PDA

View Full Version : Starting with nothing but a frame????

stever250r
03-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Hey all, I am wanting to build me a 250r and cant seem to find a rolling chassis anywhere. I found a nice walsh frame for 600.00 but I dont have anything else at all. Is it a possible task to start with nothing but a frame and actually find everything you need to build it up? Im just a little intimidated.....can anyone give me some advice on where to start? Should I hold out and wait for a bike that has the basics?

JDiablo
03-26-2005, 08:39 AM
nowadays with all the 250r parts all over,i would say YES and a walsh frame for 600 dollars is awesome

roostin_dale
03-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Buy the frame! Thats a deal. You will be able to find everything else no problem, either on ebay or right here..

stever250r
03-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Said there was only a few of these built. Looks solid. What do you all think??

JDiablo
03-26-2005, 09:01 AM
looks good to me the wait on walsh stuff now is over a year

robyone
03-26-2005, 10:04 AM
yes you can build one from the ground up, but it makes it easier if you pick up a cheap complete R for all the little nuts and bolts cause buying all new OEM hardware can get expensive. your frame is a stock 86 that has been modified, possibly by walsh cause the adjustable front shock mounts are walsh design. who ever put that together knew what they were doing by the look of it. you'll need a 86 style swingarm for that frame or you will have to modify it to accept the 88, 89 style.

stever250r
03-26-2005, 10:55 AM
You are exactly right robyone. It is a stock 86-87 model frame modified by walsh. The owner says the motor mounts have already been set up to use an 88-89 style swingarm. Also set up to use a DC-2 no link suspension. I have no idea what that is. Will I still be able to use a standard rear suspension setup or will it have to be a no link system. What exactly will the adjustale front suspension mounts do for me?

All the little, bolts, nuts brackets etc... is exactly what Im worried about. I have a Fastenal distibutor just down the road from me. I should be able to get most of the compatible hdwr there, but im not sure.

JDiablo
03-26-2005, 11:05 AM
the front adjustment is just for ride height adjustment instead of doing it on the shocks

zedicus00
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM
no link stuff is still fairly easy to find for the rear end. DC-4 is a lonestar version but any no link set up is compatible. also that frame does not hav the rear crossbar added in like it should if it was actually converted to the 88-89 style swinger. not a big deal just sumthing to not. you would technically be able to use any year swinger like it is but with the later year u would loose one set of motor mounts... as far as bolts and brackets. grab a bolt kit off ebay, a lot of places sell aftermarket stainless swinger bolts, the graumets are cheep, and anything else u need can usually be had at local hardware stores. i say grab that frame an go from there

Cody_300ex
03-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by stever250r
You are exactly right robyone. It is a stock 86-87 model frame modified by walsh. The owner says the motor mounts have already been set up to use an 88-89 style swingarm. Also set up to use a DC-2 no link suspension. I have no idea what that is. Will I still be able to use a standard rear suspension setup or will it have to be a no link system. What exactly will the adjustale front suspension mounts do for me?

All the little, bolts, nuts brackets etc... is exactly what Im worried about. I have a Fastenal distibutor just down the road from me. I should be able to get most of the compatible hdwr there, but im not sure.

There is a guy on ebay that sell SS bolt kits for quads. Not sure if sells one for the 250 tho.

JDiablo
03-26-2005, 11:12 AM
theres one guy on there that sells everything for like every quad

pismoracer
03-26-2005, 12:18 PM
ebay dude! you can find just about everything you need on ebay!

I got some elka shocks that would look sweet on that! o and a full ESR ignition system too!

O and a TRX 5 esr pipe as well.

stever250r
03-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Im a long way from needing shocks. I will have a budget of around 700.00 a month to build the quad. Might take me a while but it will be built the way I want it. Thats whats nice about it. I emailed the guy who is selling the frame. I think Im going to take the plunge and see what happens. Will be using this forum frequently for help im sure. Thanks

wvspeedfreak
03-26-2005, 01:50 PM
I say go for it.I love those kind of projects,like you said you can build it exactly like you want it.

outlaw#9
03-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey ! that frame looks like the one mike docked up for my buddie!

I know the shock mounts are adustable but check to make shure before you buy stock lenght ones ...my buddie had to use longer ones on his i belive ????

Eddiesanders250
03-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by pismoracer
ebay dude! you can find just about everything you need on ebay!

I got some elka shocks that would look sweet on that! o and a full ESR ignition system too!

O and a TRX 5 esr pipe as well.

you say you have a trx 5 pipe?? how much

Rich250RRacer
03-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00
no link stuff is still fairly easy to find for the rear end. DC-4 is a lonestar version but any no link set up is compatible. also that frame does not hav the rear crossbar added in like it should if it was actually converted to the 88-89 style swinger. not a big deal just sumthing to not. you would technically be able to use any year swinger like it is but with the later year u would loose one set of motor mounts... as far as bolts and brackets. grab a bolt kit off ebay, a lot of places sell aftermarket stainless swinger bolts, the graumets are cheep, and anything else u need can usually be had at local hardware stores. i say grab that frame an go from there

The rear crossbar isn't needed, my Lonestar chassis don't have them, and they're set up from Lonestar to run 88-89 components. It looks like there is a rear lower mount there, so that's all you should need.

stever250r
03-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks,

Is there any other components that are year specific that I should look out for? I cant think of anyhthing but the spindles and hub. Is this correct??

pismoracer
03-26-2005, 06:32 PM
289 to your door on the pipe and silencer.

pismoracer
03-26-2005, 06:33 PM
289 to your door on the pipe and silencer. eddie

zedicus00
03-26-2005, 06:59 PM
theres stuff that is different per year but not necesarily year specific. trannys are diferent, piston and rod from 85-86 is different then the later years, a-arms hav a different dimension from 86-86 to 88 89, 89 clutch is the only way to go, i can get you the part number for the kit if when you need it, 89 stator and cdi is the best, 88 complete engine has most stock horse power.

TheFontMaster
03-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Building it piece by piece like that is a challenge. I should know I am in the proces of building a 250r like that. I been working on it since november, and it should be done end of april or may. All the little stuff can be harder to find, but just find someone that is in the early stages of parting out an R and you can get all the little stuff from him. There is usualy about 4 people on this site at a time that are parting out whole 250r's and many more selling parts. Deffinatley get a stainless bolt kit off ebay. I got mine for 90 dollars shipped, and it's alot easyer and looks better than finding used bolts, or buying new OEM ones. It will be a challenge to build this and do it right, but thats part of the fun. I know that when I'm done I will have tremendous pride in my 250r that I built. And just about everything on my quad will be ether aftermarket, and if it is stock, I have done something to it to make it look perfect. Spend some time on the little details, and it will turn out better than you could ever imagine.

stever250r
03-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Great. I cant wait to get started on mine. I have emailed the guy and told him I want the frame but have still not heard back from him. I seem to be getting that quite often. People advertising stuff for sale but never getting back to you when you tell them you want it. Gets to be quite discouraging!

What xolors did you go with ? Do you have any pictures you want to share?

TheFontMaster
03-26-2005, 07:51 PM
What xolors did you go with ? Do you have any pictures you want to share?

Yea I got a bunch. I'll post most of them so you can see how it's come along since the begining.

TheFontMaster
03-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Heres the motor when I got it, bfore any polishing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/9db67ccb.jpg
After side case had a little polishing, and the kick starter, both are polished better now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture069.jpg
The silencer I polished and looks sick, it isn't polished in this pic, and the other part of the pipe needs lots of work.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/f3939025.jpg
Works shocks before the rezzies got polished, and the springs will be P/C
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture075.jpg
Chrome +2 a arms
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture074.jpg
Heres a good one of one of the gussets, the polished swingarm, and the frame color.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture082.jpg

TheFontMaster
03-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Spindles and hubs. That gold color is sick.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture097.jpg
Heres one with the motor in the frame before the cases or the motor mounts were painted.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture091.jpg
Spindles and part of the linkage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture086.jpg
And heres the motor on the frame painted, with the carb and pipe hooked up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/thefontmaster/Picture099.jpg

Thats all I got for now. I bolted up the shocks, and a arms today, I'll get pics of that tomorow. If you have any questions along the way feel free to ask me, if you have AIM me screen name is in my sig. Hope you enjoy and good luck on your project.

stever250r
03-26-2005, 08:18 PM
LOOKS GREAT!!!! I'll be sure to take in-process pictures of mine also. Thanks for sharing and Im sure you will hear from me again.

Thanks again

TheFontMaster
03-26-2005, 08:22 PM
LOOKS GREAT!!!! I'll be sure to take in-process pictures of mine also. Thanks for sharing and Im sure you will hear from me again.

Thanks again

Thank's

No prob, I love showing off my work. I forgot to add that all the painting and polishing and gusseting I did myself.

250R-Dee
03-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Most of the parts for my project have come from Ebay and I live in Japan.

'86 frame with rear mounts added so an '88-'89 swinger can be used. I'm looking for an after market frame since my current frame was abused by the previous owners.

JTRtrx250r
03-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Its not hard to build 1 from the ground up starting w/ just a frame..if you can buy up on the deals.

The biggest prob w/ bolts would be the linkage bolts w/ the zerk...otherwise you can pick em up at any hardwear store and spend about 1/2 of what OEM would cost ya anyway

Its some of the smaller parts like radiator brackets and tanks mounts(suppose you could make your own if nothing else) and things like the petcock, you could build 1 from in parts just from this site and the other R sites alone

I took my time (pretty much didnt have a choice haha) and have my 2nd R built for under $500:eek2: ...altho it wouldnt have been that way w/o the help of some killer bros Ive met on these sites..a few donated a few parts just to help, saved me about $200 (Thanks again dudes....you know who you are!!!:cool: :D )

If I have any parts to help....I will;) Good Luck Stever!

wvspeedfreak
03-27-2005, 07:49 AM
Here are a couple pics of my work in progress...

wvspeedfreak
03-27-2005, 07:50 AM
The frame is redvien and the a-arms are gunmetal...

250R-Dee
03-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Did pappy powdercoat the frame and A-Arms ? LOOKS GOOD!!

stever250r
03-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Those look nice. I think I am going to keep the blue frame since it is fresh powder and go with chrome burgard a-arms,swinger,and stem. (Not sure though because I hear powder holds up much longer).Douglas chrome beadlocks, and top it off with some orange racecut fullbore plastics. Just what Im thinking of right now. Not sure what length a-arms to get. My last R had +2 but I was thinking of +3. What do you all think? What exactly does the offset on the front rims do for you? What should I go with there?

QuadRacer041
03-27-2005, 09:40 AM
steve, you know thats not a real walsh frame right?its a stock frame that walsh put gusset's on.just want to make sure you know that.

stever250r
03-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Yes, I do know that. Still thought 600.00 was a good deal on a stock frame modified by Walsh with fresh powdercoat. Looks to be solid. Thanks for the info though.

QuadRacer041
03-27-2005, 10:00 AM
yea it is a great deal