PDA

View Full Version : Krylon Fusion Clearcoat

jayhawk25
03-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey I ordered some maier plastic and ended up with the old dull stuff. Has anyone had any luck with the Krylon Fusion Clearcoat on plastics. I paid the same amount for mine as what maier sells the shiny ones for and don't want to ruin them.

carlj75
03-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Can't you send them back?

Lolli2
03-25-2005, 06:13 AM
I don't know where you got them, but I'd complain.

BLAZE1
03-25-2005, 09:41 AM
What color are they??

Personally I like some of the dull ones.
That is coming from someone with a flat black CBR!!:macho

jayhawk25
03-30-2005, 10:14 AM
No I can't send them back, they were ordered through a local parts shop. They are red and I am painting my frame to match. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever used the KRYLON FUSION paint with any luck.

CannondaleRider
03-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Heres a "tip" someone gave me. I bought 2 sets of front and rear plastic for my Cannondale from Cycra, but all they had was red, so i'm going to paint one set black, and i'm not sure about the other set. But anyways

------------------------------------------------------------

Krylon Fusion Painting Directions

1. Take the plastic and rub it lightly with some 200 grit sandpaper. LIGHTLY, otherwise you will leave deep scratch that will show.

2. Clean the plastic really well with a tack cloth. Then use brake cleaner in the folds and bends to get any grease and grime out.

3. Use a good cleaner with ammonia or rubbing alcohol. Something that will not leave a film.

4. Put on the first coat as more of a speckle job. Do not try and cover everything on the first couple of coats. Make them thin. And do at least three coats to cover the whole thing in the first 24 hours, But not to close together.

5. Let sit AT LEAST 5-7 days to harden and dry, Then apply another coat or two.

6. Wait until the tack is gone on the final coat you apply. And then use a clear acrylic coating. Do not get very close to the paint when using the clear coat. Always stay a foot back or you will cause an 'orange peel' effect. I like to spend 2-3 days with the clear coat. Usually about 2 cans for the rear and 2 cans for the front.

7. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! After it dries for a couple of days. Put it in the tub and wet sand LIGHTY with 1500 grit paper. You must wet sand! It will make the surface very smooth and slick. That helps it not to chip and does not give place for mud to stick and make it start flaking. Be very careful on the edges, those are the first place that it's going to chip.

If you take your time with Fusion and do it right, you can get some fantastic results. And with the cheap price of red(came from CannondaleRiders, talking about the red from Cycra and about $20 of Fusion and clear coat you can have any color you want.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I havent tried it, but it seems like it will work well.

If the plastic is REALLY bad, you might want to Plastic Renew it first possibly. my brother-in-law was thinking of painting a set of his plastic and was going to plastic renew it first. But i'm not sure if it would be needed with the 200 grit sanding and all the cleaning.

dopeyferree
03-31-2005, 03:57 AM
Here is a pic of my Raptor with the Krylon Fusion Paint. Just make sure you take your time and prep your fenders for a smooth finish. Mine is holding up pretty good so far.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid162/pf20e284d8492549095cd788807d5ad59/f4a8ca81.jpg