PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this.

chucked
03-25-2005, 05:59 PM
http://wjz.com/localstories/local_story_079160136.html

I knew the guy. He definately wasnt going to win the nobel prize in this lifetime, or the next million lifetimes, but that's beside the point. Is it OK to shoot someone thats using a pipe as a weapon?

YFZ450Ridr
03-25-2005, 06:22 PM
officers are the law and if you dont listen to them and there is a possibility for them to get hurt i guess then can shoot them:ermm:

FasstMidnightZ
03-25-2005, 06:29 PM
ya i know if u do pull a gun out in front of them and dont drop it they can shoot , but a pipe :huh

bulkdriverlp
03-25-2005, 09:41 PM
if a police officer is in fear of bodily harm or his life he has all the rights to shoot. just like if you get charged by a dog, if you feel in fear of your life, shoot the damn dog and kill it, its legal in this state

chucked
03-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
if a police officer is in fear of bodily harm or his life he has all the rights to shoot. just like if you get charged by a dog, if you feel in fear of your life, shoot the damn dog and kill it, its legal in this state Uh, its not a dog, its a person. But what if I feel like Im in fear of bodily harm, I can shoot them?

400exrules
03-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Uh, its not a dog, its a person. But what if I feel like Im in fear of bodily harm, I can shoot them?

ive heard that if your threatened with a weapon or wutever u can shoot

chucked
03-25-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
ive heard that if your threatened with a weapon or wutever u can shoot Im pretty sure its not that easy,

bulkdriverlp
03-25-2005, 10:59 PM
i know its not a dog!!! if you are not a police officer you need to prove in court that you were threatened with your life.

SGA
03-25-2005, 11:24 PM
A metal pipe is a deadly weapon. One hit in the head with it and its goodby. I am a bit surprised the policeman didnt use a non lethal weapon first such as a tazer, well I mean that kind that shoots out a wire. Maybe he didnt have one with him?

Add on: I just found this follow up story. The guy was drunk or high and was going for the officer with a lead pipe. He was 7 to 10 feet away from from him when he shot.

Quote from the story: "McGilton ignored the officer's orders to drop the pipe and continued approaching, Toohey said, adding that the officer shot McGilton when he was 7 to 10 feet away."

I dont think the officer had much of a choice.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.shooting22mar22,1,1942094.story?coll=bal-local-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

Doober
03-26-2005, 01:15 AM
mace him or hit him with them clubs they have...

trick450r
03-26-2005, 06:44 AM
i would have shot the crap out of him too....in Ct if someone comes on your property with a weapon you can kill them...

chucked
03-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by SGA
A metal pipe is a deadly weapon. One hit in the head with it and its goodby. I am a bit surprised the policeman didnt use a non lethal weapon first such as a tazer, well I mean that kind that shoots out a wire. Maybe he didnt have one with him?

Add on: I just found this follow up story. The guy was drunk or high and was going for the officer with a lead pipe. He was 7 to 10 feet away from from him when he shot.

Quote from the story: "McGilton ignored the officer's orders to drop the pipe and continued approaching, Toohey said, adding that the officer shot McGilton when he was 7 to 10 feet away."

I dont think the officer had much of a choice.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-md.shooting22mar22,1,1942094.story?coll=bal-local-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

well i knew the guy, and I can safely say the cop did the world a favor.

bansheeguy77
03-26-2005, 08:12 AM
well said sga. if he had no weapon then no shooting was wrong, but have you ever been hit with a pipe? they can do some damage so the officer did the right thing. a drunk, and high guy with a deadly weapon....theres not much of a choice as to what to do there. and im sure he didnt want to kill the man so he must not have had a tazer with him. and as for mace thats a long shot trying to hit him with that without him getting to close to swing. plus that would have pissed him off worse and he can still hit you. hell if he was on meth he probably wouldnt have even been phased by the mace.

WEEZIL
03-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Better him than me.

gojk
03-26-2005, 11:57 AM
One less idiot in the world. I don't blame the cop. Also cops are trained to shot to kill, they are not trained to shoot and hurt someone. So if you think they are going to just wound you, you are wrong.

SGA
03-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by gojk
One less idiot in the world. I don't blame the cop. Also cops are trained to shot to kill, they are not trained to shoot and hurt someone. So if you think they are going to just wound you, you are wrong.
I wondered about that. I suppose the cop could have shot him in the shoulder or leg to stop him and many cops have done so on purpose to spare a life. I really doubt there are many cops out there that would really want to kill someone.

But times have changed. Lets say the cop wounded him on purpose to spare his life. The guy would have likely sued the cop and the police dept for millions and from what I have seen in the news probably would have won.

Its a shame today when a cop knows that when he shoots, he must to shoot to kill or he can be sued and loose his job for doing the right thing. ( Sparing a life )

Scott-300ex
03-26-2005, 03:17 PM
same thing almost happened to me

in school some kid was holding an eraser, and he was really close

i almost shot him

Doober
03-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

i almost shot him

hahahaha

chucked
03-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

i almost shot him

Yea, well this is kinda my point,

250R-Dee
03-27-2005, 08:28 AM
The problem is ... we weren't there to see exactly what happened. Personally I would fired a disabling shot in one of his limbs.

The policeman most likely shot him in the chest and McGilton was likely charging or approaching the officer.

Sorry to say this but most policeman do not have good marksmanship so they usually drop several rounds into an assailant just to "stop" him/her.

chucked
03-27-2005, 08:53 AM
I just found out from a buddy of mine, cops were really there looking for his brother, he is wanted on felony assault.

Aceman
03-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by SGA
I wondered about that. I suppose the cop could have shot him in the shoulder or leg to stop him and many cops have done so on purpose to spare a life. I really doubt there are many cops out there that would really want to kill someone.

But times have changed. Lets say the cop wounded him on purpose to spare his life. The guy would have likely sued the cop and the police dept for millions and from what I have seen in the news probably would have won.

Its a shame today when a cop knows that when he shoots, he must to shoot to kill or he can be sued and loose his job for doing the right thing. ( Sparing a life )

^^^^That's exactly it. If you shoot, you better shoot to kill and not just to wing the person. Unless you want to be sued for millions and lose everything. It's sad knowing anytime an officers gun is going off it's most likely a kill shot. I mean, what choice do you have, you will get harassed by townfolk for killing somebody coming at you with a weapon such as a pipe or bat while you were carrying a gun or the alternative is you wing him to slow him down and save his life but then get taken to court by him wanting millions of dollars for damages. It's sounds to me like officers should be carrying a taser or mace on them to prevent shootings like this. Like stated above if he was tasered or maced he probably would of stopped but if the cop thought that wasn't enough to stop him I would of shot him too.