PDA

View Full Version : Shock FAQ

omaits
03-23-2005, 10:56 AM
I am thinking about buying some a-arms and shocks and I am really lost regarding all the different shocks.

I have a couple questions...

1) What is long travel?

2) What is tripple rate?

3) How do "rezzies" help?

4) If I buy the shocks, will I have to get them setup for my weight / riding style. If so, how much additional money would be needed for this?

5) Is buying used shocks advisable?

If anyone else has any questions to add, feel free. I am totally lost on shocks and look forward to learning as much as I can.

Thanks!

cdalejef
03-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Ok, in a nutshell:

1) What is long travel? Basically a longer than stock shock that adds a little travel and holds more oil for less fade and more adjustment.

2) What is tripple rate? Three rates of springs, meaning as the shock compresses it goes through 3 different springs each being stiffer than the next.

3) How do "rezzies" help? They help to keep the shock from over heating.

4) If I buy the shocks, will I have to get them setup for my weight / riding style. If so, how much additional money would be needed for this? They will automatically be setup for your weight and riding style at no extra charge.

5) Is buying used shocks advisable? Most certainly YES!!!! You won't belive how much of a difference they make. The single biggest improvement you can make to a quad.

omaits
03-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff. I just have a couple more questions based on what you said...

What is fade???? I hear this term thrown around alot.

Also, just to clarify... when I asked about buying used shocks, I guess I meant to say: "Should I buy used or new?" I am assuming used shocks would have to be setup again, which would cost extra, but how much extra?

Also, since they are so expensive, I feel a little apprehensive about buying something used that costs that much. Do the shocks work just as good as they did when they were new or am I right to be skepticle?

Thanks Jeff.

cdalejef
03-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Fade is when the oil gets so hot that it starts to break down and foam. This will cause loss of dampning and will create a springy feel (not good).
New is always better. It is highly doubtful that you will find a set that is from someone that weighs the same as you, rides the same type of terrain you do and uses the same quad setup that you do. They will not work as good as when they where new unless they have just had a service job.
Pricing will depend on what needs to be changed. Its a range from about $100 to $400.

omaits
03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I appreciate the help Jeff. This gives me a lot of direction when purchasing a set. By the way you are talking, it sounds like the shocks will take alot of care to setup and operate to keep them in "good as new" condition.

Thanks again.

cdalejef
03-23-2005, 12:34 PM
As a rule of thumb, if you race have them rebuilt every 6 months. If you trail ride do it about every year or so.