PDA

View Full Version : axle nut

dirtmomma
03-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Ok I'm just curious what all of you do to make your axle nut stay TIGHT!!?? I have problems w/ mine coming loose ALL THE TIME right now I can't afford one of the fancy ones, I wish I could ;)

Any suggestions?? I have tried duct tape but that was @ the dunes so of course it didn't last long LOL ;)

bradley300
03-24-2005, 09:53 AM
i just snug up the inner nut, then get a 2 foot long pipe wrench and tighten the outernut as much as i can, i also use some loctite, but dont use to much. if you use too much loctite, it crystalizes and wont do anything

big bad beny
03-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
i just snug up the inner nut, then get a 2 foot long pipe wrench and tighten the outernut as much as i can, i also use some loctite, but dont use to much. if you use too much loctite, it crystalizes and wont do anything

Use the Blue loctite and you dount half to worry about it not coming apart when wating to take it apart

YFZ450Ridr
03-24-2005, 04:44 PM
mine came all the way loose during a ride once so me and my dad got a big pipe wrench, tightend up the inner nut and then tighened up the lock nut on the outside. it has been in perfect working order since then.

dirtmomma
03-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Hmm well maybe mine is worn out :( cuz we've tightened & tighened it & it STILL comes loose POS :) guess might have to throw down some $ for a aftermarket one!!

300exOH
03-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I bought a used durablue(I think) lock nut off of here for around $25. Worth the investment to me. The stock one makes a nice paper weight for the shop/garage.

big bad beny
03-25-2005, 07:05 AM
try to use the blue loctite befor u buy a aftermarket one. i dount see how it could be worn out

YFZ450Ridr
03-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by big bad beny
try to use the blue loctite befor u buy a aftermarket one. i dount see how it could be worn out

well if it keeps coming loose and you keep tightening it, the threads could get worn out and not work to full capacity.

MX wannabe
10-30-2005, 12:06 PM
i am having the same problem with my 300 but ,y axle was like really loose before and i took it all apart changed the bearings and now the nut is really tight but the brake disc and axle are still loose what should i do help

(T) (L) (U)
10-30-2005, 06:29 PM
what i did is i tightend the nut tight as possible then take duct tape and put it as close as you can to the nut it holds it on relly really good

exman
10-30-2005, 09:46 PM
reverse the threaded barrell,,,,make sure your bearings in carrier are in straight and are good,,,,,make sure quad is off the ground...tighten the big one snug,,,,and then crank on the lock nut (small one).....check yuou bearings,,,bad bearings will loosen them, bent axle will loosen them and loose avle hub nuts will loosen it.

MX wannabe
10-31-2005, 08:38 AM
ok i found the problem it was cause the nut wouldnt go all the way on the axle because i accidentally painted the threads so it wouldnt go snug but thanks for your help...