PDA

View Full Version : Shaved Headers?

05-10-2002, 10:49 AM
What do they mean about stock shaved headers?

Sparkles
05-10-2002, 10:53 AM
grinding the welds out ?

ChadEXer
05-10-2002, 11:01 AM
Yeah that would mean grinding the welds out of the inside of the headpipe!!

BornOnFire
05-10-2002, 11:06 AM
If you remove the headers that are attached to the block and look inside the header's flange, you will see that the factory weld that connects the actual exhaust pipe to the flange has a bead of metal that is not flush with the inside diameter of the actual pipe itself. It is about a quarter of an inch higher than the rest of the pipe all the way around the inside diameter. By grinding these welds down, you are, in theory, increasing the effective opening of the exhaust pipe, therefore, allowing more air to leave the the engine without any restrictions. For the amount of work required to do it, it may increase performance somewhat....

Hope that explains it!

05-10-2002, 12:19 PM
Have any of you done it, is it worth it, how do i go about doing it step by step, what kinda tools will i need?:huh

Woodsrider
05-10-2002, 04:50 PM
Yes many have done it. Some notice more of an increase than others. I think it may have to do with howmany mods you already have as to what gains you will notice. If your bike is basicly stock, you will notice more of an increase.

You will need a dremil or similar type grinder. Remove the header, grind the welds down flush and smooth, and reinstall.

05-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Im thinking about doing this also to my header, and i was wondering over time, would it be less reliable

DESDAK4
05-10-2002, 08:19 PM
I did this and put on the E-series and my buddy put on the DMC Alien and other than that our bikes were the same and I could beat him si I figure I saved some 200 bones for 10 min and the same result.

05-11-2002, 06:22 AM
I have heard many good things about it.

My friend and i Have the exact same mods(We wanna have everyone be like you guys are twins.) No but we have the same stuff except he grinded out teh welds and he can beat me. It deff. makes a difference. I not sure how much but it does a lil.

SUPERFLY 400
05-11-2002, 12:15 PM
I noticed a little more power in the low end range. Just a pain to grind out those welds. I went through 2 burr bits then i polished the inside with a 80 grit sand paper flapper wheel. I aslo had a problem getting one of the exhast clamp off the engine (clamp was bent). Get your self some new exhaust gaskets also. good luck on the grinding:D

zuLi0
05-30-2002, 08:48 PM
ok so grinding welds helps out in low end, but does it do anything for the mid range? or top end?

carbonfiber440
06-02-2002, 12:51 PM
after i shaved my head pipes, i noticed a gain throught out the power band with a lil more bottem, but the torque caried throghout the rpm's.