PDA

View Full Version : Removing stock axle nut

FoxRacing81
03-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Well I cranked on mine so hard last night all I did was turn the motor over. This ***** won't come loose! It is reverse threads correct? So it would be like tightening a regular thread? I am pretty sure of that I just have.

Anyway, the nut didn't even move the slightest bit. Not even a like a quarter of a millimeter. This thing is on there tight!

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this sucker off, let me know.

I don't get this. I just tighten my axle nut with no loctite or nothing and it stays on fine. But for my wheel hubs I used red loctite all over the threads and the thickest cotter pins I could find that would fit (there about the width of a pencil) and my wheel hubs still manage to come loose some how. I don't get it.

-Mx

duke416ex
03-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Loosen that locknut off the main nut first. If you are trying to the one that is wiger and a smaller nut that fits against the snap ring, it is hard to do without loosening that lock nut. Spray the crap out of it with wd-40 too that might help. Just chase your threads to make sure you are turning it the right way.

FoxRacing81
03-25-2005, 07:30 AM
the locknut is the one Im trying to loosen. The skinny one. It won't budge at all. I sprayed iot with some PB Blaster last night, maybe it helped.

-Mx

Rich250RRacer
03-25-2005, 03:17 PM
They are left-handed threads, so if you're looking at it from the caliper side of the quad, you'll want to turn it counter-clockwise.

HondaR
03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
the skinny one goes the opposite way as the lock nut...i believe down ...then you screw back the the locknut the opposite way then pull out the snap ring anyways the skinny one goes 1 way and the lock nut goes the opposite they both don't loosen the same way i use a pipe wrench and big crescent wrench ...and had to use a cheater pipe

400EXracer74
03-31-2005, 02:27 PM
get 2 people and a big wrench. have one person sit on the 4 wheeler and hold all the breaks with it in gear and throw all your weight into it. it will come. thats what i had to do with mine.