PDA

View Full Version : Advanced timeing key for 400ex good/bad?

400exstud
03-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Does anyone have an advanced timing key for their quad. I know you have to watch your gas octain if you run them in snowmobiles but how about the 400ex. Does it make a difference? Any info would be gladly appreciated.

cals400ex
03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
the throttle response is a bit more crisp. if you run premium, you will be fine.

400exstud
03-22-2005, 06:16 PM
do you have personal experience with one cause i would like to know as much as possible.

What degree would you run?

04'400ex'er
03-22-2005, 07:23 PM
The Curtis Sparks key is really popular. I think it is 5 degrees but im not sure. It tends to make the bike run hotter and I have herd that they are best on bikes with minor mods such as pipe and air filter and maybe a cam. but dont do well on heavily modded machines. I have no personal experience with one, this is just what i have herd about them. better throttle response and a little torque. I personally dont know if its worth it or not.

cals400ex
03-23-2005, 04:47 PM
yes i do have experience. they are not like a huge power gain but they do make the throttle response more crisp. the bike will run a tad warmer. also, the top dead center mark on the flywheel will be off a bit when you align it up because you advanced the timing 6 degrees. the left side cover along with the flywheel need to be removed to install it.