PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler ?

ky300ex
03-25-2005, 10:32 PM
When installing a oil cooler, do you fill the cooler up with oil ? Also if you are supposed to put oil in the cooler, do you still add 1.69 quarts of oil to the motor ?

dork
03-25-2005, 11:11 PM
on my 300 with the fst cooler, i put the cooler on the bike and ran the lines, and then before attatching the lines to the motor i filled them with oil. it takes a bit to fill up the cooler. then just add your normal amount, run it and recheck the level. i think mine took almost 2.5 quarts with the cooler, but check it.

fastkid400
03-26-2005, 07:07 AM
yeah, right before you hook em up, try to fill them the best you can. Have the regular amount of oil in the motor,(as normal) start it, let it run at idle for a few minutes, then check the motor oil level, should be alright!

HondaR
03-26-2005, 02:47 PM
hey where do you get the oil filter cover with the oil cooler lines for a 300ex?? and how much do they run i already have the oil cooler just need the piece to change out to run the lines? any help would be great thanx

dork
03-27-2005, 06:58 PM
you don't need that cover. just run one end where the stock oil line attatches at the clutch cover and the other end to the head where the stock line bolts up. this way is more effective at cooling the head and rockers, which is where the motor needs it.

HondaR
03-27-2005, 07:24 PM
so do i just take the bolt that i take out to the auto parts store and have them match up a fitting to screw in there to hook the line up to .?? also is it going to flow good like that? and do you happen to have a picture of this setup? thanx

dork
03-28-2005, 12:55 AM
the easiest way is to cut the stock oil line up top a few inches before it bolts to the head. then flip the short piece around so it points forward. then just hook up the cooler lines to them, it doesn't matter which. a tubing cutter works nice for this, just deburr the inside after. this is the way FST recommends hooking up with their cooler kits. it works good.