PDA

View Full Version : Private land legal questions. help

440's necessary
03-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I have a friend who has 40 acres. It's partially wooded, 20 acres, woods, and the back 10 acres is our track. It is totally surrounded by farm land. You can only see 1 house 1/3 mile away. The township is trying to stop us from riding there. The attorney for the township says it is not zoned for commercial uses.

My questions:

What are the laws?
who can I contact in Wisconsin for some help?

89'350RX
03-26-2005, 05:22 AM
Just riding? or are you trying to develop a track for the public to use (Business)?

If it is just you and your friends, you can do what you want. I would write the Attorney back and tell him that you are cultivating the land ;) for next years crop.

I have a freind with 80 near Madison and we also have a track that is hidden from the road and we ride there all the time.

440's necessary
03-26-2005, 12:59 PM
yup, just riding. The township has organized a meeting a week from Monday to discuss our situation. Open forum town hall meeting.

Does anyone have any ordinance numbers? I am gonna need resources when we go.

jonc623
03-26-2005, 02:42 PM
call a lawyer

jman71890
03-26-2005, 06:57 PM
if it your land i dont think they can do anything about it

450 Racer R
03-26-2005, 09:22 PM
yup, can't do a thing. I wouldn't even attend the meeting. They can't call the cops on you for riding there. the police can't kick you out, unless directed by the land owner. They can't even patrol or keep you from being there.

see if you can't get in contact with a lawyer though and find out your rights.

89'350RX
03-27-2005, 07:40 AM
I would write a letter to the town board for them that night.

Simply put, just explain that the land is yours and that you are entitled to use it. Make sure that you stipulate that it is for PRIVATE use only.

smr
03-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by jman71890
if it your land i dont think they can do anything about it

Be careful when you seek legal advice on the internet. I own 40 acrs in ky and I've had the cops show up on my land before. If you are disturbing the peice it doesn't matter if you own 1,000 acrs. The best advice you could get is. Make sure nobody is running a really load pipe and if they are having a meeting you need to be there. When it comes to noise level YES they can stop you from riding. I live 7 miles from the nearest town and I have had problems. Luckly they just ask us to hold the noise down.

Good luck