PDA

View Full Version : big, stupid, question....about axle nuts

yellow_ho_01
05-10-2002, 09:52 AM
now corect me if im wrong,.. but on the rear axle the axle nut(x2) are suposed to "lock" togather, right,. this means the the big nut is turned in, and then the smaller nut is tightened against it right? well, for some reason the people that had my 400ex have the small nut tightened against the BRAKE ROTOR!!! i just want to make sure sure that there isnt some stupid little trick out there where people are putting the "locking nut" against the rotor for some reason, or if the people that had this 400 just didnt know what they were doing!!! HELP

RdingManiac420
05-13-2002, 02:52 PM
I can tell you that both nuts are suppost to me as tight as possible to the right, ayway from the brake rotor. Oh and when adjusting them keep in mind they are reverse threads.

MichaelS693
05-15-2002, 05:37 PM
mine wont come off???? like the inner nut i loosened and it is all the way to the outer and i cant get the outer off

05-16-2002, 07:42 AM
the axle nut does not loosen by turning it toward the outer part of the axle. You turn the nuts toward the swingarm,,so you can see the clip on the axle,,once you remove the clip on the axle you can slide the axlenut off the axle.. The nuts do go down to loosen then screw the axle nut toward the swingarm as far as you can to expose the clip...am I making sense??

RdingManiac420
05-16-2002, 02:34 PM
Also they are reversed threads

yellow_ho_01
05-17-2002, 09:35 AM
so then why would this guy that HAD my quad have had the inner nut all the way against the brake, .... and another ? ... what is the big deal of "lock nuts" and "anti-fade" nuts if all it does is hold in the clip....???

MichaelS693
05-17-2002, 10:11 AM
yeah but where is the clip man i have everything off my axle all i gotta do is get those nuts off and i can slide it out anyway where is the clip and i cant even get the outer nut to BUDGE AGH!

Razorback
05-17-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by yellow_ho_01
so then why would this guy that HAD my quad have had the inner nut all the way against the brake, .... and another ? ... what is the big deal of "lock nuts" and "anti-fade" nuts if all it does is hold in the clip....???

the guy obviously had it set incorrectly before. the lock nut holds the brake rotor against the swingarm/bearing carrier and keeps it tight and true. if this is not done correctly, your axle will be loose, causing junk to get in the bearing carrier (which will eventually ruin the bearings) and the rotor will likely wabble around and wear out the brake pads prematurely, and would probably eventually warp the rotor. the lock nut doesn't hold in the clip, the clip is the stopping point to ensure the rotor is good and tight if the lock nuts are tightened correctly.

i'm not real familiar with the anti-fade nuts, but i think they actually include a hub for the rotor integrated with a lock nut. the claim is that the anti-fade nut will dissipate heat better, so the brakes won't get so hot, which will eventually cause the brakes to get soft or fade during a long/fast ride. if i remember correctly, gabe (86atc250r) said a while back that he's never experienced fading brakes like that, and he races xc/harescrambles, and i trust his opinion. (gabe - i hope i'm correct quoting you on this)