PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaking from head gasket?

BLEEDRED
03-25-2005, 05:26 PM
I just set up my top end on my 440 and on the initial run I had oil leaking out of the head gasket on the timing chain tunnel side. I just tore the whole thing apart and put in HD head studs and also had inserts put in the jug where the three long head cover bolts bolt in on the timing chain tunnel side. I was very careful with cleaning everything and am certain that the mating surfaces were very clean. I used a .027" Cometic flex steel head gasket. I was very careful to make sure all of my torque settings were right on the head studs and nuts also on the head cover bolts. I was a little weary on torqueing the head cover bolts but I set them all at 7 ft. pounds. I also dipped the threads in oil before I toruqed them. After the inital run I checked for leaks and sure enough there was oil running down the outside of the jug right in the middle of jug on the timing chain side. Maybe I need to put more torque on the long head cover bolts that bolt into the jug? I'm not sure where to go from here. :confused: Thanks in advance.

cals400ex
03-26-2005, 01:08 AM
i am a little confused where it is leaking? headgasket or valve cover gasket? it might also be possible that you leak out of the allen head screws in the valve cover.

BLEEDRED
03-26-2005, 05:28 AM
It's is leaking from the head gasket on the timing chain side or right side. I speak of the head cover bolts becuase on the right side there are three long head cover botls that bolt through the head cover and head into the jug. Those three bolts are what hold the head gasket tight on right side around the timing chain tunnel.

cals400ex
03-26-2005, 10:26 AM
if your having head gasket problems, i would think the problem lies in the surfaces, head studs, or improperly torqued head stud caps. just a guess though...

jonc623
03-26-2005, 02:30 PM
try to tighten the 3 bolts a little more head studs should have nothing to do with where you are talking about be carefull those little boltsstrip easy

BLEEDRED
03-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I think my jug or head is warped...I'm tearing it down again.

BLEEDRED
03-28-2005, 05:51 AM
Had it torn down to the cases in 50 min. Not sure what is going on, but I'm sending it back to the machine shop today. I'll keep you updated.