PDA

View Full Version : How to build mx track

Rhino
05-10-2002, 01:26 AM
Does any one know where I can get some info on building a mx track(book,magazine, website,etc.). I have got about 5 acres to play with and I have a good idea of what I want and what I need to do, but any information on this would be helpful.

NateLHonda
05-10-2002, 05:15 AM
there is some info on how to build a track in the April 2002 ATV Sport on page 93-95

05-10-2002, 04:40 PM
I built one. What do u want to know.

400exBro
05-10-2002, 07:52 PM
1. Do not dig out in front of the jumps it will slow you down a lot as of riding time, it will erode the track a lot quicker and later on have some big problems.
2. make sure that there are not house near becuase a good 4 stroke aftermarket pipe pust out some big DBs .
Those are the important ones
Bro

Rhino
05-10-2002, 08:41 PM
I guess I pretty much know what to do. I just like to read up on stuff before I tackle a project, so I was hoping there was some literature out there. One good thing is I don't have any neighbors close enough to complain about noise. I would be interested in seeing some track layouts and for those of you who have built large scale tracks, what have you used to move dirt. Bobcat, dozer, tractor w/loader or gnuse bucket. Let me know.

Nausty
05-10-2002, 09:45 PM
stay away from sand and try to get clay on the lower area's and dirt for the jumps and make them kinda big at first because they will settle a lot. Before you ride if you won't be able to maintain them you should water down the faces of the jumps so they harden and don't rut out. And whatever you do make sure you plan out on water drainage and where its gonna go.

flyin#5
05-11-2002, 08:56 AM
my track gets flooded with heavy rains. it is kind of wierd hitting a jump when it is a foot under water... lol. it is flooded right now and it sucks but atleast the water keeps the farmer from planting his crops through my track!

for advice dont use sand for the jumps unless you want to repair them after every ride. i like to use good black dirt. i also use the grass from the top of where your getting the dirt from to put on the top of the jump, it really holds it in place with all the roots.

trx400ex
05-11-2002, 11:50 AM
sand makes the track rogher, like wlong whoops, so you could put some in the straights, and in corners, so it will give you a real work out, but like everyone else has said, use clay , or atleast dirts for the jumps or they will get ruined quick, how much land do you have to work with? use a dozer if you will be buiding big jumps such as table tops and triples, if its mostly bank turns and doubles, a backhoe or bobcat will be fine, it just takes longer with the bobcat, so it might not be cheaper to rent one once you add it all up....umm are you going to haul in dirt, or barrow it? a dozer wuould be great for digging a slanting ditch through the middle that would provide drainage and dirt

fmf300ex23
05-11-2002, 04:27 PM
I think it was last months Dirtwheels had a write up that Doug Gust did like 2 or 3 pages, explaining the DO's and DON'Ts in building a track and some hints, hes is the MAN so whatever he says i would do, ha well see if you can find that issue.

Drew

Zero Z400
05-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Appleman847's uncle has a sweet track. They had some dood use a bobcat, the jumps are clay and the turns are sand. I really liked the sand turns. Also i made a little jump, i used a bail of hay and put dirt on it. I also am making one with railroad ties and playwood, just gonna put something behind the plywood for suport, and cover it in dirt. Using other materials makes it a helofalot easier to build w/ just a shovel!

Later

OutlawEX
05-12-2002, 12:11 AM
that table top is long but not high enogh to get some air i can tell

05-12-2002, 10:21 AM
Believe me when you hit 3rd pinned you get up there. The face is in the ground more. Here is the pic.

05-12-2002, 07:55 PM
That jumps not wide enough, the one i built can fit 4 quads side by side.

Zero Z400
05-12-2002, 11:02 PM
Yeah I agree that isn't very wide. But it would be fun to race neck and neck to it!!!!!!!!

Later

QuadTrix6
05-28-2002, 12:04 PM
im not exactly sure how a jump should be built....should it be steep?, round at the top?, or should i build a lip on it? or no, i used to jump jumps on my bmx bike but im sure the jumps need to be differt any info would be great

250rmike
05-28-2002, 01:12 PM
depends how you wanna jump. if you wanna jump high tha put more of a lip, if you wanna go farther then you dont put as much of a lip on it.

Rip_Tear
05-28-2002, 07:56 PM
I am making my track right now, I am using a buldozer it is turning out pretty sweet. I have two real good friends who have their own tracks that are helping me out, and telling me how everything should look and be. It is nice to have the equipment to use, I have a UNI-Loader and Back-Hoe, and my neighbor is letting me use his Buldozer for FREE!!! he is being real nice, he wants to ride on it with his son so that is fine. Most of my track is clay, dirt, and there is some sand. I will post pictures when it is finished. The track is huge, it is 5 acers long and 2 acers wide and it will get bigger as I get more confident riding it.

Hope you are having as much fun as I am. :D

Blake24
05-28-2002, 09:19 PM
anyone have a track layout.........i have enough equipment to make the track but i would prolly end up makeing a boring track..........if anyone has a good layout that they like post it or send it to me at blakeb_15@hotmail.com thx! i want to make a track real bad!

OCCRA288
05-29-2002, 03:28 PM
send a layoutmy way (webfearmusic@hotmail.com) too please.