PDA

View Full Version : Bolt broke in engine NEED HElP *got pics*

awsomeaussies
03-22-2005, 07:06 PM
I broke this stud that connects the header pipes to the engine..... I'm not sure on how to get it out, or which way it's threaded. Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid162/p183c6dda9429b79ea6df1672e025774f/f4bdb87f.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid162/p97ad65ee5572ca14ad79ef2168380b48/f4bdb885.jpg

blue416ex
03-22-2005, 07:09 PM
i did it too i believe its reverse threads and a way to get it out would be to either drill it being carefull and use a helicoil or retap it
OR you could try and use some vise grips and grab it and undo it that way be sure to give it a few good tapps to try and break free the loc-tite:macho

Summit79
03-22-2005, 07:15 PM
It is not reverse thread it comes out counter clockwise.......... Don't drill........... Get a stud remover or put two nuts on there, tighten the nuts togeather and turn the one closest to the jug.

Joe400ex
03-22-2005, 08:28 PM
us a reverse bit

yamablaster24
03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
do what someone before said put on nut on 1/4' front the head then put another nut on until its flush and then back the one closest towards head out and the stud should come with it

rsimmons_82
03-22-2005, 08:53 PM
if you have already damaged the threads and cant double nut it, you can always weld a nut on the end of the stud.
this does two important things.

1. gives you something to put a wrench on to apply your torque

and

2. the heat from the weld will cause the stud to expand at first, thus breaking loose all the rust that has build up between the treads. (it'll also melt away the stuff put in at the factory to keep it from rattleing loose)

remeber though, when you go to pull the stud, go sloooow, use plenty of wd-40 and work it like your tapping a hole. if it gets in a bind, dont force it. turn the bolt the other way to break whats holding it up.

ive removed probably a 100 of broken studs/bolts this way. its an excelent way of removing the the broken bolt/stud.

id recomend using a mig!

good luck

rsimmons_82
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
oh yeah... be sure to plug your exhast ports... im sure you knew that all ready.

it really doenst look like you will be able to get 2 nuts on it, so welding it out might be your best option

awsomeaussies
03-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks for all the replys..... tomarrow I'll try to see if two nuts will fit and if not I'll do what rsimmons recommended, I'll just have to find someone with a welder.
Thanks again

yfz450rider29
03-22-2005, 10:22 PM
I know you want it fixed right and everything. But if you need it asap.....cant you just put your pipe back on with a nut???? if your gonna do the two nut thing..wont one nut on it work? or does the pipe cover the stud?

rsimmons_82
03-23-2005, 07:00 AM
id say that the stud brock off with the stud. it probaby brock off when he was loosening it (that generally how and when they break). think about it, if it breaks when your loosening the nut, there will not be enogh room to have the flange and room for a nut to hold on the flange...

hes got to get the stud out

Summit79
03-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by rsimmons_82
if you have already damaged the threads and cant double nut it, you can always weld a nut on the end of the stud.

Ahhh.... I forgot about the welding trick. That's definitly be the best way to go. Just don't drill whatever you do. Drilling hard steel out of soft aluminum NEVER does anything but screw stuff up. If you absolutely have to drill. Find yourself a small easy out. Don't try to drill the entire bolt out.

ryann mx68
03-23-2005, 12:23 PM
heres a trick i learned for exhaust flange studs, if you can, put the pipes back on, start motor and let warm up, shut off, remove pipes, either use the dbl nut trick or a 10" pipe wrench, i'd try the pipe wrench . looks like you just painted your motor, if your careful, you could use small torch w/ mapp gas [plumbers], the cylinder and bolt are diff materials, so they will expand and contract at diff rates, heating these up will help you get the stud out. hope this helps. this will work if you dont have a welder.

markk
03-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Summit79
It is NOT reverse thread it comes out counter clockwise.......... Don't drill........... Get a stud remover or put two nuts on there, tighten the nuts togeather and turn the one closest to the jug.

LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT U NEED TO DO!!!!!

awsomeaussies
03-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Well I was planning on trying the double nut thing, but like someone said before, there's probably not enough room for two nuts, and he was right. So, tomarrow I'm going to take my quad up to my parents work to weld a nut on it... I'll keep ya posted to see if it works....

oh ya, does anyone know how to get a new stud back in there, because if both ends are threaded what do you grab on too:confused:

BSTURDIVANT
03-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Definately weld nut on to get out- double nut to install.

rsimmons_82
03-23-2005, 09:33 PM
when you go to weld a nut on, heres a bit of advice. i use a nut that i one or two sizes bigger than the broken stud. this will let you have a bigger "puddle" of weld which will put more heat into the stud and help free up whats holding it in. the bigger nut also allows you to get a little more weld in there. if you use the same size nut, youll only get weld on the face of the stud, and may not get the penitration or enough strength in the weld.

after you get it welded, wait until the nut quits glowing (it should turn orange-redhot), then slowly start backing it out like a tap. if it binds up, stop and work it back and forth until it frees up. also use plenty of wd-40 (only after the weld, if b-4 you may not get a good clean weld), it should smoke like crazy, but i'll be ok.

hope this helps

awsomeaussies
03-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the advise.... I let you know how it goes tomarrow

awsomeaussies
03-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks rsimmons, just got the stud out yesterday, worked like a charm:)

rsimmons_82
03-26-2005, 07:56 PM
no prob.

remember this trick, its got me and a bunch of others out of alot of problems

400exrider707
03-26-2005, 10:20 PM
To put the new stud in you will need to double nut the stud and then it should go right in.