PDA

View Full Version : All about ATV Shocks

markk
03-25-2005, 02:02 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find information about shocks, how they work, what makes them work, and how do u determine what setup will work best for your own machine.
I understand that its all a bunch of math, But i want to learn about it, and Learn how my shocks are working, to see what I can do to make them work better for me.

Any websight/books/programs any help would be great!
thanks
markk

ReconRider25
03-25-2005, 02:47 PM
i dont know a whole lot, but i know that the spring adjust how stiff the suspension is, for how firm or soft, and the actual absorber is what makes the rate of the shock compress/rebound. kinda like a blown shock that has no pressure to it will buck like a bronco because the spring has nothing controlling it as to the rate it returns. i believe the dual and triple rate for the springs is that they have a softer spring, followed by one that is a little stiffer, and then the stiffest, so as it compresses it gradually gets stiffer so it wont bottom out on hard hits, but still be plush for slow speeds. with the compression adjustment, affects how easily you can compress the shock, or how fast it will compress, and the rebond is the same but for the rate at which it returns. hope i was some form of help.:confused: heres a link to a page on how to adjust the shock for your riding.http://off-road.com/atv/suspension/shockadj.htm

TBD
03-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Check out www.racetech.com. Paul Thede(owner) gives seminars. I've been to them myself. In my opinion, his knowledge of hydraulic engineering is incredible. His seminar is by far the best I have ever taken.

markk
03-25-2005, 08:41 PM
thanks guys, Im wanting to know enuf to tear my own shocks down and order the parts that i need, and rebuild them myself when they need it. Everything from adjusting them, (i pretty well understand) to completly rebuilding them.