PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if there is a noticeable difference grinding the welds??

frogburner
05-09-2002, 06:34 PM
I looked at a guys stock headpipe today, and felt around on the welds that everybody talks about, if i do grind those, should i tell a difference, or is it just a waste of time. If you dont mind, write me about this, cause i would like to find out a little more about the welds...

Woodsrider
05-09-2002, 06:45 PM
I did notice a difference, and now my freinds are doing it to their XR400's. It is not huge by any means but you should feel the diff.

05-09-2002, 06:56 PM
it's worth the little bit of work it takes

barbwire44
05-10-2002, 08:14 AM
ya i ground mine out and man i'll tell ya it was a night and day difference (of course I am legally blind). Don't waste youre time! Its like those same folks that think shining up the inside of youre cylinder on a two stroke makes a difference, The only thing that is gonna make a difference is reshaping and removing metal not the 1/32" bumps left over from casting the cylinder!

CranMan
05-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Well if you have the pipe off anyways, and have the tools to do it, it's worth the trouble. It's sort of like removing the choke, it lets things flow a little better. I am sure those welds being removed will give you a 5% to 10% increase in flow. The welds on mine were pretty fat...

Sparkles
05-10-2002, 10:07 AM
i dont think its worth the time and trouble, but it adds to the mods :D , i noticed a lil but nothing to go nuts over

ChadEXer
05-10-2002, 10:44 AM
It took me 5 minutes to do it. Of course i dont have my bike together and im sure i wont know if it made a difference with the 505 but im sure it was worth 5 minutes!!! i didnt have anything else to do:D