PDA

View Full Version : elka rebuilt stock rear shock

zlam27
03-26-2005, 12:35 PM
i just saw someone selling a stock rear 400ex shock that was rebuilt by elka with dual rate springs. that just got me wondering... anyone ever had this done and how well did you like it/did it work.

i was also curious as to how much it would cost to have them rebuild the shock and put dual rate springs on it.

also, C&D quoted me $100 to replace the rear spring with an eibach spring that is matched to my weight. does eibach make a good quality spring? will this make a big difference?

thanks guys,
zach

bradley300
03-26-2005, 12:40 PM
eibach makes good springs, and you can install it yourself. you just need c&d to fiqure out which spring you need

the elka rear re-build is way better than just a re-spring tho. its set up for your weight and riding style, its also a ssd which will lower your quad about an inch and a half for a lower center of gravity. the rebuild used to run 325, but i havent checked latley. its worth every penny tho

Florida400EX
03-26-2005, 03:09 PM
The elka rear rebuild isn't near as good as other stock shock rebuilds like PEP, derisi, or gt thunder.. etc... check into derisi, his prices are pretty much the same as the elka, only you're getting a way better shock.

beak7707
03-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I wasnt really happy with my elka rear rebuild either. I would look into a GT thunder revalve and link if I were you. I got it for my 450r for $250, that over $100 cheaper than the elka and you get a link and better shock.

2000400EX
03-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Why weren't you happy with the Elka rebuild? What did it do/not do that you didn't like? What type of riding do you do? I'm thinking about getting the Elka coversion on my stock rear shock, but after reading posts like these it makes me second guess what I wanna do. I only ride trails/woods, would the Elka conversion work well for me?

ajr400ex
03-28-2005, 08:46 AM
I was not happy at all with the Elka rear rebuild either on the 400ex. Only good thing is it lowered the ride height. I ended up buying an Elka rear shock which was much better. Nothing wrong with Elka, just that particular rebuild is not that great of a setup. I would recommend a call to GT Thunder. I am very happy with their work on the 450r.

Dave400ex
03-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I have the Elka rebuild, and as it is better then stock, I do think it could be much better. I personally think getting the GT Thunder setup with the linkage would be the best, or getting a full aftermarket shock. I am saving now to send all my shocks out to be re-setup by either DeRisi or Precision Concepts, so we will see what they do with the rear.

yamablaster24
03-28-2005, 03:37 PM
I absoultely love my TCS rebuild on the rear shock. It sits 3 inches lower then my stock 400ex with the ZPS although i have done other stuff to make it sit lower yet the frame doesnt bottom out. TCs does a great job and they work awesome with my TCS ZPS triple rates in front