PSI of nitrogen

Jake250r
03-26-2005, 05:42 PM
yeah that would be great. i dont have much $ layin around so i could do that. lmk about the details and i'll have you do it. i figure even if i get a new rear shock later on i could always sell the stock and it would need rebuilt then so, fine with me. Thanks!

pismoracer
03-26-2005, 05:48 PM
whats the turn around time on those shocks? dayum thats cheap!!!!

Jake250r
03-26-2005, 05:52 PM
yeah thats what i was wanting to know, cuz man i'll go pull mine off now and ship it if it can get back soon. (the weather, altho not this week, is gonna be good. gotta ride.)

yamablaster24
03-26-2005, 06:30 PM
it only takes a night to take shocks apart and put new shock oil on, let the oil sit overnight and get all of the air out, next day get them together get them charged with nitrogen. Try the shock out and send it back out. im not a buisness, a friend of mine who races Baja ( has won the baja 1000 multiple times, broken world records) he has helped doug roll and laeger be where they are now.....anywho he taught me how to do suspension work and i have done some friends shocks, (banshee, quadzilla, blaster works, 400ex rear shocks,250r rear shocks) and figured i would share the service to the site, heck my sponsor was going to charge me 100 for basic shock rebuld on my shocks before I knew shocks 101 and learned how to rebuild them.It isnt hard at all you just have to have the right tools, the experience, shock oil ( i use amsoil) and a Nitrogen bottle.

baker250r
03-28-2005, 08:58 PM
do you do ohlins?