PDA

View Full Version : Shock and valving info needed

underpowered
03-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I just bought a set of burgard +2 +1 a-arms for my 300ex. I have the rec. series elkas on the front. A good friend of mine said he can revalve and respring them if i can get the specs for the shocks.

Do the elkas have shim type valving or check ball type valving?

How much nitrogen should each shock be charged at for the a-arms?

How do i figure out the correct set (weight) of replacement springs to order from elka?

Would Elka be willing to help me out with my questions?

All of these questions are for +2+1 a-arms on a 300ex with a 160 lb. XC rider.

Thanks for any and all help.

JT

300exOH
03-23-2005, 08:13 AM
If your friend is able to rebuild your shocks then I would think he would be more familiar with Elkas valving. I would take the shocks to someone with experience with Elkas if you want the most out of your suspension. The folks at Elka would probably help you out if you need it though.

Colby@C&DRacing
03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
You need to send them to an experienced shock service center. If it is not done properly you can damage the shocks or worse.

Jonesy
03-23-2005, 11:06 AM
I accidentally posted under my brothers name in the original post. The guy who can do it primarily works on dirt bikes ( Scott Summers mechanic) He is race tech suspension certified, and is getting more and more requests for him to redo atv shocks. So basically i'm going to be the guinea pig for him. If it doesn't work out then I guess i'll be sending them to C&D since they are the cheapest of the 2 places that actually got back to me.

If the shocks have the shim type valving he says they are a piece of cake, since he literally has thousands of shims to work with. If it is the check valve type such as works shocks have i have to order new springs (stiffer) for the check valve.

Is there a formula to find out the current spring rate that I am currently running? I know it has something to do with the diameter of the spring, and number of coils.

Any other comments or help is appreciated.

Jonesy

cdalejef
03-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Are you talking about Corey?
The problem is there are literally thousands of combinations that can be changed in shocks. If he does not have the setup sheets from Elka (they require you too take their class to get these) then I would have someone do them that knows ATV shocks. Its not always best to have the cheapest person work on your shocks even if they are a friend.